Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MONSTER TRUCK

Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MONSTER TRUCK

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
dave30250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MONSTER TRUCK

Greetings Everyone !

I am looking to get my first nitro monster truck and i am looking the savage x 4.6 rtr and the revo 3.3. I will bash in my backyard in the wood, bmx track and dirt. I want the ultimate performance, i want TORQUE, i fear that the little 3.3 in the wood or grass will have difficulty to start quickly and will need to rev to get his power, but it is also lighter... WITCH TRUCK IS THE STRONGEST between the savage and the revo ! i don t want a war between the two clan, i want non biased answer from honnest people that has KNOWLEDGE.

Thank you in advance i know there are here a lot of nice person that has knowledge to give me some help to buy my first nitro monster truck, i am 25 years old and i feel like a little kid waiting for cristmass! i don t want to feel i didn t make the right decision when the order will be past on tower or hobby.

Thank you !

Dave from Montreal.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
dave30250

Default RE: NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MONSTER TRUCK

By the way i saw that a LOT of person are installing RB TM523 AND OTHER BIG BLOCK ENGINE IN THE REVO 3.3, THAT IS ANOTHER POINT WHY I FEEL THAT THE REVO HASN T ENOUGH JUICE TO COMPETE AGAINST THE SAVAGE 4.6 WHAT DO YOU THINK ?!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Beasley1

Default RE: NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT MONSTER TRUCK

They say the savage is tougher (I have never had one) but I seen one run at my LHS and the gears sounded awful in it. Like it was whinning when it was going. Plus it was a little slow for my taste.

I am a Revo guy and I will never get rid of mine. You can buy tons of after market hop ups for it and they always have something new. Plus if you ever go to race it runs better then a savage on the track.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
dave30250

Ok thanks you but i dont plan to race, anyone here has both truck that help me ?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM
snoking16

savage is a basher...thats what they do, they are tough and you can bash em. the revo is a basher as well but with a few mods you can take it out on the track. thats why i got a revo. so far i have just been bashing but i know im giong to be getting into racing here pretty soon. getting stuff set up for spring. i have also done the RB 523 conversion. i wanted the extra acceleration as well as top end. its a great engine. i thought about getting a savage as well after getting my revo to where i wanted it but i decided i wasnt going to. after reading some of the problems that the savages have been going through i figured i would just get a thunder tiger st-1. which is a truggy. ill probably set my revo up for bashing and just race the truggy. i wont be getting the thunder tiger till this summer. maybe something will change my mind by then...haha it happens alot.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
enigmamdw

if you want a basher there is also the t-maxx, it's excellent for bashing. plus all the hop up for it are bashing based/engineered. easier and cheaper to fix. You can get it with a 3.3 or there is the twin electric motor version (e-maxx).
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
North Star

The Savage isn't too fast, but it is beastly and can take a "savage" bashing!

The Revo is great all around. Fast, tough, and unique. There is no other RC that I know of that is anywhere near similar in set up.

The T-Maxx is just like the Savage, but faster. Probably not as tough, but more than tough enough.

Then there's my truck, the S-Maxx, which stands for Stadium Maxx. This truck is basically a 2.5 T-Maxx 2WD. Shorter length chassis, slightly shorter wheelbase, and slightly smaller track.

I love TRAXXAS! I'd go with any Traxxas truck.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Danker16

I would have to vote on the Revo, i have seen 3 savages so far running at the BMX track and it seemed like a pain to deal with, was high torque but the thing kept flipping it didn't land right and they all sounded weird on the gears, on the other side i was happy riding my revo wiht some nice suspension popping wheeling, donuts, and high jumps. The revo seems easier to work with compared to a savage, but parts tend to be a little more expensive if you manage to brake them. my thoughts!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
crazzyrevo

I race a revo great truck the only one that comes close is the LST2.
Savage are a waste of metal and plastic the diff's are weak .Note they are just made cheap.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
REVO X
My Feedback: (10)

