Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OMG, what happened to my new O.S .18TM????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMG, what happened to my new O.S .18TM????

howcome on os's website they have a different break in than there manual??

on the website they have plop tghe car on the ground and start driving med range speed and coast..only slowing to turn around..then the next tank just run it harder..im confused becuase in my cv-r's manual it says idle for a tank...[:-]

wow im lost

see on the o.s engine faq's and what ever..they say to drive and coast..on de manual on me o.s it says to plop it on a box..not the ground..maybe its just me
Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I think your manual is just old.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

I think your manual is just old.

ur manual says different?? i just bought the engine last year

do u have a o.s engine?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Freezetron

Mine also says idle for almost a tank as well.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

see..thats odd becuase the website says the opposite..hmm

maybe i will play as if i just bought an engine from o.s and it half malfuntioned..ill tell them i used o-donnels and say that i switched the glow plug to a #8...see if they tell me im still doing something wrong
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

How Do I Break In My R/C Car Engine?
The break in process of model engines, especially R/C car engines has been affected by a wide variety of myths and misconceptions. The main one is that the engine must be run at idle for several tanks' worth of fuel before the model is run. There is nothing farther from the truth! In fact, running the engine at idle for several tanks' worth of fuel will not only insure that your engine won't break in properly, but it could also reduce its overall life!

The purpose of the break-in process is to run the engine so that its moving parts will polish each other to a perfect fit. This requires that the engine be run at a variety of throttle settings so that the different parts will be affected by changing pressures and temperatures.

Typically, we start out with a moderately rich needle setting and start driving the car right away. We accelerate to a medium speed and then coast. Turn around and come back the same way. If the high-speed needle is so rich that the engine tends to hesitate a lot when throttle is applied, we'll lean it a bit to eliminate most of the hesitation.

After a few minutes of this, we start accelerating to a high speed and then coast. Turn around and come back the same way. We do this for the remainder of the first tank.

During the next two to three tanks' worth of running, we gradually lean the high-speed needle valve until the engine will run at full throttle at a setting just rich of peak RPM. One way to tell that the engine is on the rich side of peak RPM is to accelerate to full throttle and carefully listen to the engine. It should accelerate up and hold RPM, and not sag back down.

With the CV-series of engines, we'll set the high-speed needle about 2-1/4 turns open and lean from there. When fully leaned, the needle will be between 1-3/4 to 2 turns out from closed. The engine may still run with a leaner setting on the needle, but that setting may be lean enough to allow the engine to gradually overheat and quit. An overheat is a bad thing, and it will cause the piston/cylinder fit to go bad very quickly. "Thermal overload" is just another term for overheating.

If the engine is set too lean, the engine's internal parts can be damaged because they'll be starved of lubrication. Remember, the engine's lubrication is contained in the fuel, and a too-lean setting means too little fuel, which translates into too little lubrication.

Finally, O.S. states in their engine instructions that you should use a fuel that has an oil content of no less than 18% by volume. Many so-called "R/C Car" fuels contain oil in the 12%-14% range. While these may work quite well when the engine's set correctly, low-oil fuels do not leave much margin of error if the engine gets a lean run. Nitro content can be as high as 20% by volume without worry about special engine tuning or setup.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
tommythecat

Yes, the manual for my .18 TM has a heat-cycle-ish break in described. Not the particular method I use, but it is similar, in that it instructs you to prime it, start it, and then run it in short bursts on a block, then to start track running, rich in short bursts...blah blah blah.

They miss a lot of key points, but I haven't seen manufacturer's documentation that doesn't.

Keep in mind, you may have bought the CV-R last year, but it may have been boxed long before that.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

tue dat..but they way o.s engines sell at my lhs..they prolly have to order new cvr's every month..they cheap and good engines...why wouldnt they appeal lol
Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Freezetron

Allright, im sorry for my anger, rudeness and plain blunt stupidity. I have been so fustrated the last week ever since my TRX blew itself up and ever since then, it seems nothing has gone right lately with my Revo. Im just so angry that im having to go through so much just for a small vehicle that i've dumped so much money into it and no thanks in part to my newbness to the and lack of patience at some points, I just wanna throw my hands up and toss the damn thing in the garbage after todays crap fest. My glowplug decided to take a crap and leak fuel so I had to purchase ANOTHER glowplug but then the damn pull start broke on my after it locked up on the engine when I was running it, so thats ANOTHER part I have to replace! I'm just so fustrated, I think I may let the vehicle sit for a few days and do something else and not think or worry about it until I calm myself.

Part me wishes to ditch the hobby all together, part me wants to sell the Revo and get a Baja 5b and another part says to chill, take a few days off, order a new pull start/roto start *my hand farking hurts from that damn pull start* and try again at the LHS to watch over me.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

nothing a lil money cant fix lol

money will solve all ur problems with the revo
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
churchrvb
My Feedback: (9)

use a heat gun or hairdryer to heat the engine up before so its not as bad. i understand what ur going through i broke my pullstart thrursday cause the engine has so much pinch. i just went back to ezstart.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
tommythecat

You have the right idea, take a break, calm down, and don't go back to it until you are ready to sit down and take your time getting everything running right. Once you are ready to go, stop and check everything again. Set the carb back to factory:

The needle settings for the engine:

Needle Settings:
- High Speed Needle (Needle Valve) 2-1/2 turns out from closed
- Mid Range Needle (Mixture Control Valve) Screw head is exactly
1/2 turn in from flush with the carb body (pg 22 of
manual)
- Low Speed Needle (Metering Needle) Screw head flush with
ball link body (pg 22 of manual)

Go through the break-in as described on the O.S. website.

