Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help me brainstorm guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 AM
FISH KILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me brainstorm guys!!!

I have posted on this before but I really need some help on this one. It is the worst part to continually break. Shock shafts. In the rear I have broken 1/2 a dozen shock shafts in less than 3 gallons of nitro. I hate the word Shock shafts!!![:@][:@] They are snapping right at the end of the shock end. I have used nothing but plastic stock ends. Sometimes the ends break too. I am always checking for binding and there is NONE. Nothing is cracked anywhere or bent or loose. There is a little play in the push tube ends at the rocker but it is like that on 2 other revos I checked as well.

Is it my setup????
I am running 55wt fluid, silver springs and the push tube/rod is in the middle mounting location. I was running #3 pistons for the 2 shafts that broke today. I broke the ones before with #2 pistons, 55wt, and tan springs. I did break one with the stock setup aswell. Has anyone else broke them before? What setup are you guys running? I am bashing pretty hard but usually land most of my jumps pretty good. One thing I just thought of is I pretty much run full throttle constantly. When I bash it looks like I am always about to wreck into something or loose control but I'm not. The guys I drive with are always saying I am crazy. The two shafts I broke today I was launching a mellow jump at near top speed. I was getting about 6 foot of air and going about 25 feet long or so and landing perfect. Is a setup where you bottom out a little better than one where yopu don't for bashing like that??? I know I was still bottoming out a little I think. Kinda hard to tell you know?

Please guys help me out. These are a royal pain to rebuild and install all the time.

What are you guys's setups and what do you think is causing my ish to break so much???
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Soothsayerman

Default RE: Help me brainstorm guys!!!

Ya know, I broke one today too. Weird. The plastic end just snapped right off. I was scratching my head trying to figure it out. It happened when I hit a berm and did a couple of cartwheels with the truck. Nothing else broke.

I'm thinking that the compression rate/velocity was just too much for the shock OR it is bottoming out completely and breaking the rods.

If mine breaks again, I'm going to upgrade to the Traxxas GTR Shocks with Teflon tubes and Titanium rods and get some aluminum ends.

I run purple springs in the rear, #2's, silver springs in the front.

You might try the purple springs and put in 2 bump stops with aluminum ends first. The bump stops should take some of the pressure off the rods if theyre bottoming out hard.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM
HILLFINGER

Some may disagree but 55wt to me is a little thick and causing the shafts to break. I mainly bash and I run gold springs front & tan rear, #1 piston front & #2 rear with 45wt oil in all shocks. I also use aluminum shock rod ends. I am still running the original shocks that came on my Revo. My Revo does bottom out some but it helps absorb some of the impact when landing instead of putting it all on the suspension, this is where skid plates come in.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
FISH KILLA

Unless I get some more help here I am going to go with silver springs, 55wt, and number 2 pistons. I will buy the stock shafts again I guess.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
slayerphonics

the fluid weight is to thick

and you may try to adjust it so the chassi actually hits the ground on a jump.. putting all the stress into those tiny shocks they are bound to break.

I broke mine when

1. Shock fluid to thick
2. truck wasn't bottoming out (shock rods and ends where taking the whole impact)
Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM
FISH KILLA

Should I try the # 1 pistons then since I have the 55 wt fluid already. or will that be too bouncy with the silver springs?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
beer=food
Banned

Its to think, to much resistance, l have never busted one, one standard oil, you are trying to release to much energy at once into them, either bigger holes or thinner fluid.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
malibuboats4

try switching one of the front shocks with the one that keeps breaking, to see if its the shock body or not. just a thought....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nighthawk z450

i agree eiher put in lower shock oil, or buy titanuim lol
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still running the #3 or are you running the #2 now? If you are runnin the #2 now switch it to the #1. I am running 50 wt with no problems but I'm not to sure on which piston though.

I have heard of people running 60wt in their shocks with success, there is no reason you can't do the same. I've got some extra stock shafts if you need them.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
FISH KILLA

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

I've got some extra stock shafts if you need them.
Not cool to tease me like that now buddy! I know people in your neck of the woods. Camden New Jersy actually but they would make the trip for me. LOL

I was still running the 3's but will go back to the 2's when I get all the crap to rebuild em again. This don't make any sense to me. Why meeeeee!!!![:@]
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, there still breakin cuz your running the #3 pistons. Why didn't you change them out the first 5 times they broke?? lol.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 AM
FISH KILLA

Please listen carefully. I broke 2 running completely stock setup. I switched to 55wt, green springs, stock piston's front and 55wt, tan springs, stock piston's rear and broke two more. I then went 55wt, tan springs, stock pistons front and 55wt, silver springs, # 3 pistons rear and broke 2 more. On all of the previously mentioned setups my drive shafts were pretty much level to the ground and sag was good. Even if I went back stock I have already broke 2 that way. What should I do next???

1. Has anyone ever used any of these setups, front or rear?

2. What do you run now?

3. Take a guess at it.[:@]
Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 AM
KeepN It Cold

well the only common denominator there is the 55 wt oil, sounds like you need to light up on the oil wt
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
FISH KILLA

I am looking like an idiot here huh? I am going to try the #2 pistons with 55wt and the silver springs. If I break another I will try #1 pistons. If I still break one then I will go to 35 or 45wt and the #2 pistons. This sucks[:@][:@]
Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Soothsayerman

Let us know how it works out.

The Purple springs are too much! as I found out today. Broke another push rod end, but I don't think it was the springs fault. It was the 10 foot cliffs fault.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
FISH KILLA

Nice soothsayer. We have just rented a lake house on Travis for a week in July this summer. It will be too much fun. Me and my bro plan on doing some serious bashing on a couple days that week. Those hills are going to be fun as hell. Not like Houston where the hills are subtle right? LOL

I will let you guys know how the setups continue to break shafts err I mean how they work out. I need to think positive I guess.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Soothsayerman

Oohhh that sounds great man! Remind me when you're in town and I can meet up with you guys to bash! There is also a track out by the lake as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:25 PM
FISH KILLA

Fo shizzle my nyucka! It's on babeh.