This was also posted HERE
Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, some of you guys are pretty biased and thats just sad.. They are just trucks, try not act like children and say this one is better wah wah wah.... They all excell in their specialty which is bashing for the Savage and racing for Revo... Note North Star, that the S-maxx is the exact same thing as a T-maxx except for the 4WD and Reverse. The length and track is identical.... Enigmamdw, the T-maxx is the crappiest basher out of all of the popular MT's out today I own a T-maxx and Savage I would know.. Crazzyrevo, before you say that, try actually owning a Savage and you will know that the diffs are strong as hell and the truck is a machine, being biased helps no one And if you were talking about the new standard shimmed diffs on the Savage, then you are a noob and shouldnt even be giving advice on the subject...[&:][sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM
North Star

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Wow, some of you guys are pretty biased and thats just sad.. They are just trucks, try not act like children and say this one is better wah wah wah.... They all excell in their specialty which is bashing for the Savage and racing for Revo... Note North Star, that the S-maxx is the exact same thing as a T-maxx except for the 4WD and Reverse. The length and track is identical.... Enigmamdw, the T-maxx is the crappiest basher out of all of the popular MT's out today I own a T-maxx and Savage I would know.. Crazzyrevo, before you say that, try actually owning a Savage and you will know that the diffs are strong as hell and the truck is a machine, being biased helps no one And if you were talking about the new standard shimmed diffs on the Savage, then you are a noob and shouldnt even be giving advice on the subject...[&:][sm=thumbs_down.gif]
No, they are not the same size. I know this by experience. I got a T-Maxx body and it's too damn long. Looking at the details it's for a 3.3 T-maxx. The 2.5 is either smaller or uses the dimensions of the original .15pro T-maxx.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
fox23

ide say.. savage if you only bashing, revo if you plan on bashing and occasional trips to the track.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM
madmax22

Savage for bashing revo for racing or if you want in between the t-maxx is an OK choice or the monster GT they are super durable duuno how fast but they got balls!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

True.

I have owned 2 Savage SSs, 2 Revos and a T-Maxx and I love the Savage and Revo. The Savage and Revo take a beating, where as the T-Maxx, ehh not so much. The Revo def takes the Savage on the track but my God you can take down people with a Savage at 35mph haha. I'd say go with whichever one looks more appealing, they're both awesome trucks.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
JSRacer

The LST2 is the "Right" Monster Truck Dave. If you're gonna spend $500 on a Revo, throw out another $50 and just get the LST2. You will NOT be disappointed. I've had them both and the LST2 is a much better truck than the Revo. My opinion of course.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
MiamizFinest

i own the savage, revo, and LST2......and many other cars......i honestly belive compareing them all the LST2 is the best choice.......

it can take a beating like a savage and with the right adjustments handle on the track with the revo and in some cases truggies ive raced my LST2 against truggies and it has never bein a one sided race.........i see it haveing the best of both worlds
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 PM
JSRacer

MiamizFinest, you have one nice LST2! I wanna see it again! LOL I miss it!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
89ram

my experience has been with warheads and revos. the first edition warheads were a bit problematic, i'll leave it at that. but i love my revos! i put a big block in my revo because it was a left-over from a warhead. 3.3 to a 5.3! who could resist! i do currently use a .28 instead of the .32 because i think it has a bit more top end. all that said, if i ever got another [different brand] monster, i'm pretty sure i'd give an lst2 a try after all i've heard/read about them. t-maxxes seem to have weak bulkheads, savages seem to be difficult to work on. just my 2 cents. hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
jp173363

Ok, I've ready everyones fights, and I'll give my personal opintion. First of all, what is your budget? That is going to be a big factor if you have limited cash. I have several rides, T-maxx 3.3, Revo with RB conversion, Savage, LST2, and a Monster GT. If money isn't a factor, I would personally recomend the LST2. Great truck, fast, handles very well both on and off the track. If you are on a bit more of a budget, I would go with the less expensive Monster GT. It's a solid truck, granted it won't keep up with a Savage too well, and it stays in the dust of an LST, but they take a beating, I have the first version of the Monster GT with the .21, I can jump it crash it, bash it, what ever, and still haven't broken a part on it, where as with my T-maxx, I can expect a trip to the hobby shop just about every time I drive it. If you are looking to race, Revo is the way to go. It's much lighter than an LST2 and there are tons of tuning options for on and off of the track. The Tmaxx breaks and all is a good truck after it's upgraded to some RPM a arms, and a few other simple mods, but they all cost money to do, keep that in mind when you can get something strong off the shelf like the Monster GT. As for the savage, it's not a bad truck. It's probably my least favorite truck. I'm not sure why, I just don't think it's as fun to drive. It's built pretty well, much better than other HPI models I've had which could be a reason I'm not as fond of it since I've had bad luck with HPI in the past. All that being said, my top picks would be a an LST, or Monster GT. If your on more of a budget, Go with a T-maxx or Revo, but keep in mind, traxxas=upgrades. Good Luck with which ever one you pick.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
beer=food
Banned

