Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

.26 maxx engine reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 AM
megamaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .26 maxx engine reliability?

^wow,
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 AM
carbajal

I bought a picco .26 on ebay for $110.00 bucks the guy said he could not keep a tune on it,he said he had a half a gallon in it.son when I got it ,I put her in my revo,and he was right it would'nt hold a tune.All I did was block the carb and the exhaust port,blew threw the fuel line threw the carb,and what do you know!it was leaking threw the front bearing.So I bought the BOCA bearing for $14.89,installed it, and guess what........I have 7 gallons in it and still running strong!!So the moral of the story is that you need to have patience with it,TRY to FIX it,WORK with it,and in the long run she will treat you good!!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 AM
megamaxx

agreed^^^the.26maxx is an awesome mill once the bugs are worked out,luckily i have never had an issue wiyh mine
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco will smoke the RB engines from bottom to top............ But only if the Picco has proper pipe and header......no rear pipe setup is going to work properly for the Picco...the Picco really needs a side pipe like a 053 or 086 with a short header............. the rear pipe setups kill the picco's top end power, and likely affect its tuning....................

you guys complaining about the Picco 26 Maxx, what tuned pipe are you trying to run ??? as that can amke all the difference in the world on how a motor runs...Picco's are pipe picky motors and won't open up if they don't have the correct piping
Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
supertib

for anyone having tuning issues with their Picco.....

it is very common for alot of composite carbs to leak between the meal and aluminum peices used to construct the carb...alot of times you need to seal the seam betwen the metal end cap and the composite carb body.....Also note that this is a area that doesn't always leak when doing a pressure test. as this area usually only leaks when the metals in the carb get heat soaked and expand....

anyways heres the 2 places that need to be sealed

Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 PM
crazykat

you shouldn't need to FIX something that you buy new or TRY to make it work. Just shows lack of quality in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
HILLFINGER

ORIGINAL: crazykat

you shouldn't need to FIX something that you buy new or TRY to make it work. Just shows lack of quality in my opinion.

Trying to make it work is part of this Hobby, you mentioned your carb busted on your Picco but you never mentioned how it busted. If you was having so much with your Picco you should have contacted Ofna.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
crazykat

your right I should have contacted ofna. and yes I did try to make it work. sealed it. i took it apart so many times trying to get it to work because, and your right it is part of this hobby, i enjoyed trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I still have it and it is in pieces. im trying to decide if i should get a carb for it. good thing is that the bearings didn't leak. the thing is, is that i wanted to run my maxx at some point this past summer so i put back my 18 cv-rx and I haven't touched my picco. i am going to keep working at it a little bit at a time. weather is nice here so i would rather run then fix.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 PM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: supertib

....... the rear pipe setups kill the picco's top end power, and likely affect its tuning....................

have run the rear pipe on mine from day 1,as long as you do not run a fuel filter or excessively long fuel lines it performs excellently,i dont touch my needles unless there is a drastic change in outdoor temp,and then its just a tad,i have the.26maxx and 523,both in maxxs,the .26 does beat it out of the hole and thru mid range,and stays right up with the 523 on the top end,i think the main reason people like the 523,me included,is how smooth it is thru the power band,i love both of these engines for different reasons!!!!!the .26 for its brute force,the 523 for its smoothness,both have thier places on my rack
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: megamaxx

ORIGINAL: supertib

....... the rear pipe setups kill the picco's top end power, and likely affect its tuning....................

have run the rear pipe on mine from day 1,as long as you do not run a fuel filter or excessively long fuel lines it performs excellently,i dont touch my needles unless there is a drastic change in outdoor temp,and then its just a tad,i have the.26maxx and 523,both in maxxs,the .26 does beat it out of the hole and thru mid range,and stays right up with the 523 on the top end,i think the main reason people like the 523,me included,is how smooth it is thru the power band,i love both of these engines for different reasons!!!!!the .26 for its brute force,the 523 for its smoothness,both have thier places on my rack

