Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo starter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Outlaw Powersports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo starter question

Just got a used Revo today and have some newbie Revo questions. The strater motor light lights up when i push the red button, but the glow plug light does not. When I conect the starter to the car and push the button nothing happens and neither light goes on. I read the manual and do not see an explanation.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Beasley1

Default RE: Revo starter question

Check the wires that go from the ez start hasness to the ez start motor. There is something loose probably.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
rawkfist2

OK you need to be more specific.

When you put the Ez-Start Wand onto the car and press the red button to start, does the engine start to spin over? Also do you have AIM messenger or even a phone where I could walk you through everything?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Fantastic R!

Yea make sure all wires are not loose. Make sure blue wire is attach to the glow plug. Also, since you said you bought it used, most likely the glow plug need to be replaced. And check all batteries are fully charged.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM

From the start-

charge your ez start battery if you haven't already.

Make sure your ground wire is connected and not frayed.

Make sure your wires to your ez start motor are connected and in good condition.

Next check the EZ start plug on the car. All 4 posts should be straight, not bent or broken.

Next check the Plug end on the starter box. The receptacles should all be in good shape.

Remove the glow plug and inspect it. Make sure the element is not broken, and that the plug isn't burned or gummed, if so replace it.

Once the battery is charged put it into the starter box.

Make sure your glow plug wire is attached firmly to the glow plug. The easiest way is to grasp the end of the wire lightly with a pair of skinny needlenose pliers and press down lightly until it "clicks"

Plug the starter into the car and try to start it up. (Make sure your radio and servos/receiver is on!)

If you press the button and the both lights come on, and the engine starts to turn over, you're in good shape! Put your finger over the exhaust pipe for a few seconds until you can see the fuel move through the line to the top of the carb.

If the glow plug light doesn't come on, put a new plug in.

If both lights come on and the starter motor whirs but the engine doesn't turn over, check these things:

Make sure the wires are connected to the correct terminals on the starter motor.

Also check the one-way bearing. It may have failed or may be in backwards.

If both lights lights come on, and it seems like the engine is locked:

Remove the glow plug look to make sure the engine isn't stuck at Top-Dead_center. If so, you can turn the fly wheel with your thumb or a small screwdriver if necessary to free the piston.

Flooding/Vapor locking can also cause this. For that remove the glow plug and turn the car onto its side, then run the EZ start without the glow plug until the fuel is purged from the engine. Then put the plug back in and the wire on.

Sorry to be a bit lengthy, or if some of this is already basic knowledge to you. I just wanted to make sure most of the bases were covered.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
PiccoLow

In addition to what 667 said...If nothing lights up check the battery, and personally I'd checked the ground next, then the hot going to the ez start.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
6speednissan

My main problem with the ez start is one of the two wires connecting to the module itself popping off. It happened last night and I thought my motor was locked up, but it ended up being on of those wires. If you bought the truck used maybe the yellow wire that connects to the motor mount is not connected.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Outlaw Powersports

Thank you everyone for your input. Found out the EZ Start had a bad battery, also found the yellow ground wire was frayed. Works great now.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
ttoks

oh man, that little yellow wire, mine got cought in the flywheels once, very bad mojo
Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Outlaw Powersports

Thank you everyone for your input. Found out the EZ Start had a bad battery, also found the yellow ground wire was frayed. Works great now.
Glad to hear it's working. If your ground wire come apart just solder in a bullet connector in the middle of it. Makes it a lot easier to work on the truck when you can remove the EZ start harness without messing with the engine mounts.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 AM
jarett 92

ORIGINAL: 6speednissan

My main problem with the ez start is one of the two wires connecting to the module itself popping off. It happened last night and I thought my motor was locked up, but it ended up being on of those wires. If you bought the truck used maybe the yellow wire that connects to the motor mount is not connected.
this happened to me. get some needle nose pliers (sp?) and squeeze it a little bit so its a tighter fit on it. then it clicks right on and doesnt come off.