l would say revo, period.
lve owned savages for years, power and punch ,control and handling all go to the revo.
The biggest difference is the PRICE.
The revo is dearer, ever wondered why ?
My revo out performs the savage in every area except bottom end mud crawling,other than that, revo, every area, especially jumps, you mentioned a bmx track, thats what we do, savage has no control out of jumps like the revo, the revo was born with wings l recon, they just ripped em off !
Revo is faster as a stock truck.
Savage has a bigger motor.
Revo 3.3, savage 4.6.
Revo is faster overall, and revo does ownage wheelies with very little effort, short of a good tune.
Savage does easy wheelies too, but its geared lower and has a bigger engine.You do the maths on that rubbish.....
My veiw is there both pretty much of a muchness for servicing and cleaning, no major plusses or negatives for either.
Savage probably has a slightly tougher drive line set up, though l havent busted either trucks drive line to say for sure, sper gears are all the sameish, revo has a fiddly gear box, tough enough though, revo has an 'own my arse' easy starter system, [ yea l love it 15 years of pull starts does that ! ] savage is easier to silicone seal for mud and water bashing, l broke my lower front arms of my savage in a crash, lve hit the same damn post in the revo, slightly slower and it didnt bust, yea l was lucky, the savage probably has a stronger chassis, but, that makes the overall truck stiffer, in big bmx track jumps, where flex is absolutely needed in the chassis, the revo pwns, the difference lve found is plastic parts bust on my savage on high/heavy impact landings, where as the revo, and its suspension tends to have enough movement and chassis flex to roll on and on, absorbers it all n at !
Its a matter of opinion whats really better for what, all you can do is be the judge yourself, get one of each, you wont be dissapointed, LOL, hahaha, wanna buy mine ? LOL not !
l have to much fun with em both, and me crappy zircon, the zircon is bigger than the savage and the revo, yet both the revo and savage, outright own it, zircon has a big block !

l like the revo better as a basher, pure control is awsome with it, l like the savage for MUD, its less risk of electrical stuff up, ie $, mud bashing is pretty fiddly but, major cleaning after major lubing etc, stick to the dry, and get a revo.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
rcnitrohead

North, I'm guessing you have the early SportMaxx series, not the Stadium Maxx because the second is identical in size to the 2.5/3.3 Maxx series.. IMO my Savage is much easier to work on than my T-maxx, unscrew 8 bolts and the truck in 3 pieces.. My T-maxx needs at least 28+ screws in order to separate the bulkheads from the chassis in order to have the truck in 3 pieces like the Savage.. I would definitely try the LST2, since it is a Super truck but I dont see myself getting one to be honest. I like the hobby but I need to concentrate on getting a steady job on the weekends but its been a pain... Being 16 in a city with 8 million people is tough in the job market lol[&:]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 PM
dave30250

So you guys think i should go with the revo ?! you guys are talking about basher and hop up parts. but the real question is : STOCK VS STOCK : REVO 3.3 VS SAVAGE X 4.6 RTR WITCH ONE IS STRONGER, ACCELERATE QUICKER, TOP SPEED IS LESS IMPORTANT I WANT TORQUE LIKE A 5.0. PLEASE BE CLEAR , don t compare other engine , i want to know stock truck witch one gives the BEST performance PERIOD
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM
REVO X
My Feedback: (10)

^^^stock vs stock SAVAGE 4.6 IS THE ANSWER for everything you just asked and be happy with it!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
madmax22

Did you every give truggys a chance? i think a truggy will be my next RC!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.