Watch your temps, you want it running over 200F during the break in. If it doesn't hit 200 after a few minutes of running, you may need to lean out the HSN a bit.

Take your time, make all adjustments one needle at a time and in very small increments carefully, driving after every tweak and observing the affect. The key is taking your time and doing everything carefully.

The hairdryer is a great idea. I always take my engines to 200 with a heatgun before I ever even turn them over the first time.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
churchrvb
My Feedback: (9)

though hairdryer my take a lil bit longer, heat guns, ya u gotta be careful they get hot fast.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 PM
IOWAREVO

As far as the "don't use Lock-tite on the head screws", I based that statement on the info I read @ the HPI Engine detectives website.

Naturally I felt they knew what they talking about and definitely have more experience than I do. If I mislead you in anyway I do

apologized. I feel your frustration, especially since it's an engine. Hang in there, don't give up the hobby yet. I agree with Tommythecat, Patience, and recheck, the pay off is factor.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Freezetron

Well, my LHS who's been a tremendous help the past few months since I got back into this hobby, we managed to fire up the engine yesterday, complete the break in and the O.S is running almost perfect now up until my pull start broke.

I dunno, maybe I don't have the patience for this particular niche of the hobby like I thought i did, I'm spending more time in fustration then I am having fun recently and maybe that should be my big clue. Maybe I should just go with a Baja 5b spend less time tuning/tweaking and more time having fun. Part me says just to give up all together and go back my console/pc/gaming hobby and leave this to the dedicated hobbyists.

I think im just gonna leave my Revo stuff sitting for the next week or so, take care of my girlfriends birthday and come back to it when im in a better frame of mind to decide if I wanna pursue this any further.

Understand if I leave ruffled feathers from my previous comments despite my regret in saying so. You guys rock for your help and knowledge and maybe i'll see you again down the road, well see.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

ill take ur revo off ur hands if u dont want it..i wont even charge u to take it off ur hands

no but really..i dont see a problem with the baja 5b..they look fun!

a guy at my lhs has 1..he takes it out of his pick-up truck..throws his baja on the ground...2 long pulls and its running
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Freezetron

Well, after a night off and getting some sleep and thinking about my options, I've decided to not give up quit yet and give it another go. I realized that part of my fustration was the physical labor involved in starting the engine with the pull start. My hand still hurts from pulling that thing over and over.

Its really nice to only have to carry around a glowplug instead of the EZ start or roto start, but I remembered that I wasn't as fustrated with engine troubles when I had my EZ start cause all I had to do was keep pushing a button. I ordered a complete roto start kit and some new tires and i'll give it another go and get my O.S all tuned up.

Anyway, I feel bad still for my attitude and I make no excuses cept I was fustrated, angry and just wasn't thinking which tends to happen to me when im like that, its a personality flaw. Its easy to pretend to a be a hotshot/bunghole while sitting in front of your computer typing text to random people on a forum you don't meet face to face.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Savage_Dias

Hang in there dude.... R/Cs can be beyond frustrating at times but when everything is working right they're a blast! Gaming is cool but it's nice to get outside when the weather is nice. With some experience you'll learn how to weed out the BS & it sounds like the guys at your LHS can provide some decent guidance. I totally agree with using threadlock! The heat will break it down a little but it's still keeping the screws from vibrating out.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Quickywd01
My Feedback: (3)

Everyone is a newb at one point but not everyone can resist the urge to post even if their info isn't correct.

There is a whole whole lot of misinformation thrown around here, but once you learn to wade through it, it isn't a bad forum.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
DaveG55

[quote]ORIGINAL: Quickywd01

Everyone is a newb at one point but not everyone can resist the urge to post even if their info isn't correct.

There is a whole whole lot of misinformation thrown around here, but once you learn to wade through it, it isn't a bad forum.
At least the vast majority of the misinfo is not malicious.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Reb2973

I just dont see where all the blame was put on the replies in this post,,where was he told something that made him"almost ruin his new engine". he tried to break it in the way his LHS told him,not the way somebody in here did..The only thing he should be mad at is OS for the loose head screws. I dont see any BS info that was told to him..just opinions on thread lock and break-in temps.

Anyways, he set that straight.Sorry to hear about the problems with the O.S. Let me know how the roto-start works with it and how you like it. I want to get one,but didnt want to try breaking in my O.S. motor with it in fear of it being so rich and flooding the engine without the protection mode the ez-start has.

My weed eater has a pull start on it and has been slung across the yard in anger from not starting,,There is no way I would put one on my revo
Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
-EXTRA-

i hear ya,the hobby gets frustrating i know,i just walk away and cool off and after thinking about the problem,get back at it again.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

man i agree with u guys..but the baja is sick..if i had a grand..id go for it..the gas is 2 dollars a gallon!!!!! not 30
Old 04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
-EXTRA-

lol,im all for 2 bux verses 30,mabe when i get a grand we will talk,although a grand will pay for the DownPayment on my tiburon..
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

lol,im all for 2 bux verses 30,mabe when i get a grand we will talk,although a grand will pay for the DownPayment on my tiburon..
lol really tho if u think about it..the baja prolly gets 50 miles to the gallon lol..u can ridwe that to work everyday..and if u stock up on like 30 dollars worth of gas..u can prolly travel to new york and back on that [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.