Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Is there really a big difference????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM
bennymetal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there really a big difference????

Ok gang I have been researching RC Nitro trucks for a few days now and I must say, Wow! things have really changed since Cox was the only game in town.

It seems to me that Traxxas is the leader of the name brands with 4 or 5 other lesser known brands behind. Redcat appears to be the leader of the "no name" / upcoming brands. True/False/Thoughts?

I have read several posts where people refer to all the lesser known / no name brands as Cheap Chinese knock offs, yet all the known brands are imported from China as well. So, aside from parts availability what makes one truck better then another? Are we just talking about the quality of the build, better engines, parts etc.... what???

My gut feel tells me that Traxxas has a higher profit margin and is making a killing on their Chinese imports and you are just paying for a name. Am I supposed to believe that the 12 year old in Tiawan is building a better truck then some other kid in China???

Take the redcat Avalanche for example,,,what makes this an inferior truck to some of the popular brands?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
stadium truck freak

Default RE: Is there really a big difference????

well parts are hard to get hold off there are no hop ups for them and no coustomer care nothing and the engines are crap and radio is cheap and tacky. but if you go for a well known brand like traxxas you get a brillant product and a engine WITH a warrenty and extremly good build and good meterials used and the radio is great and loads and loads of hop ups for all the models .

well known brands are better- but they will cost more but worth it in the long run
ni known brands are rubbish - might be cheap but dont think your getting a bargin becuase your not
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
bennymetal

Thanks for the fast reply... so it sounds like SH engines are crap and the radios they use are also crap. I thought I read somewhere that some of the bigger names also use SH engines.... Not sure though.

What is a good radio to look for?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
stadium truck freak

somthing like futaba acoms specktrum hitec swanna airtronics kopro thats just some of the well known radio brands . sh engines i havnt herd about them being use in will knownbrands . i have never seen of herd of them for that matter
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
bennymetal

Thanks again for the info...Here is a link for the SH.

http://www.shengines.com/PRODUCT_off-road.htm

They have been around since 89 so the web site says.. it has to be true its on the internet.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
RCCanuck

I read a review in RC driver and they loved the truck....some of the parts are interchangeable with name brand stuff.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM
stadium truck freak

well tbh the engines look like they are of a really good qauilty. i might try one for my lightning buggy
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM
dewberryb

I did the same looking when I bought my first rc that was not mugen or serpent. What I found out is this. Check your LHS! See what they carry parts for. I see a handfull of redcats run at the local track. Most show up run their redcat for a few minutes and break something and leave. I see parts break on redcats that don't break on name brand RCs. HPI makes crap too! Traxxas is allright not the greatest though! If you want something highend that comes with all the hop-ups and ready to race look into the below namebrands.

Losi

Assosiated

Mugen is awsome!

Jammin

XRAY

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
stadium truck freak

ORIGINAL: dewberryb

I did the same looking when I bought my first rc that was not mugen or serpent. What I found out is this. Check your LHS! See what they carry parts for. I see a handfull of redcats run at the local track. Most show up run their redcat for a few minutes and break something and leave. I see parts break on redcats that don't break on name brand RCs. HPI makes crap too! Traxxas is allright not the greatest though! If you want something highend that comes with all the hop-ups and ready to race look into the below namebrands.

Losi

Assosiated

Mugen is awsome!

Jammin

XRAY

yeah im with him on that thouse makes above are the expensive ones and the really good ones (for racing) all the pros use em
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
snoking16

the biggest thing you want to do is see what truck your LHS carries most parts for. its a pain when you cant get imediate truck support from your LHS. most carry traxxas and traxxas is a great brand. i love my revo and the 3.3 is a great starter engine. if you take care of them and do a good break in they last a long time. they usually carry the main brands with the most customer support and parts support.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
infernalstone

You're not just paying for a brand name when comparing a vehicle and a knockoff.

