Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx/OS .18 problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
snbartley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx/OS .18 problem.

So I need some help with a couple of problems. For a little pre info I have just replaced my engine with a new .18tm. Out of the box I was having problems with it eating plugs, priming and starting. The head was loose from the factory. After tightening it it was running great at factory settings. It ran five or six tanks without problems well sort of. It was having a hard time shifting to second then it would stick and not want to shift back down. It also was not wanting to shift between forward and reverse. The reverse problem I think was due to having a fast idle. Today it burned up two plugs and appeared to be running lean. Just to make sure I made sure it was still at factory setting and put in a third plug. Ran two tanks without problems. After sitting for several hours I tried to run it again. This time it is running very rich so rich that it is spitting fuel out the pipe and will not go to full power and will not shift. After several minutes of trying to get it to run it suddenly sped up and made a WOT pass that sounds normal then after slowing and turning around just as I begin to hit the throttle it jumped bacwards like it was in reverse then nothing the enigine just spun at a high idle with no movement. After shutting down and restarting the truck still has great low end power but will not shift and just seems to bog down at WOT. I know this a lot of stuff just hoping someone can shed some light on what I should do to fix this. Was thinking that maybe I was having a tranny problem? Or maybe the engine is bad? Being that it had a loose head maybe it is going to have long term problems?

Scott
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
donny939

Default RE: T-Maxx/OS .18 problem.

sounds like jetting and tranny,slipper clutch, spur gear
Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Redrawker

ORIGINAL: snbartley

So I need some help with a couple of problems. For a little pre info I have just replaced my engine with a new .18tm. Out of the box I was having problems with it eating plugs, priming and starting. The head was loose from the factory. After tightening it it was running great at factory settings. It ran five or six tanks without problems well sort of. It was having a hard time shifting to second then it would stick and not want to shift back down. It also was not wanting to shift between forward and reverse. The reverse problem I think was due to having a fast idle. Today it burned up two plugs and appeared to be running lean. Just to make sure I made sure it was still at factory setting and put in a third plug. Ran two tanks without problems. After sitting for several hours I tried to run it again. This time it is running very rich so rich that it is spitting fuel out the pipe and will not go to full power and will not shift. After several minutes of trying to get it to run it suddenly sped up and made a WOT pass that sounds normal then after slowing and turning around just as I begin to hit the throttle it jumped bacwards like it was in reverse then nothing the enigine just spun at a high idle with no movement. After shutting down and restarting the truck still has great low end power but will not shift and just seems to bog down at WOT. I know this a lot of stuff just hoping someone can shed some light on what I should do to fix this. Was thinking that maybe I was having a tranny problem? Or maybe the engine is bad? Being that it had a loose head maybe it is going to have long term problems?

Scott
As for the not shifting into 2nd/bogging problems, you need to tune it! It sounds like its rich on the HSN. BTW, did you go through "break in" or did you just plop it on the ground and go?

Now, to address the revving problem. It sounds to me that one of two things could be wrong. 1.) your slipper could be lose. Solution: Tighten you slipper all the way until it stops, then back off 3/4 of a turn.

2.) Your truck may be getting stuck between forward and reverse. Solution: get [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMJG1&P=7]F.O.C.[/link] (Forward Only Conversion) I'm guessing you have a T-maxx 2.5? This problem is quite common for that model.

That's what I can get from what you're telling me.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
snbartley

OK so here is some more info. Yes I did a full break in per the OS manual. As for the slipper clutch it is tight and has a new spur gear mounted with the new engine. It is a 3.3. As for the HSN I slowly leaned it out today which did seem to improve it a little however after almost a full turn in from factory setting there was little to no smoke and the thing would still only shift once and a while. It seems to be bogged down and just will not speed up.

Scott