If you liked the Picco with a rear pipe setup, then you should really check it out with a proper side pipe ... a 086 pipe and short conical header would make a gigantic improvement in torque, HP and RPM over any rear pipe setup..... Adam from AB mods has dyno tested both rear and side pipe configurations.... there is no contest side pipe is better...
Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
supertib

Here is a dyno comparison between a trinity rear pipe and a standard 053 tuned pipe and header ,086 with short conical header would do even better..as Picco's seem to respond very well tot he short headers.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
supertib

heres a dyno of a RB 323 for comparison

Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM
supertib

just to show what effects header length have on powerband and RPM range... heres a dyno of a Picco P7R EVO with a TTR 2035.... Adam ran the TTR pipe with the standard header, then swaped out to the short conical header... the difference is huge as you can see.. Moralof the story is to really uncork the Picco 26 Maxx you need a 086 and short conical manifold, or even a TTR 2035 with a short conical manifold

the Green line is the standard header, and the red line is the Novarossi short conical header....and the Yellow line is a 086 on the Nova short conical manifold

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM
megamaxx

^^^^hmmmmm!even more power hiding in my picco!!!!!!might have to check that out,ran a fantom side pipe setup once,hated it thats why the rear pipe is still there,wherecan i find said exhaust set up?links would be appreciated,thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Revo1971

supertib

I have been searching high and low for a good pipe for my picco .26 and nobody seems to have a good answer. With all the information you have you seem to know more than all of the people i have talked to. Can you give the exact brand of pipe or a web site where i can order it. How is the pricing for this set up? (pipe and header). I would REALLY appreciate any info on this. I am in the process on sealing up my Picco and modding the steering linkage so I can have maximun turning radious. Once again Thanks for the info.
Roger
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 AM
MIKEA46996

Allright even with all the negative post I have read I am buying a Picco 26Maxx this wekend. I am going to seal everything now before I have problems, I also wanna replace the front bearing with a top quality unit. I get pissed kinda easy sometimes I don't wanna shelf this hobby again so I don't want issues. I will be running an Integy rear pipe setup on my Tmaxx, I know i need a good pipe and header but dont wanna drop the coin right now. Is this a good engine or should I just bite the bullet and spend the greenbacks on the RB? Please help. Love this hobby, I have been flying planes for the last couple years so I remember how to tune but what is this heat cycle procedure everyone keeps talking about? Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM
HILLFINGER

ORIGINAL: MIKEA46996

Allright even with all the negative post I have read I am buying a Picco 26Maxx this wekend. I am going to seal everything now before I have problems, I also wanna replace the front bearing with a top quality unit. I get pissed kinda easy sometimes I don't wanna shelf this hobby again so I don't want issues. I will be running an Integy rear pipe setup on my Tmaxx, I know i need a good pipe and header but dont wanna drop the coin right now. Is this a good engine or should I just bite the bullet and spend the greenbacks on the RB? Please help. Love this hobby, I have been flying planes for the last couple years so I remember how to tune but what is this heat cycle procedure everyone keeps talking about? Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

You can use the Traxxas procedure or you can use the one that is on the paprt that comes with the engine.

Ofna Break-In below.

As with any new engine, there are many high spots and tight fits in the matching process. High spots create hot
spots that must be broke-in. Therefore, the break-in process is very important to provide good service by the OFNA
engine. So, you must run the engine rich (COOL) for the first three tanks of fuel. We recommend using one gallon
of 20% BLUE THUNDER 0R BYRON'S 2000 as break-in fuel. Other break-in type fuels or added oil is NOT
needed. DO NOT OVER REV THE ENGINE WHEN FIRST STARTING, this could break the piston and over heat
sleeve. Let engine run at low RPM for one tank to break-in connecting rod bearing before starting full break-in.