You're paying for better materials, support, and quality control at the plant.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
vge

One thing you get with Traxxas is incredible customer support. You wont find that in any knock off rc. Personally I would say stay away from them. Why? You can get name brand RC's out there extremely cheap and are very reliable. So why pay for some off brand mess that you gotta read a million forums just to find out what name brand part will replace your knock off part. It's just not worth the head ache chief. It's bad enough when your local hobby shop doesn't carry the part and you gotta hop online to get a part. Can you imagine if not only does your LHS not sell your parts but 99% of online stores don't either? You may as well toss your money in the trash and buy something name brand again.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
ttoks

so it sounds like SH engines are crap and the radios they use are also crap. I thought I read somewhere that some of the bigger names also use SH engines.... Not sure though.
i'd just like to point something out here, SH (or golden lion) make some of the best quality, and most powerful engines out there, they are a Chinese made engine, but the quality i superb, they have a reasonable price tag on them, and there is great parts support, but as far as i know SH doesnt even make radio gear, they're heavily into electric motors and electric speed controls however.

there are many engine makers that are owned by golden lion, SH, LRP, nosram ect there about 6 different names that all get engines from the same supplier, and they are all great engines.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
vge

ORIGINAL: ttoks

so it sounds like SH engines are crap and the radios they use are also crap. I thought I read somewhere that some of the bigger names also use SH engines.... Not sure though.
i'd just like to point something out here, SH (or golden lion) make some of the best quality, and most powerful engines out there, they are a Chinese made engine, but the quality i superb, they have a reasonable price tag on them, and there is great parts support, but as far as i know SH doesnt even make radio gear, they're heavily into electric motors and electric speed controls however.

there are many engine makers that are owned by golden lion, SH, LRP, nosram ect there about 6 different names that all get engines from the same supplier, and they are all great engines.

Well the engines can be the best in the world. But when time comes to make a repair or you have a question and then you are all alone. Then you will wish you did not have those engines or anything from that company.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
bennymetal

Thanks for the candid replies...

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but I think you all have saved me some headaches down the road. I also read the RC driver review of the Avalance and was hoping to see at least 1 person come to its defense...not. Oh well, I guess I need to pony up some more cash and go with a more reputable product.

Just a side note on the service end....I checked out redcat online support a while ago because I wanted to speak to them about their product. I was immediately put on hold and left to die. This kind of sealed the deal for me.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM
vge

If you dont have the cash to buy new. Cheif check the RCU buy and trade forums. You will get some very good deals off there.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
madmax22

Ususaly amainhobbies has good deals for instance: This is a truggy but bare with me ok Towerhobbies.com:thunder tiger ST-1 $710, Amainhobbies.com:thunder tiget ST-1 $289. Stay away from unknown brands Buy From the big ones Ex: Associated, Traxxas, HPI, Mugin, Losi and some more (they are in no specific order) Good luck man!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
futureboy1969

Hi, I have 3 traxxas trucks ,1/8 hot bodies buggy,hpi drifter ,ofna 1/8 buggy,and 2 redcat 1/10 scale trucks. I like them in that order.
The redcat r fun bashers. I had good luck with there online ordering and support. The engines die pretty quick. one died in a years time the other 6 mouths ( no compression left). They do have a half price engine exchange program. Hope this helps you.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 AM
ttoks

actually VGE, owning an LRP engine i can say there customer support is rather good, i recently needed to replace the OWB in my z.28 spec 3, so i called there customer support, surprise surprise the tech spoke and understood English perfectly, after explaining the problem, i was then sent a new OWB in the mail which arrived in 6 working days, not bad for international postage, golden lion and it's sub devisions are very reputable engine manufacturers, and in the U.S almost every LHS you'll find stocks LRP and or nosram parts.

another very good manufacturer is thunder tiger, they to have very good parts support around the world (some of there vehicles being sold as team associated in the U.S (the MGT is a good example, it is a re badged thunder tiger MTA4))

a few good reliable, well know brands

HPI (U.S)
thunder tiger (China)
O.S (japan, excellent surface, plane and heli engines)
RB Concepts (france again great engine maker, popular in all surface vehicles)
Novarossi (Italy another great engine maker, popular in buggies among others)
Team Losi (U.S)
Golden Lion (China, great value for money, powerful engines)
CEN (to an extent(U.s))
Traxxas (U.S)
X ray (Slovakia, absolutely superb cars, truggies and buggies)
Mugen sieki (japan, top truggy and buggy competitor, and make a top of the line engine range, the ninja's)
OFNA ( Italian engines, U.S company, good engines (the picco line) and competitive off road line)
STS (china bit of a bad reputation for unreliable engines, but man they fly if they work right)

there are more, but thats give you an idea, but because a car's not made in the U.S (or is made in another county, E.G china) doesn't make it a bad product.

