Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

RB TM523 Or OS 21Tm

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Th3pwn3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB TM523 Or OS 21Tm

RB TM523 Or OS 21Tm which would you guys choose and why? I'm leaning towards the OS because it's less weight but I want your guys' opinions. I know that I somewhat asked this before but what do you guys think? Hopefully I get to order it tomorrow Or do you guys know other options?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Th3pwn3r

Default RE: RB TM523 Or OS 21Tm

Or 18TZ? I kind of asked this already but I need more advice because I'm about to make a purchase.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 AM
ttoks

big big differences between these two engines, and in all cases it's in the RB favor, the O.S might be lighter, but it has a few major shortcomings, it's based on the O.S .18 TM, not a bad thing right? well it means it is a typical mid block (big block displacement but fits in small block engine mounts), which means it has a smallblock exhaust port, which serverly limits the gas flow at high RPM.

now the RB has a lot of things going for it, it is not a mid block in the true sense, it will not fit in a big block engine mount, and has larger displacement then a small block (anything up to .20 is small block) like all midblocks, but it won't fit in small block engine mounts either, RB sells the engine mount for this engine with the engine and an exhaust system in a kit, it DOES however have a big block exhaust port (the RB, and sirio .23 are the ONLY mid block to have a big block sized exhaust port), which is critical for high RPM performance, it is also a .23, larger then the O.S, it is a 9 port engine, which further aids in the high RPM, on top of that RB makes some of the highest quality engines there are, performance wise the RB is more torquey then the O.S from it's larger displacement, and better top end power from having the goods in the ports configuration and exhaust port.

now consider this, the RB also comes with an exhaust system tuned specifically for the engine (which you will have to buy separately for the O.S), and and engine mount to mount it in the revo/tmax (theres a kit for each truck), and that they are both the same price ($260), which one is the better deal?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 AM
snoking16

^^^ i couldnt have put it any better then that...ttoks, you have a way with words my freind.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Th3pwn3r

RB TM523 it is! You drive a hard bargain ttoks You can sell snow to Eskimos ^_^
Old 12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Redrawker

ORIGINAL: ttoks

big big differences between these two engines, and in all cases it's in the RB favor, the O.S might be lighter, but it has a few major shortcomings, it's based on the O.S .18 TM, not a bad thing right? well it means it is a typical mid block (big block displacement but fits in small block engine mounts), which means it has a smallblock exhaust port, which serverly limits the gas flow at high RPM.

now the RB has a lot of things going for it, it is not a mid block in the true sense, it will not fit in a big block engine mount, and has larger displacement then a small block (anything up to .20 is small block) like all midblocks, but it won't fit in small block engine mounts either, RB sells the engine mount for this engine with the engine and an exhaust system in a kit, it DOES however have a big block exhaust port (the RB, and sirio .23 are the ONLY mid block to have a big block sized exhaust port), which is critical for high RPM performance, it is also a .23, larger then the O.S, it is a 9 port engine, which further aids in the high RPM, on top of that RB makes some of the highest quality engines there are, performance wise the RB is more torquey then the O.S from it's larger displacement, and better top end power from having the goods in the ports configuration and exhaust port.

now consider this, the RB also comes with an exhaust system tuned specifically for the engine (which you will have to buy separately for the O.S), and and engine mount to mount it in the revo/tmax (theres a kit for each truck), and that they are both the same price ($260), which one is the better deal?

You forgot something, the RB is Orange!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: Redrawker
You forgot something, the RB is Orange!
My favorite part.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:58 PM
snoking16

^^^^ i know!!! the bronze/orange cooling head looks sooo bad a** sticking out of the back of the truck...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:34 PM
infernalstone

It doesn't match most of my paint schemes. :P
Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
HighClassBasher

Yeah, i dont like the color of the RB cooling head either[:'(] doesnt match anything[]... GREAT engine but i would have to re-annodize the head a different color
Old 12-25-2007, 08:45 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco 26 Maxx >>>RB 523>>>>OS 21

***** I like the use of a bigger motor in a MT********** personal preference is all.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Th3pwn3r

ORIGINAL: supertib

***** I like the use of a bigger motor in a MT********** personal preference is all.
I've read about the Picco 26 Maxx and I heard it's nothing but problems and to stay away from it. Why do you recommend that engine? Also, how exactly is it better than the RB?
Old 12-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Thunderbird93

RB all the way. But RB=wheelie bar. I have a cousin to the RB...the Sirio .23....by far the best motor I've had, as long as it's taken care of. I've had mine 3 years and it still runs like a dream.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Th3pwn3r

