Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

What to buy? New Emaxx or Pede VXL

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Always Dreamin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to buy? New Emaxx or Pede VXL

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx

i understand that you own a vxl and a emaxx but whenever i get a new rc whatever vehicles i had go on the shelf but after say 6 months you may get tires of it.. if you want a good basher mt imo should have 4wd.. but the 8 shocks arent needed but i would take a brushless emax over a vxl anyday....wheelies are cool but it gets old..i would go with a revo as well but i think that conversion might be out of his league being new to the hobby..im a nitro guy so id just buy a used revo,tmaxx or savage..
I accually for a time ran them both at the same time. I didn't get the vxl because I was tired of the e-maxx. Once I got the VXL I really had no use for the e-maxx. Thats when it got up on the shelf and has stayed there since.
The stampede is a great basher. It can jump, it's durable, it's fast and powerful.. I understand that 4wd is a big bonus to many people, but not me. If you live in the mountains or somewhere with crazy hills, sure the e-maxx is nice to have. But when your bashing at the desert with a bunch of open dirt, who needs 4wd. Bashing in A.Z. with dirt jumps is as good as bashing gets for me, and you really don't need 4wd for that.
I think I said earlier (or maby I said revo), but I would take a novak e-maxx over a VXL. I cannot find any e-maxx rollers that would give me enough money to put a novak system in that will still be less then the stock maxx. If you can find one, it's a great deal and I advise you get it.
I'm just pointing out, that I am 100% satisfied with my VXL. It is a strong durable and most inportantly fun truck.

Always Dreamin
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

they should come like that from traxxas, much better looking!
Yeah, personally I think swami lowered it a tad much (don't told him I said that). I think it would look much better if the bottom of the body was level with the chassis[8D]
Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 PM
calvino

I personall like 4wd for bashing, you can build up speed faster, turn faster, you get stuck less, IMHO, get a 4wd, ever consider the e-savage, it is an AWESOME basher[8D]
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
DriftingDragon

emaxx all the way
Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Bombers_410

the vxl pede isn't THAT fast.. If you want to use a lot of lipo's and overgear it then ok, but its still going to be a 2wd truck compared to a 4wd monster. And then we have better choices for the monster trucks. the e-savage sport costs about a hundred less than the e-maxx, but it CAN go around the same speed as the vxl pede does at a normal configuration. Its also cheaper than the pede too.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Bombers_410

the vxl pede isn't THAT fast.. If you want to use a lot of lipo's and overgear it then ok, but its still going to be a 2wd truck compared to a 4wd monster. And then we have better choices for the monster trucks. the e-savage sport costs about a hundred less than the e-maxx, but it CAN go around the same speed as the vxl pede does at a normal configuration. Its also cheaper than the pede too.
The stampede will easily hit 50mph. It might not be a record, but it's plenty fast for most people (including me). By the way, the stampede might be 2wd but it's still a monster. If you don't think it's a monster you should let traxxas know because they advertise it as "The World’s Most
Extreme Monster Truck!" The e-savage is not brushless. Thats why the stampede xl-5 is only [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNJJ0**&P=ML]$179.99[/link]. If it was stampede xl-5 vs e-maxx/e-savage, the choise would be obvious. But since the stampede comes with brushless for the same price as the e-maxx my vote goes for the stampede VXL.

Always Dreamin
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
revo3.3traxxas

Pede..one it's already brushless and imo that would be the first thing i do to any electric truck i own a vxl pede and it's a great truck i've driven my freinds e-maxx and it's just not as fun..the smaller 2wd pede will give you your need for speed with lipo and a gear change plus..makeing a fast brushless e-maxx = $$$$
Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: revo3.3traxxas

Pede..one it's already brushless and imo that would be the first thing i do to any electric truck i own a vxl pede and it's a great truck i've driven my freinds e-maxx and it's just not as fun..the smaller 2wd pede will give you your need for speed with lipo and a gear change plus..makeing a fast brushless e-maxx = $$$$
After making my xl-5 stampede a VXL, I don't think I will ever go back to brushed. It just runs so strong.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Bombers_410