redcat has an awfully bad reputation, but recently came under new management, since then there have actually been quite a few good reviews coming from redcat products, particularly the monsoon.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
vge

ORIGINAL: ttoks

actually VGE, owning an LRP engine i can say there customer support is rather good, i recently needed to replace the OWB in my z.28 spec 3, so i called there customer support, surprise surprise the tech spoke and understood English perfectly, after explaining the problem, i was then sent a new OWB in the mail which arrived in 6 working days, not bad for international postage, golden lion and it's sub devisions are very reputable engine manufacturers, and in the U.S almost every LHS you'll find stocks LRP and or nosram parts.

another very good manufacturer is thunder tiger, they to have very good parts support around the world (some of there vehicles being sold as team associated in the U.S (the MGT is a good example, it is a re badged thunder tiger MTA4))

a few good reliable, well know brands

HPI (U.S)
thunder tiger (China)
O.S (japan, excellent surface, plane and heli engines)
RB Concepts (france again great engine maker, popular in all surface vehicles)
Novarossi (Italy another great engine maker, popular in buggies among others)
Team Losi (U.S)
Golden Lion (China, great value for money, powerful engines)
CEN (to an extent(U.s))
Traxxas (U.S)
X ray (Slovakia, absolutely superb cars, truggies and buggies)
Mugen sieki (japan, top truggy and buggy competitor, and make a top of the line engine range, the ninja's)
OFNA ( Italian engines, U.S company, good engines (the picco line) and competitive off road line)
STS (china bit of a bad reputation for unreliable engines, but man they fly if they work right)

there are more, but thats give you an idea, but because a car's not made in the U.S (or is made in another county, E.G china) doesn't make it a bad product.

redcat has an awfully bad reputation, but recently came under new management, since then there have actually been quite a few good reviews coming from redcat products, particularly the monsoon.

Well I don't think I would consider LRP to be a knock off or bad brand. They have been around for ages. Also it really has nothing to do with where the parts or cars are made either. it's all about the knock off companies that make stuff and don't support them. Everything on your list except a couple I would have no prob recomending.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
twomanytoys

Stadium Truck Freak

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about!!! If you dont know about the product then dont answer because your points are invalid.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 PM
twomanytoys

Benny

If you are worried about redcat but still want a 1/8 scale truck look at the thunder tiger st1. You cant beat this truck anywhere for the price. Its built like a tank and better than any traxxas product and right now you can get them for less than 300 on A Main hobbies.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I didn't read any of hte replies, so i'm just replying to the OP.

Most of the big manufacturers do so in Taiwan or Japan. China is for cheap CRAP. SH makes excellent engines, it's just that newbies mess them up REALLY easily.

Stick with the big dogs..parts availability and support are easier to come by, and the chinese cars are really NOT a big savings. $350 for a Redcat monster truck, or $430 for a Savage? it's only an $80 difference...

Why buy a Cavalier when you can get a Corvette for a few dollars more?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:37 AM
twomanytoys

You guys just dont understand. Redcat parts are easy to get. yes you have to order them online or from places like clermont motorsports and allabout fun hobbies. I can get parts within 3 days and they are not hard to get. There hjas been lots of times that I have needed parts for my name brands and to find out that my hobby shop was either out or did not carry that part. I have had to wait for 2 weeks for parts before. If there is an off brand that someone wanted to buy Redcat would be the one. The Avalanche is built just as good as any other name brand. Yes all rtr trucks have cheap electronics and redcat is no different but they work and work well. I can bet that 95% of you guys here that talk down on redcat has never even seen one. I think that if you dont have experience with them then you should not post.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

Yeah, I'll take a Redcat Volcano EPX Pro over a Traxxas Stampede anyday...My Stampede is only 3 weeks old and the motor is shot...My Volcano is 2 months old and still going strong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.