Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

T-Maxx 3.3 break-in

Hi,
    I just got a brand new T-maxx for Christmas, and I can't wait to get it up and running. When I got the truck I needed a few extra supplies to get it going, so I went to the hobby store where it was purchased and I asked the store owner if he had any suggestions for me. At this point he mentioned that I should make sure I break the truck in by lettting it idle through it's first tank of fuel and follow Traxxas directions after that. In the Traxxas directions it clearly states not to let the truck sit and idle during break-in. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on this given their own experience.

Despite some of the terrible things I have read on this site about the newer T-Maxx, I am really excited to break this truck in right and see what it can do. Before the T-Maxx I was running an old Duratrax Maximum ST Pro that I bought new and beat the living crap out of. The old truck took the beatings, with some significant repairs, but the T-Maxx l just got looks like a pretty nice machine that should hold up where my old truck didn't. I am interested in any information anyone would like to offer about the high points and low points of the latest T-Maxx.

Thanks in advance, -Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: T-Maxx 3.3 break-in

i have a tmaxx 2.5 and i broke the engine in per traxxas instructions and that engine was great to me. ive since replaced it with a more powerful engine and did the traxxas break in and it to is running great. i have a lst2 with a mach 427 and i broke it in following traxxas break in and it runs great also. every engine i get i will use traxxas way b/c it works for me. some people had problems with there trx 2.5 and 3.3 engine but i dont know if its b/c they used a differnt break in method. i didnt have a problem with my truck. i found the a-arms to be the weakest part but rpm make a-arms that have a lifetime warrenty on them and they are really tough. other than that its a great truck. here are some pics of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75710.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	845841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95420.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	845842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn32606.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	845844  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LST2,T-Maxx,Sprint2,NT18MT,Chaos,E10,Micro-T
    Xboxlive:HazyRenots420

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recommend you follow the Traxxas break in procedure. Idling through the first tank, with no airflow over the head can cause the temp to get too high. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but Traxxas knows their engines best.
    Step One: RTFM
    Picco .26 T-Maxx, LST, RC18b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with following Traxxas break-in, also if you have probs with the engine like a manufacturing defect and you tell them you did break-in diff from the Traxxas way they probably will blame it on your diff break-in method. But if you do follow it and have a prob they are really helpful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

deffinatly follow Traxxas specs on break-in. The warranty issue that someone raised is a really good point. And Traxxas engines are notorious for overheating anyways....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my trx 2.5 didnt give me any trouble over heating. it would run fine in the summer and here in pa summer is like 90-95 with 80-100% humidity.
    LST2,T-Maxx,Sprint2,NT18MT,Chaos,E10,Micro-T
    Xboxlive:HazyRenots420

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you all very much for all of your suggestions. Everything you all said was very helpful, and made perfect sense. I certainly don't want to cause myself any warranty complications, and Traxxas should know their engines better than anyone, so I will be following the instructions to the letter. Thanks also for the comments regarding the function and durability of my new machine. I was pretty hard on my last truck once I got used to it, and I really wanted the T-Maxx because I had heard so many great things about it. It appears to be a pretty sturdy unit, but I guess I will have to test that theory. Thanks again for all the help, you guys are great. I will let you all know how things go.

-Dave