Lol, sorry but I'd look like a retard having a wheelie bar on my Race Revo at the track lol. I'll tune it if it starts to wheelie.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Thunderbird93

LOL....I didn't know u were running st the track. My bad...LOL. Good choice for a motor tho.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:35 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Th3pwn3r

I've read about the Picco 26 Maxx and I heard it's nothing but problems and to stay away from it. Why do you recommend that engine? Also, how exactly is it better than the RB?

the Piccois a prety good engine...being that its a Picco and a .26 means its extremely powerful..... it will definitely be more powerful then the RB..the RB will likely feel revvier, but the Picco will be more potent....... either are good...
Old 12-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Th3pwn3r

the Piccois a prety good engine...being that its a Picco and a .26 means its extremely powerful..... it will definitely be more powerful then the RB..the RB will likely feel revvier, but the Picco will be more potent....... either are good...
Lol just because it's a .26 doesn't mean anything. The Axial .28 that I see is weak even though it's a big engine. I'd run the picco but I just hear about all the problems but I'm going to look more into it I guess. I'm still pretty set on the RB TM523.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:42 PM
snoking16

the RB 523 will out run a picco .26 max...yeah the picco has more low end torque and would probably beat it off the line but in the higher end the RB would be faster...if you gear the RB down and and get a Center diff to keep the wheels down it would be a better engine out on the track.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Th3pwn3r

I already have the center diff installed on the truck and I'll gear down which is a good idea because my track is a tight one. What do you guys recommend for gearing? I'm running a 38T spur and a 16t clutch bell.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
NitroVenom

With a RB or picco that will be good for the gearing. I run my truck on a tight track and its good to have low gearing but with a motor that big wheelies will be insane. I think you should stick with the 16/38 right now. Its gonna be all throttle control when you get that motor in and low gearing wont make it any easier.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM
snoking16

hopefully the center diff will cut the wheelies way down so when you come out of the turn to a long strait you can punch it without flipping it on its lid.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 AM
crazzyrevo

I have used a number of engines in the Revo 18tm/tz 21tm Rb323 Rb523 i think the rb is the way to go just keep in mind obout the rb323 is not made anymore but rb tell's me that there will be part's for years to come
I use the 323 on short track's and the 523 on larger track's these are great engines.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: snoking16

the RB 523 will out run a picco .26 max...yeah the picco has more low end torque and would probably beat it off the line but in the higher end the RB would be faster...if you gear the RB down and and get a Center diff to keep the wheels down it would be a better engine out on the track.

depends on what tuned pipe is on the Picco bro..........give the Picco a proper side pipe like a 053 or 086 on a short header then say goodnight to the RB...........An engines RPM range is very dependant on header and tuned pipe.... the Picco is down alot of power with a rear pipe as compared to a proper side pipe FYI...as well Picco's need a short manifold to make full top end,..... So give the Picco its proper pipe like the RB has and there will be no contest..the Picco will pull the RB from bottom to top.......without the proper pipe setup the Picco may be outrun by the RB on top, and I guarantee none of you guys has run a Picco 26 Maxx with a 086 on a short conical manifold..... anyways Picco 26 Maxx, 086 pipe, Nova short conical manifold.... say goodbye to the little Sirio
Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Th3pwn3r

depends on what tuned pipe is on the Picco bro..........give the Picco a proper side pipe like a 053 or 086 on a short header then say goodnight to the RB...........An engines RPM range is very dependant on header and tuned pipe.... the Picco is down alot of power with a rear pipe as compared to a proper side pipe FYI...as well Picco's need a short manifold to make full top end,..... So give the Picco its proper pipe like the RB has and there will be no contest..the Picco will pull the RB from bottom to top.......without the proper pipe setup the Picco may be outrun by the RB on top, and I guarantee none of you guys has run a Picco 26 Maxx with a 086 on a short conical manifold..... anyways Picco 26 Maxx, 086 pipe, Nova short conical manifold.... say goodbye to the little Sirio
Do you really think that monster of a motor is good for a race setup? I'm not trying to be picky I just want the best setup for my race revo and I haven't been able to test any of these engines so I have no idea what's better or not.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
supertib

Do you really think that monster of a motor is good for a race setup? I'm not trying to be picky I just want the best setup for my race revo and I haven't been able to test any of these engines so I have no idea what's better or not.

no definitely not, i didnt realise this was a race setup...my buddy just pulled his RB 523 because it was too potent for the track...he is now back to running a 3.3........ the OS motors will be easier to handle on the track IMO.the Picco and RB are too much motor for racing in the Revo chassis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.