Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New Member w/ Questions - Rustler VXL

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 PM
BMueller777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member w/ Questions - Rustler VXL

Okay so I've been reading up on the Traxxas Rustler VXL and I think it kicks ass.

I still don't understand how it works, i.e. batteries (which kind), run time, chargers needed?

If anyone who owns/owned a VXL Rustler and wants to be nice by explaining to this newbie how it all works I'd greatly appericate it.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
RCCanuck

Default RE: New Member w/ Questions - Rustler VXL

it comes with batteries and a charger I believe.....the batteries run the electric motor via the ESC(Electronic Speed COntrol) a servo controls the steering...its a 2 wheel drive 1/10th scale electric stadium truck....the motor is brushless which means longer run times less maintenance on the motor and of course fatster speeds.....you can upgrade the batteries to Lipos to get even more speed and runtimes....
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
BMueller777

Thanks for the responce. How long of a runtime do you think I can get from out of the box? And how fast does it go out of the box? How long do you have to charge it for?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
sloppyG

it doesn't come with batteries or a charger
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
71+mph

This is the best deal on a Rustler!!! I came accross this on ebay - it has EVERYTHING YOU WILL NEED

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=008
Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
BMueller777

Yeah I saw that on e-bay. Not a big fan of used stuff. I'm looking for a new one and I'll probably get it at a LHS or from hobbytron or something.

So if I get it new I won't have batteries.... So which one should I get? I don't want to have it going 70+MPH.... yet...

So should I get the 7 cell? Or should I go with the Lipo? What's the difference? The volts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
tmanbu

I would say that if you just want to romp around with it for now, just get a 7cell battery for it. If you don't already know, you have to spend around $200 or more for a good lipo to get the VXL to go 70mph. Still cheaper than a new gas motor to get those kind of speeds.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: BMueller777

Yeah I saw that on e-bay. Not a big fan of used stuff. I'm looking for a new one and I'll probably get it at a LHS or from hobbytron or something.

So if I get it new I won't have batteries.... So which one should I get? I don't want to have it going 70+MPH.... yet...

So should I get the 7 cell? Or should I go with the Lipo? What's the difference? The volts?

Thanks in advance.
FYI the rustler should go in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_147/tt.htm]here.[/link]
Don't be worried about going 70+. That is not really a realistic speed. Well, it's possible, but it's not something thats for everyday use. You can use up to a 9 cell pack on the vxl esc/motor. Lipo is a diffrent cell in itself. They produce a lot of power for a little weight. However, for the average joe, they can be a little dangerous. If your fairly new, you should stay NiMh. You should expect about 37 with a 6c pack, 42 with 7c, 46 with 8c, and about 50 with 9c. Those are just arround what you should get. The rest depends on the quality of the pack and your gearing. Lipos will give you anywhere from 45-70mph. They are also much more expensive. It's just what your buget and your knowlage will allow.

Always Dreamin
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
BMueller777

Awesome, thanks for the info.

What do you guys think is better? Electic or Nitro?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
megamaxx

ooooooo!thats gonna start a nice debate!!!![sm=punching.gif]me personally like the nitro setups,more of a challenge.there is a certain amount of skill needed to run nitro.its not for everyone,on the other hand just about anybody can charge a battery!!!!lmao
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
sloppyG

more challenging and slower...

like a 911 turbo with a manual trans when compared to the automatic
Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Always Dreamin

I prefer Electric. All the way! Ofcourse, you must rember, most of the people in this fourm run Nitro. Try going to the electric fourm and see what you get
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
snoking16

^^^^hehe....i agree. learning everything about a nitro truck is way harder then learning how to program your esc.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

more challenging and slower...

like a 911 turbo with a manual trans when compared to the automatic
till your battery starts to fade,but with the brushless setups combined with lipo's the electrics have proven to be very,very fast,less mess and maintainance,less noise.there are allot of advantages to the electrics.me, personally got burned out on them in the 80's,tried a hot bodies e-zilla about 3 years ago,damn fast,just not my thing..as long as your happy with what your runnin,thats all that matters
Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: snoking16

^^^^hehe....i agree. learning everything about a nitro truck is way harder then learning how to program your esc.
My friend form school ownes a T-maxx that I take to the track with me. It seems like he spends most of the time working on it while i'm driving. The noise and the power is very nice to see, but the truth is, i'm just as happy zipping arround the track with Brushless. Electric cars are as simple as plug in and go.
till your battery starts to fade ,but with the brushless setups combined with lipo's the electrics have proven to be very,very fast ,less mess and maintainance,less noise.there are allot of advantages to the electrics.me, personally got burned out on them in the 80's,tried a hot bodies e-zilla about 3 years ago,damn fast,just not my thing..as long as your happy with what your runnin,thats all that matters
I will admit that nitro has a few advantages. One being the constant just fill and go you can get from using a nitro. The other is that you can only get the revo in nitro. If I had the money, I would have a bl revo in a heartbeat. But thats another story
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Always Dreamin

Personally, I think nitro is something everyone should experience. Atleast once. When I first saw my friends T-maxx I thought it was pretty sweet. The noise and smell gives off some inpression[8D]. But as time went on and I relized how much work he had to do on it, it changed my mind. That and when I beat him on the track