Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Noob?won't start,not getting fuel,left nitro in tank

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Noob?won't start,not getting fuel,left nitro in tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
jim100597

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob?won't start,not getting fuel,left nitro in tank

I am new to nitro rc.i bought used tmaxx 2.5 for son 1 month ago.started truck then,seemed ok.left fuel in tank,month later wont start .i can get it to turn over if i pour fuel into carb.fuel does not seem to be going thru line as i try to start.i took off line and fuel came out of tank fine.i blew thru line and it seems clear.i am stumped.son wants to try new toy.any suggestions will be appreciated.Where is red fuel clip many people have said to check?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 PM
pred192

Default RE: Noob?won't start,not getting fuel,left nitro in tank

make sure the red fuel line clip is open, a working/new glow plug is in the engine and maybe your needles could be closed check to see if there set right and turn your truck/transmitter on, as your starting your engine keep pulling on the throttle and hold your finger over the exhaust you should hear the engine build up with fuel (holding your finger over the exhuast would build up pressure in the fuel tank and make the fuel flow through the lines) if none of the above work try and check to see if the carb is blocked, take out the high speed needle and the low speed needle and shoot a bit of WD-40 through it. the standard set of needles are High speed needle= 4 turns out from closed, low speed= flush with the rim and idle should have a 1mm gap
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
snoking16

if there has been fuel sitting in the tank for a month then the fuel is no good. you need to flush all the bad fuel out by taking the glow plug out and flipping it upside down and turn the motor over for a few seconds. fuel sitting that long will absorb water from the air and also start to gell up. that might be your problem. i would take your exhaust pipe off along with the tank and lines and soak it all in hot soapy water then blow everything out just to make sure everything is clean. the presure nipple on the exhaust could be clogged if your not getting the fuel to the carb. now once everything is clean and dry, put it back together fill it up and try starting it again. also make sure the needles are at factory settings. i hope this works and good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Soothsayerman

Yeah I would tear the engine and carb down, clean everything with de natured alcohol, lube it up with marvel mystery oil, get some brand spanking new fuel, new glow plugs, new fuel line and start over.

Here's a link to the traxxas web site on after run care for the motor. They also have a great knowledge base there on all kinds of stuff you may want to check out.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=275
Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
jarett 92

sounds like an air leak to me. your priming it right?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
jp173363

I think pred192 put it best. I have a lot of experiance, I have several trucks and cars. I have the hardest time getting my Tmaxx to start sometimes. After waiting 15 min for the battery to charge, replacing glow plug and such, I always forget to open the dang fuel clip back up. Another problem you could have which I had with an old Monster GT, it had set for several months and would start for about second then shut off. I called a friend for any ideas. He said that there is a possiblity that fuel gelled up in the carb. To fix this I had to hold the throttle wide open and blow air through the fuel line that goes strait to the carb. I used a small air compressor, but you can just blow with your mouth, but get you some clean fuel line first. After a few seconds, I put everything back to gether, and presto, it fired right up and didn't skip a beat.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
pred192

LoL right behind you jp173363 i would try to start my truck and it wouldnt turn over, try priming the engine and then battery would go dead then realise that the clip wasnt open, used to piss me off
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
jim100597

Ok,thanks for the input so far.I have another question-Where is the red fuel clip?I cant see one on this truck.I blew thru the fuel line which went from tank to carb & didnt see any clip.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM
snoking16

if u cant see it u dont have one...its a red pinch clip connected to the fuel line going from ur tank to ur carb. it is used to turn the motor off. it pinches the line and the motor dies beacuse it doesnt have fuel. so since you dont have one that isnt ur problem. probably the best idea is start with the easiest thing that could be wrong then work from their. have u cleaned the tank, lines and carb yet? that will probably fix it right there.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
jim100597

How do u remove glow plug? I do not have special wrench.But i have loads of tools around.Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Soothsayerman

14 mm long socket will do the trick. There should be a copper washer on the end of the glow plug.

Ooops 8mm I knew that...
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
snoking16

its 8mm not 14mm. 14 is way too big.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:52 AM
hpi mt 2 rulez

ORIGINAL: snoking16

if there has been fuel sitting in the tank for a month then the fuel is no good. you need to flush all the bad fuel out by taking the glow plug out and flipping it upside down and turn the motor over for a few seconds. fuel sitting that long will absorb water from the air and also start to gell up. that might be your problem. i would take your exhaust pipe off along with the tank and lines and soak it all in hot soapy water then blow everything out just to make sure everything is clean. the presure nipple on the exhaust could be clogged if your not getting the fuel to the carb. now once everything is clean and dry, put it back together fill it up and try starting it again. also make sure the needles are at factory settings. i hope this works and good luck.
lol I think you made a mistake. haha you said the pressure nipple LOL!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Budda1224

my savage xl aint getting fuel to the carb either the coupler for the header and pipe is ripped and has a slit in it but has bin like that for months and i ran it the other day and it worked fine you think it is that or no i its nothing with the tank or fuel lines cause i checked that by blowing and fuel comes out what you peeps think it is
Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Budda1224
my savage xl aint getting fuel to the carb either the coupler for the header and pipe is ripped and has a slit in it but has bin like that for months and i ran it the other day and it worked fine you think it is that or no i its nothing with the tank or fuel lines cause i checked that by blowing and fuel comes out what you peeps think it is
You should never run a nitro engine with an exuast leak like that.The engine rely's on the pressure to send
the fuel to the carb.
I burned up a brand new 8.0 engine when my muffler came off.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Maxximize

Also, check to see that the fuel cap has the o ring on the inside of it to seal against the tank opening. If this is not there or is leaking the tank won't pressurize and fuel won't flow. A good way to test for tank air leaks is to take off one line, pinch the other shut and blow into it. No air should escape. Also, does the tank have the little primer plunger on top of it? if so, that could be leaking too. If that leaks, just pull it out and plug it with a screw and small o ring.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Budda1224

Thanks for the responses but i already got it fixed it was what i though it was the exhaust leaking i got a old industrial hose from my dads work and used it, it has more pressure than when it was brand new know
Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Maxximize

Nice! enjoy your rig