Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Gear ratios vs tire size??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:38 PM
slayerphonics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear ratios vs tire size??

I recently change my tires and rims to some proline rims and crime fighter tires, they are smaller around then the stock tires, so i figured i would loose some top end, but i've noticed when I hit 2nd gear it sounds like its already topped out.. has anyone had to change there stock spur or transmission gears? to compensate? I'm running a revo with an OS TM, Diff kit,
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 PM
89ram

Default RE: Gear ratios vs tire size??

get a larger clutch bell and smaller spur gear.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
jespo

The bigger the tires, the smaller the clutch bell. Think about how the bike gears work, lower the gear the easer it is to peddle and takes forever to get anywhere. The higher the gear the harder it is to peddle but once you get up to speed it gets easer. Just don't over do it.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 PM
slayerphonics

Ok so since my tires are smaller now.. I would need to get a larger clutch bell.? what about the spur?

ORIGINAL: jespo

The bigger the tires, the smaller the clutch bell. Think about how the bike gears work, lower the gear the easer it is to peddle and takes forever to get anywhere. The higher the gear the harder it is to peddle but once you get up to speed it gets easer. Just don't over do it.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:09 PM
vps.ryder

The larger diamater tire you have will make your truck go faster with less power, therefore putting the smaller tires on will give you more torque with a slower top speed. As for gear raito what motor and gears are you running right now? I belive stock is 15/38 so i would recomend a 16/38 to start and if that doesnt work you can go to 16/36
Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
slayerphonics

Running an OS .18TM with stock gears besides the Center Diff kit

ya stock is 15/38

A

ORIGINAL: vps.ryder

The larger diamater tire you have will make your truck go faster with less power, therefore putting the smaller tires on will give you more torque with a slower top speed. As for gear raito what motor and gears are you running right now? I belive stock is 15/38 so i would recomend a 16/38 to start and if that doesnt work you can go to 16/36