Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas Fuel???

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Soppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Fuel???

I was just going through some of the other posts and I saw that a lot of people say that the Traxxas top fuel is crap? Is this true and if so what other kind of gas should I use. On top of that I have run a half a gallon of top fuel through my T-maxx and was wondering if it would be bad for me to switch fuel or change the percent of nitro that was in the gas. Thanks for all of your help
Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Beasley1

Default RE: Traxxas Fuel???

Its not that it is crap it just has more oil in it than other brands. I like Odonel's myself.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
DaveG55

Yep, Top Fuel has a lot of oil.
I too like O'Donnell's
Changing brands or nitro percentages won't hurt anything at all. You will probably have to retune whenever you change fuels/brands/etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
spikeitaudi

As others have stated Top Fuels just had more oil in it then most other fuels not bad by any means. I used 20% Top Fuels for 2 gallons and this caused my OWB to slip as again it has more oils in it then other. I have switched to Trinity Platinum and have had no issues after another 2 gallons.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
nitrorc89

top fuel is good for break in....but after that i wouldnt run top fuel
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM
jp173363

I've been told by people in different hobby shops that Top fuel is just blue thunder fuel in a different bottle. It's not bad fuel, but since it comes in a metal container, it is more likely to develop condinsation inside of the bottle which is bad for the fuel. Just like everyone else, O'donnel makes great fuel, I use it when the LHS has it in stock. I've tried sidewinder but it tends to run really hot. If O'donnel is out, I've also come to like byron fuel a lot.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:52 AM
revo-nation

byrons odonnel trinity and sidewinder all at the highest nitro will be best for your engine when tuned right
top fuel has more oil thats a fact
if you broke in at 30% and downgrade to 10% you might be in trouble only upgrade nitro never downgrade
any upgrading nitro like from 10-20% will never hurt as long as you tune after.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
hawk 2

Actually a metal container is better than a plastic one. It keeps the UV rays out if you have it outside. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
TR762

It's all I've used and I don't really plan to change anytime soon. It runs good and keeps things well oiled.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: revo-nation

byrons odonnel trinity and sidewinder all at the highest nitro will be best for your engine when tuned right
top fuel has more oil thats a fact
if you broke in at 30% and downgrade to 10% you might be in trouble only upgrade nitro never downgrade
any upgrading nitro like from 10-20% will never hurt as long as you tune after.
That part is not true. It does not matter if you go up or down in nitro percentage or how often you change. You just need to retune at each fuel change. Of course, a really big change in percentage (either way) may necesatate a change in head shims or GP temp.
The same goes to switching fuel brands. You can do that as often as you like but retuning will be required.
The only real problem I had with the Traxxas fuel was a constant need to clean the owb's because they kept slipping. After I switched to O'Donnell's 98% of my owb problems went away.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Hairballusmaximus

I have found that to a point the 12-14% oil fuels are easier to tune. I talked to abunch of guys from all the local tracks and it because the oil doesnt produce power, in other words the lower the oil content the higher the percentage of burnable fuel you have and therefor broader needle settings and ease of tuning, and usually lower operating temps. The 30%nitro fuels also tend to run cooler because you produce more power with less work, almost like lightening your truck by 3 or so lbs.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 AM
pisces1

what happens if you use break in fuel after your engine has been already tuned/broken in?? i used some by mistake???(trinity break in blend 20%)
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 AM
pisces1

what happens if you use break in fuel after your engine has been already tuned/broken in?? i used some by mistake???(trinity break in blend 20%)
Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use break in fuel after the engine is broken in, it will not harm anything. The only thing that will happen is the performance will not be as good as "performance fuel". Using break in fuel will help your engine last longer. If you use performance fuel, your engine will perform the best it can but at the cost of shorter engine life.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
jd31

i am trying to start a 3.3 w a pull start to put on my s-maxx, should i use trx 10% or use what ive been using for my picco eliminator 14 or 16% i cant remember the percntage , i tried using the eliminator but it was not starting. I am just talking about initial break in and thats it, im planning on going to eliminator after break in, what do you guys think??
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM
cenracer1

This is an ongoing debate forever regarding Traxxas fuel... If you have a Traxxas engine, using Traxxas fuel makes the engine easier to tune and keeps the temps down due to the oil and the design of the engine.. You can really run anything you want and make it work, but for the less experienced engine tuners, traxxas top fuel is easier to work with.. On the other hand, Traxxas top fuel doesn't work as well in other engines.. at least with OS engines,Orion, Cen, HPI and XTM engines.. I have an OS 18TM in my maxx and it runs poorly on Top Fuel... Too much oil.. chokes the engine up... I run Trinity Monster HP 20% in the OS and it runs great.. actually the OS runs great on just about any fuel I've put in there.

As for the metal can.. It was supposed to protect against UV rays at the track... I don't have a habbit of keeping my fuel out in the sun anyway.. I'll keep it under the pit table.. as for condensation.. never had a problem with that.. I keep gallons of fuel in my basement and it gets cool and damp down there, but the fuel is fine.. Anyway... Traxxas went to gallon jugs recently like everyone else.. cheaper to produce to keep the costs down...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM
scoobs92

when i bought my 2.5 maxx last year i used topfuel to break it in and now its hard to tune it and get it running i use blue thunder and it fires right up and its fairly easy to tune with bt ill never use topfuel again it gummed up the owb in my old nitro pede also
Old 09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
cenracer1

ORIGINAL: scoobs92

when i bought my 2.5 maxx last year i used topfuel to break it in and now its hard to tune it and get it running i use blue thunder and it fires right up and its fairly easy to tune with bt ill never use topfuel again it gummed up the owb in my old nitro pede also

One way bearings don't last forever... If its getting all gummed up, you may have a seal going bad on the output shaft.. they shouldn't get all gummed up... both my Traxxas motors stay pretty dry.. just the light machine oil that I put on them... The OS engine due to the design of the backplate will never leak..LOL

If you can't get the 2.5 to run correctly on top fuel but works on Blue Thunder.. You have some tuning issues... you are probably running to rich to begin with and the lesser oil in the Blue Thunder compensates for that... JMO
Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
scoobs92

yea i don't run it much ive got about a gallon in it its still a pretty new engine im still working the bugs out