Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OS 18tm Breakin - Update!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:06 AM
RevoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 18tm Breakin - Update!!

Update: Problem solved. After many hours of trying to tune and battling in general, my wife came up with the solution. "Why don't you put on the Trinity that you bought for the engine a month ago?"

Changed the pipe and the engine came to life. I didn't change a thing but the pipe. Now it is running like the champ it is.

Thanks for all the help. It is really appreciated.

G

Guys, I need some help. I am trying to help a friend break in a 18tm, but we can't ge tthe thing to even idle. iw will start up and run for 5 to 10 seconds, and then die again. It seems to be running very rich, but I'm not sure if we should make it leaner. We are trying to do a heat cycling break in, but it will not idle, and the highest temp we have had has been about 180. (Keep in mind it is about 115 here in the shade)

What would you suggest? I have check for airleaks (none), and have sealed the engine. I know it is a tuning issue, but didn't want to mess with it before I asked the question on here.

Thanks

G
Old 08-12-2007, 06:05 AM
crazzyrevo

Default RE: OS 18tm Breakin

to rich lean a 1/8 turn
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
DaveG55

Yep, it's to rich.
Lean it 1/8 turn at a time until it stays running. You can safely go up to about 1/2 turn total but keep an eye on the temps. I had to lean my TM about 3/8 of a turn to get it to saty running. For the heat cycle break-in you want a minimum of 200 deg F, personally I like to see 210 - 220
Old 08-12-2007, 04:07 PM
TtotheRAXXAS

That engine comes from the factory very rich. Lean it a bit until it will idle, and then you can heat cycle it.

I had to lean around 3/8 also to get it to idle here, but lean it 1/8 at a time until it idles steadily.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:17 PM
bud09

i will b gettin an os 18tm here in a few pay checks. wat would the best break in proccess b? and if it is heat cycle i dont no wat that mens and i dont hav a temp gun. can i break it in like i did with the trx 3.3? but stretch it out a few more tanks, i no it has really hi compresion.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:58 PM
DaveG55

Some people will tell you the heat cycle method is the best. I like that method because it is the fastest. You don't HAVE to have a temp gun to do it that way but it does make it easier.
But the bottom line is any break-in method you use will be ok.
The TM will come with a manual that will give the OS instructions for break-in or, if you prefer, you can use the Traxxas method. Just do a break-in and be patient because the TM is a very tight engine when new.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
bud09

i no its very tight from reading other posts about how ppl cant start it.
thx for the info.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
TtotheRAXXAS

Technically, you don't HAVE to have a temp gun to do the heat cycle.

The method i used from http://www.cooperfuels.com/Break-in.htm actually says that a temp gun is useless (at the bottom). But i would definitely use one if ya have one, just to make sure you are getting the engine into the 200-220 range. If not, just let the engine break into a clean two cycle run, and run it like it says to run it in the break in method i mentioned. I did it, and i think it worked very well.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
mjs3350
My Feedback: (12)

Harbor Freight has a cheap temp gun for $10...it maxes out at ~230 degrees, but at least you know you're over the recommended 200 degree temp for heat cycling. if you're above ~230, you can use the water drop test to make sure you're not too hot (about 2-3 seconds for the water to boil away is normal for a broken in tuned engine, 6-7 seconds is good for break in temps.)
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
sunco1

when i first started my os .18 up, i had to make the turn the idle up. but yea, the engine comes very rich.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
RevoG

Thanks for all the advise. We have been battling with this engine for a while now, and now we can get it to idle. Problem is it will not run at more than ΒΌ throttle. Sounds like it is flooding, and then dies. Starts up again aesy enough, but we can't tune at all. I have treid every combination known to man, but the temps will not go above 200. Any other advise?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
mjs3350
My Feedback: (12)

sounds like it's running rich...turn the HSN in 1/8 turn and see if it helps...do it again if the engine still is loading up on you. you might want to lean the LSN a little bit too...but remember leaning the HSN also leans out the low speed so i'd start with the HSN.