Break-in the engine in the car, by running the engine at a rich setting. Run the car from a slow to fast speed with
short bursts of speed. You need to buildup a little heat in the engine, but not too hot. In a rich setting, the engine
will run cold. In the leaner setting the engine run hot, this is not good yet. Do not heat up the engine too much at
this time. After about one (1) tank, turn the Master Needle Valve, clock wise, 1/8 of a turn leaner or clockwise.
Keeping the fuel tank full, continue the process until you slowly turn the Master Needle Valve, 1/8 of turn each time,
too a leaner point and in which the engine runs at high RPM and power, but still keep max temp. of 250 deg. F. At
this point you must stop, too lean of a setting will heat up engine and damage the piston. A normal operating
temperature is around 220 to 270 Deg. Temperatures of 300 Deg. and above will damage engine and shorten life.

Traxxas Break-In below

Tank 1

1. Drive the model with the body off.
2. Driving procedure: Gently pull the throttle trigger to 1/4 throttle over
a 2-second count. Then gently apply the brake to stop. Count the two
seconds out while accelerating: one thousand one, one thousand two,
and then stop. Operate the throttle trigger as smoothly as you can.
Repeat this starting and stopping procedure until the first tank of
fuel is nearly empty.
3. Look for thick blue smoke exiting the exhaust outlet. If there is
no smoke, richen the high-speed needle 1/4 turn, by turning the needle
counterclockwise.
4. When the fuel tank is nearly empty, shut off the engine by pinching the
fuel line connected to the carburetor (use the installed clamp).
5. Let the engine cool for 15 minutes.
Note: If at any point the engine cuts out or stalls during gentle
acceleration, richen the high-speed needle 1/4 turn by turning the needle
counterclockwise.

Tank 2

1. From tank 2 forward, Revo should be driven with the body on.
2. Driving procedure: Gently pull the throttle trigger to 1/2 throttle over
a 2-second count. Then gently apply the brake to stop. Count the two
seconds out while accelerating: one thousand one, one thousand two,
and then stop. Repeat this starting and stopping procedure until the
second tank of fuel is nearly empty.
3. When the fuel tank is nearly empty, shut off the engine and let it cool
for 15 minutes.

Tank 3

1. Driving procedure: Gently pull the throttle trigger to 1/2 throttle over
a 3-second count. Then gently apply the brake to stop. Count the
three seconds out while accelerating: one thousand one, one thousand
two, one thousand three, and then stop. Repeat this starting and
stopping procedure until the third tank of fuel is nearly empty.
2. As the engine loosens, the idle speed may increase and cause
the model to try to creep forward when stopped. Reduce the
idle speed by turning the idle adjustment (see page 19) on the
carburetor counterclockwise.
3. When the fuel tank is nearly empty, shut off the engine and refuel.
From here on, you do not need to let the engine cool between tanks.

Tank 4

1. Driving procedure: Gently pull the throttle trigger to full throttle over
a 3-second count. Then gently apply the brake to stop. Count the
three seconds out while accelerating: one thousand one, one thousand
two, one thousand three, and then stop. Repeat this starting and
stopping procedure until the fourth tank of fuel is nearly empty.
2. Apply the throttle gradually! Your finger should not reach full throttle
until the end of the three-second count. Revo may try to shift into
second gear. If it does, reduce the throttle input. Do not let Revo shift
out of first gear.
3. Keep your driving smooth and consistent.
4. When the fuel tank is nearly empty, shut off the engine and refuel.

Tank 5

1. Driving procedure: Gently pull the throttle trigger to full throttle over
a 3-second count, hold for 2 more seconds, and then gently apply
the brake to stop. Count the five seconds out while accelerating.
Repeat this starting and stopping procedure until the fifth tank of
fuel is nearly empty.
2. The model should now be shifting into second gear. If it is not, try
turning the high-speed needle clockwise 1/8 turn to lean the fuel
mixture slightly and test for shifting.
3. When the fuel tank is nearly empty, shut off the engine and refuel.

Tank 6

STOP! Clean your air filter before you proceed. During the sixth tank of fuel, the engine can be tuned
for general performance use

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
beakersafreak

I'd like that pipe and header info as well. I'm running the stock tuned pipe and thought it was ok but I'd spend the money to get a better set up if I knew exactly what to get. I have a picco powered max with spools and metal gears throughout and pro-line paddle tires. The only problem I have is twisting the centers out of my rims in the rear. LOVE the picco!!