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

The stampede will easily hit 50mph.
Always Dreamin
Define easily... 11.1v lipo? Overgeared with the STOCK gearing? The e-savage will go 35-40 mph with dual 6 or 7 cell packs (edit: and yes, with the stock brushed motors), and thats all the pede will do with the vxl as its brushless setup, geared reasonably, and anywhere between a 6 and 9 cell battery pack. The vxl isn't the best brushless system, its not even close...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

The stampede will easily hit 50mph.
Always Dreamin
Define easily... 11.1v lipo? Overgeared with the STOCK gearing? The e-savage will go 35-40 mph with dual 6 or 7 cell packs (edit: and yes, with the stock brushed motors), and thats all the pede will do with the vxl as its brushless setup, geared reasonably, and anywhere between a 6 and 9 cell battery pack. The vxl isn't the best brushless system, its not even close...
Yes, easily would be a 3s lipo... It wouldn't be that overgeared. Thats what BL motors are made for. Traxxas claims 65+ and I know thats possible way overgeared. Im saying you could hit 50 with reasonable gearing. I heard the savage went the same speed as the e-maxx, if thats true, it's max speed should be 35mph on 7c. It might not be the best BL system but it's brushless. It's better then brushed and it runs great IMO. Maby you have ran one an haven't had the best of luck, but I love mine.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Bombers_410

Wow maybe these motors are better than i thought. I know they are sensored so they cannot run the same voltage but it appears you can just gear it however you like with no problems. I run my pede with a mamba max and a 19t pinion and it gets too hot to touch it with about 8-9volts through it. Traxxas is having people use 30-35teeth pinion gears to get it to go so fast. Do these motors even risk overheating? Or could you just gear it way higher than anything else without having problems. I just havent looked into how these motors can handle that kind of treatment... maybe they are tough like the rest of traxxas's electronic motors...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
sloppyG

they're not sensored....
Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Always Dreamin

Wow maybe these motors are better than i thought. I know they are sensored so they cannot run the same voltage but it appears you can just gear it however you like with no problems. I run my pede with a mamba max and a 19t pinion and it gets too hot to touch it with about 8-9volts through it. Traxxas is having people use 30-35teeth pinion gears to get it to go so fast. Do these motors even risk overheating? Or could you just gear it way higher than anything else without having problems. I just havent looked into how these motors can handle that kind of treatment... maybe they are tough like the rest of traxxas's electronic motors...
They are not sensored, but the cogging is hardly noticable. They can run up to 9 cells, or 3s lipo packs safely. However, some people i'm sure run more. Geared 19/86 after two 6c packs i'm about 120 degrees. Sometimes less, and thats by the beach.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 PM
DaveThePainter

Get the new Emaxx,[>:].
Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Bombers_410

Yeah the mamba gets way over 160 degrees geared at 19/86 I do run it wide open most of the time though
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Always Dreamin

Yeah the mamba gets way over 160 degrees geared at 19/86 I do run it wide open most of the time though
I don't own a mamba, but I think that 19/86 might be overgeared.. Not sure though.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: mr.losiguy

Get the new Emaxx,[>:].
I used to be a maxx guy, especially when the new one came out. I would take the E-savage over it now. It's much better priced for a very durable truck.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Mspeed

