Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

big block revo guestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
2916jr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block revo guestion

does anybody know if the axial .28 spec 1 will drop in the traxxas big block converion
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
RCCanuck

Default RE: big block revo guestion

I would think any big block will fit into a big block kit.....
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Default RE: big block revo guestion

yeah, it will fit, but you have to use a bumpstarter. If you want to use a pullstarter of a rotostarter you have to use the New Era BB kit. and if you are using a bumpstart, I would buy the Qconcepts kit, from what I hear it is the best kit for bumpstarting, and the traxxas mound isn't very sturdy (again, I don't know this first hand). For the engine, if you don't already have it, I would suggest the STS D30M, and the matching STS 0702 pipe. the STS D30M is one of the most powerful engines you can buy. the engine, matching pipe, and the new era mount will cost you exactly $212, making one of the cheapest engines availible.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Transformersgen

Sorry I'm new so hope I'm doing this right!! I have a revo I want to make it a erevo I know there r conversion kits I've considered but can I transfer everything from revo to a erevo chassis and buy a transmission? Help please
Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Transformersgen
Sorry I'm new so hope I'm doing this right!! I have a revo I want to make it a erevo I know there r conversion kits I've considered but can I transfer everything from revo to a erevo chassis and buy a transmission? Help please
Long quite doing this right! Lol. Seriously though, unless a thread is similar to the question you're asking you should just start a new thread. A big block Revo thread has nothing similar to your question.

As as for your question, the answer is yes. The Revo and Erevo use the same bulkheads so they will bolt onto either chassis. You'll need new center driveshafts, a transmission and if you have a 3.3 Revo you'll also need the links that go from the servo born to the bellcrank. The only other difference is the differentials. The Erevo diffs use a diff cup that has metal inserts to support the spider gears, the Revo doesn't. That diff cup with the metal inserts makes the diff a little stronger so if you end up blowing a diff upgrade to the Erevo parts.

Just a FYI, the Traxxas website is a great resource. They have exploded views with part numbers so checking compatability is pretty easy. Just open the exploded views you want to compare in 2 separate Windows and compare part numbers. In this case the bulkheads have the same part number.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM
revo6929

Hello everyone I'm new to the site. I do have a question. I'm wanting to do a big block revo project. Anybody kno what is the best engine mount for this ?
Old 01-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Maj_Overdrive

The only Revo big block mount (that I'm aware of) still in production is the Traxxas mount. So unless you can find someone selling a used mount that's your only option. The Traxxas mount (and all mounts except the New Era) don't accept pull start engines (starter box only) without further modifications to the truck. Big block engines are longer than the small block Traxxas engine and a pull start or rotostart will interfere with the rear upper a-arm. The solution is to ditch the pull start and use a starter box or getting a special upper a-arm that has a step in it to clear the pull/roto start.

New Era made a mount that placed the engine up a little higher and leaned it over more to clear the upper a-arm. This is the only mount I know of that did this. I've heard of some people that claim certain roto start engines can clear the stock upper a-arm but I don't know what they were or if they're still made anymore.

Honestly I'd seriously consider not going with a big block. There's lots of tinkering involved as well as fabrication and finding the right parts that'll fit such as the flywheel and clutchbell which vary by what engine you're using. Instead you can make it more simple and go with a mid block engine. As the name implies they're in the middle (as far as external dimensions) between small and big block but have larger displacement and power. They also accept the stock flywheel/clutch and even the Traxxas EZ-Start or a Traxxas pull start. The links below are for the 3 that I know of.

http://novarossidirect.com/N25SCRT-R...VO_p_3336.html
http://teampicco.com/index.php/p-max-21-for-revo
http://www.osengines.com/engines-car...082/index.html
Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 PM
revo6929

I do have 2 already with the big blocks and I love them. I was really hoping that there where other mounts available. I built mines in 2011-2012. My son wants one and we have everything except for a engine mount. I guess I'm going to try to track one down. If worst comes to worst I'm a machinist I will just get some numbers, write a program, and machine one lol. I'd rather just buy it tho.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Captsteve8

If you do make a New Era clone mount, I will take one.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
revo6929

Okay will do. I was trying to actually find anew era mount to make drawings but I guess I'm going to have to engineer the thing from scratch
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Maj_Overdrive

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1555.l2649

Might want to try contacting the seller and see if he'll make anymore for you. Might have a couple lying around that never got listed too.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Captsteve8

That is great news. Did he make them for New Era? I will send him a quick message.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Captsteve8

Revo6929 maybe you should start a new thread and see if someone would send you a New Era big block mount to make some clones. You might be surprised how many people would want one.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:14 PM
revo6929

I will try that. I do have the full capabilities to at run them with a test piece available. But if not I will try my best to make something work. Thanks for all the support.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:56 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by Captsteve8
Revo6929 maybe you should start a new thread and see if someone would send you a New Era big block mount to make some clones. You might be surprised how many people would want one.
The eBay link was just someone who had the ability to make a clone of the New Era kit. From what I found during a quick search they last offered them in September 2015, the most recent I could find.

Originally Posted by revo6929
I will try that. I do have the full capabilities to at run them with a test piece available. But if not I will try my best to make something work. Thanks for all the support.
I'm not a machinist but have decent experience fabricating stuff. I'd think one of the harder aspects would be getting the throttle arm Bellcrank position just right. When setting up my old New Era kit I had to swap throttle arms and mod the bellcrank a bit to get it right. If it was me I'd pick up a Traxxas mount so I'd have something to go by for the throttle arm. Then maybe cutoff the bottom of the bottom of the mount and add a wedge in between to get the engine up higher and leaned over more like the new era. Might be worth searching for others who made a clone, there might be drawings of the original posted on a forum somewhere.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:09 AM
Captsteve8

Maj Oberdrive, do you still have an Original New Era mount? Or know some one that does.