Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

bought a picco 26 (BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
ELMOBSTER
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a picco 26 (BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!)

i took out a perfect running 3.3 out of my revo an installed a picco 26, just because i wanted something different, i have always bought traxxas engines and i have never had one problem breaking them in or tuning them, this picco is a nightmare!! in order to get this thing to have a steady idle you have to turn the idle up more than where it needs to be and then richen up the low end a lot, then it has no take off, it has great top speed but then you bring it in and its hung up on high idle and then it comes down to a low gurgle idle then you try leaning the low speed a little at a time then i start geting some low end response, the more i lean the better my throttle response but then the idle stays up and then it slowly comes down but it's not always smooth, no matter where you set the low speed the pinch test is about 2 seconds, my 3.3 would pull the wheels everytime and would idle perfect no matter how hard you ran it. i know it sounds like tuning but its not, i have been tuning traxxas motors over 6 years, i have never had an issue like this, if i could do it over i would have never purchased the picco[sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 08-31-2007, 07:00 PM
rawiswar

Default RE: bought a picco 26 (BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!)

what pipe you got on it you need a side pipe and also you could be getting tank lean alot get a header tank
Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
RCCanuck

did u seal up the backplate and carb pinch bolt?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
ELMOBSTER

i have the stock pipe and i never heard of a header tank, i didn't seal the back plate or the carb pinch bolt, i used soap and water on those parts and blew through the fuel line but didnt see any bubbles
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Danju

hmmm....this makes me thinks twice about getting a picco for my new engine....hmmmm
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
passinby

its the stock pipe it cant breathe threw it try the trinity pipe i have the same motor on mine and ive never had any probs but you really need a bette pipe
Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
ttoks

the pipe isn't going to affect the idle so your not really helping with his problem, i have a feeling you may be to lean on the low which is causing your idle problems, you have broken the engine in no? also remember to always tune the high speed needle before you even touch the low speed, when you lean the high, you also lean the low, so if you tune the low first you will overly lean the low once you start with the high.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I an safely bet that this is user error...... Picco makes excellent engines, as soon as I can afford one I will buy a Picco .26 for my T-maxx. This sounds like an airleak, seal that sucker up.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 PM
DaveG55

You may think the tuning is not the issue but I'd be willing to bet you're wrong. The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of the hsn and lsn being out of ballance.
Read the following link really well (the printiong is tiny but it's worth the effort. Ron Paris was an rc wizard and his stuff is still helping people years after his passing.
[link=http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:Lnu4TmIS3VYJ:http://www.nitroreview.com/hintstips...=clnk&cd=1]Ron Paris Tuning Guide[/link]
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
ELMOBSTER

i guarantee it's not tuning; but i understand why you would think that, it is hard to say whats wrong with out actually seeing and hearing whats its doing. i have tuned about 15 nitro engines in the last 6 years, and i never had one that it couldn't tune or find out what is wrong with it, all my friends call me when they have problems with there engines because they know ill get it running like its supposed to, so i guarantee it's not user error. i have spent 3 days trying to figure this out , if this was the first nitro engine i had ever purchased i would have quit this hobby as soon as i started
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
ttoks

elmo, i wouldn't brush off daves advice so easily, he is one of our best members here, with a lot of experiance with nitro engines, if i were you i'd seriously consider his advice and try waht he's saying before you pass it up.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:06 AM
ELMOBSTER

i didnt mean to sound like i was brushing off his advice, thats why im on here because i will take everyones advice, im just a little disappointed at the moment, the more i read about air leaks the more i think thats what im dealing with,
Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Hoese37

ill buy it from ya if you want?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:34 AM
ttoks

the first paragraph of the ron paris tuning guide touches ont he very problem you are having, the unstable idle, so i would look at that first if i were you, check the gap between the carb slide and body.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 AM
splcrazy

maybe you just got a dud picco. talking about engines with the expert at my hobby shop he said himself that picco isnt verry good thats why im gonna go with a OS.30 engine for my savage x4.6 then it will be a true monster truck lol . ill see how that goes & if its good ill whack one in my revo aswell then get a spectrum 3 radio , man those radios are cool .
Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 AM
ttoks

i strongly advice against the O.S .30, it uses a nickel piston sleeve instead of brass and wears out very quickly (within 13 liters (around 3 gallons) of fuel in many cases), picco engines are generally good engines however, my LHS said the picco engines were dud engines as well, untill he started stocking them, now they're kings, what they sell is always the best you can get to them, and what they dont sell is always the worst (that was the same guy who told me piccos are dud that said the novarossi 528 is less powerful and less reliable then the STS .28 3 port lol)
Old 09-01-2007, 05:55 AM
splcrazy

then if os .30 is no good what should i get ? and i dont care about the price , i want power
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM
ttoks

STS D30M, cheap, and one of the most powerful engines you can buy, a bit low quality though, there are a host of engiens you can put in a savage, ranging from $650 aussie (novarossi N528 8 port and the RB concepts TM928) down to $250 or so (sts D30M is $279 at my LHS, an LRP .28 spec 3 is a good engine), dpends how much your willing to spend, but the nova rossi n528 with a jammin JP-3 pipe is the best you can buy, about $800 for that package though so maybe not your cup of tea, the sts with the JP-3 is about $400 aussie.

sorry for hijacking there, splcrazy, PM me if you have another Q, or if you wanna go the STS drop SAVAGEJIM a line, give the engine a mention.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 AM
ELMOBSTER

it does sound like a tuning issue and thats what i would think if i read this but i have done every type of tuning possibility there is and its the same result every time. i can almost get it to run some what decent with plenty of speed and it doesn't run hot at all it's just the idle is crazy no matter what adjustment you do, then when you come out the next day thinking it's going to run like where you left off SURPRISE!!!!!!! the idle is way high again and when you open it up it falls on face till you let up on the gas, so i richen up the high needle and here we go again,
Old 09-01-2007, 08:37 AM
nucular

This may be a dumb question - did you buy the picco new or used?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
ELMOBSTER

brand new 5 days ago
Old 09-01-2007, 09:26 AM
DaveG55

I've been tuning itro engines since I was 10 y/o, I'm 52 now and have tuned more engines than I can remember but I'm not closed minded enough to believe that it could not be something else. However, two old saws come to mind.
"If it looks like *****, smell like $**** and tastes like *****, it's probably $****."
and
"There is none so blind as he who will not see."

Your symptoms are 99% of the time tuning related but you've already decided that's not it. So, go ahead, seal the engine it may help but, in any case, won't hurt and good luck with your problem.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:41 AM
ELMOBSTER

thanks for your input, i do agree with you it does sound like tuning, thats why i keep messing with it, i have never had any tuning problems like this if thats what it is, the only engines i have tuned were traxxas and people say they are a pain, i think they are pretty easy to tune. im going to call ofna next week to see what they say. thanks again
Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
ttoks

yes YES!!, someone else who thinks the 3.3 is easy to tune.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:50 PM
ELMOBSTER

just want to say thanks to everyone for your input, after sealing the engine i put a little soap and water on the carb mount and back plate and pinch bolt, i blew through the line and still nothing, then i put some on the front bearing and blew the line again and whataya no!!!!! HERE COME THE BUBBLES!! never had to deal with a air leak before,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.