I too am considering purchasing either the new emaxx, vxl stampede or the vxl rustler. I currently own nitro trucks, a savage x, revo 3.3, and two jato 3.3's. I still love my nitro trucks, I just got very interested in the whole lipo/brushless thing that traxxas has just recently put on the market in a ready to run form. Until more recently, nitro was the cheaper way to get more top end speed; however, with the introduction of brushless rtr's, I am looking into purchasing a more hassle free, fast electric truck. My experience with nitro trucks has lead me to sway toward purchasing the vxl rustler or the vxl stampede. First off I am a speed freak, the faster it goes the more fun it is for me. I learned the revo and especially the savage nitros are limited in potential top speed due to their sheer weight disadvantage. No matter how big the motor, gearing and how much I tried to lighten up the big monster trucks, or reduce rolling resistence, they would have trouble getting passed the 50 mile per hour mark. With my lighter jato's and only being 2wd which reduces a considerable amount of drive train resistence, my potential is much higher with just smaller mod's with even the same motor. Secondly, although the revo and savage are tough trucks, the added weight of the monsters lead to more potential damage at higher speed wreaks. When I put a bigger motor in my savage and geared it up, it flew, but started having a lot of issues I never had to deal with at lower speeds. For example, jumps starting getting twice as high and crashes starting breaking bodys on landings and busting engine mounts. The revo still tended to bust up things if I had some hard landings, but the extra strength the savage x had did not seem to be needed as much for the revo. My revo was a faster truck right out of the box with its lighter weight and more powerful motor. I'd say my jato's are the most fun for me, they are by far the fastest, highest jumping out of all my trucks. The jato is also by far the weakest truck I own; however, they do not seem to need the strength of the monster trucks. I can land hard on top of the motor from a high jump with my jato's and just keep on driving with hardly any damage to the body. With the monster trucks I hold my breath if a high jump goes wrong and lands on the top of the motor; after the harsh sounding smash of 9 pounds I have to hope I just get away with a smash in the body. Lastly, the simplicity of 2wd makes working on my jato much easier for me with less hassle. I had trouble with traction with 2wd at first, but after trying a few different tires out, I learned its not really an issue for me. With 2wd its all about the tires, choose them wisely. I have some extra wide tires on the back of one of my jato's that just lifts the front off the ground even in wet grass and dirt. I still like my monster trucks, I just love the over all speed, handleing, and simplicity of my jato's. The monster trucks are fun in the technical hilly areas, but get very borring quickly if you are in a large dirt field and have something like a very fast jato to run. I have been reading a lot of threads about the vxl's and the old emaxxs and it seems the same theory is true about the electric trucks in terms of speed potential, weight, simplicity and durablity.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Always Dreamin

Whew I read through that whole thing[8D]! That is very true when I compare my stampede VXL to my e-maxx. If you like your jato, the closest thing to it would be the VXL rustler. I like the stampede because it's simple like the rustler, but has the ground clearence of a MT. I am having some trouble tuning it right now. For 2wd you want tires with a lot of grip, but then you flip all the time in the street. You want stiff shocks so you don't bottom out, but you don't want handling to suffer..[:'(]
Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Mspeed

The reasons I am considering the vxl rustler over the vxl stampede, is the rustler seems to handle the power of 3s lipo/brushless better than the stampede. I would love to be able to put all that power to the ground with less flipping, wheelies, and less roll overs. However, I know I will miss out on the added ground clearance, drive anywere of the stampede? I think the e-maxx would just have some serious economical trouble even hiting 55 mph let alone handle that power without busting up the truck if it lands hard from a high jump?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

The reasons I am considering the vxl rustler over the vxl stampede, is the rustler seems to handle the power of 3s lipo/brushless better than the stampede. I would love to be able to put all that power to the ground with less flipping, wheelies, and less roll overs. However, I know I will miss out on the added ground clearance, drive anywere of the stampede? I think the e-maxx would just have some serious economical trouble even hiting 55 mph let alone handle that power without busting up the truck if it lands hard from a high jump?
The rustler will handle 3s better. The stampede is a great truck for bashing, but is no speed demon. The stampede to me performs best at about 30-35mph. Sure 65 is fun, but it's not very fun in my neighborhood, there is no where to drive[:'(].

Just so you don't get your hopes up, the vxl rustler is a little slower then the jato geared reasonably. The rustler can hit 70+, but thats overgeared with 3s lipo.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Always Dreamin

Hey might want to check out this thread, and anyone else that reads this should too. For those of you that will accually go through the whole thing, theres a lot of good information.
http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=381846
Rock on Stampede!!!