Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo shocks suck

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
FISH KILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo shocks suck

You know me right? The guy that breaks shock shafts averytime he runs hi sRevo. Help me. Ask me questions about my setup. I will answer. Tell me your setup and I will run it. Please only help if you have experience with hard bashing.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Soothsayerman

Default RE: Revo shocks suck

Man that sucks![:'(]

You must be brutal on those things. Make a vid man!

What is your setup exactly?

I see GTR shock rods in your future.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28255.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	888062  
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
HighClassBasher

Are you running stock revo shocks OR GTR hard anno/ti-ni shaft revo shocks?
If you are still running the stock ones (which suk)... upgrade to the "hard anno/ti-ni shaft GTR shocks. Yes, they are the same shock but they are 100X smoother because of the hard annodizing and Ti-Ni plating.... therefore they will not bind and break like the stockers do....
Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Clymer122693

I ran the stockers for alongggggggg time and took my biggest jump with them (15ft) for big air I run and a few buddies of mine run lt springs with 45wt shock oil with the pushrods in the middle hole.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
jessemxt

I have only broke one shaft off pretty big jumps. I use 50wt oil and I use aluminum rod ends.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Fecal Freddy

I beat the everloving crap out of mine and the only damage it's seen is a bent pushrod, which I am still running.

I think the Revo's suspension works great if you've got it set up right. I run mine stock and it works magnificently.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 AM
FISH KILLA

I want everyone's info please!

I have play in my shock cap where the hollow ball goes and my push rod ends at the rocker arm hollow ball hole and when I snap a shaft the end on the shaft is really ovaled. Would this play lead to more broken shafts? Should I replace my rocker arm and shock cap too? Think I should go with aluminum too?

Please more of your setups.

Thanks, keep it going people.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 AM
FISH KILLA

I want to get these and the ti ni shafts.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_24_90/products_id/4083]mashed potatos[/link]
Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Clymer122693

your exhaust pipe is sitting to close to the shocks you need to raise it up some otherwise your gonna keep melting shocks ends. I use some coat hanger wire to make my own exhaust hanger and raise mine and no more melted shock ends. Alum shock ends would help also.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
FISH KILLA

i am not having melting issues. I am having shaft breakage issues.[&:] Come on clymer you know me better than that. I am sure to keep my pipe up off the suspension. I actually made a clothes hanger pipe hanger and it lasted only a few tanks then snapped. Traxxas said my setup sounds fine and that they have never gotten a call about the breaking shafts before. They are sending me ti ni shafts, new caps and retainers and stuff. I still want to go with the aluminum ends though. I may order soem today idk. I think I will go to 45 wt fluid too.

Do you think I should check my rocker post? Maybe it is bent or something and binding up the shocks movements.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Clymer122693

yeah check the rocker posts might of solved the problem yourself haha
Old 02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
slayerphonics

Yes replace the Cap, my revo wore caps and shock rod ends out like crazy, oh ya and I wore out the pushrod ends too, I found it also was a sign of running to thick of shock fluid, but I was doing 30ft+ jumps too, I only broke 1 shock rod, then I put thinner fluid in that seem to help, I think I have a youtube video, oh wait.. I'm always the one video taping so end up getting my friends instead of me lol
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
HighClassBasher

ORIGINAL: FISH KILLA

I want to get these and the ti ni shafts.
Make sure you get more than just the Ti-Ni shafts. The GTR hard annodized/teflon coated shock bodies have a lot to do with the extra smoothness of the suspension. A smooth, bind-free, clean suspension, is key to not breaking stuff.
Link: http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=226

Another item that really improves the smoothness of the Revo suspension, and imo helps combat breakage alot....(not nessesarily shock breakage), but breakage and wear of the suspension system in general)... is the hard annodized/teflon coated "hollow balls"). In my experiance they make a world of difference.
Link: http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=232

Btw,About the alum shock ends... If you are breaking shock shafts now with plastic rod ends, I wouldnt recommend going to aluminum shock rod ends...you'll only break more shafts...*(IMO)*

Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
FISH KILLA

The reason I trhink the al ends may help is because when I snap a shaft the end is ovaled very bad if not blown out all together. I think it is ovaling and maybe changing the geometry a bit and thus inducing more stress on the shaft because of the changed geometry. It may be a stretch but damn! How come I am the only one? I need to check that rocker post to see if it is bent.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run many times with a bent rocker post(just slightly, where I couldn't take the bearing for the rocker off) but the diffrence is I also run the Nitrate coated shafts. So there stronger. Sounds like you've got it covered though since traxxas is sending you new shafts and stuff. Did you bend all the ones I sent you?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
FISH KILLA

My rocker post is straight and true.
I checked for the shock retaineer touching the rocker and sure enough. When the a arm is at full droop the only thing keeping it from drooping more is the spring retainer resting against the rocker arm. I can imagine that over time of bad landings and rolling it that the stress would break the shaft. The retainer rests against the rocker arm there for all the leverage is trying to pull the shock end around the rocker arm. If it was to roll over and take a hit forcing the a arm to extend more it will shear the shaft right at the end. Maybe this is what is happening. How would I prevent this if it is the case?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
HILLFINGER

ORIGINAL: FISH KILLA

My rocker post is straight and true.
I checked for the shock retaineer touching the rocker and sure enough. When the a arm is at full droop the only thing keeping it from drooping more is the spring retainer resting against the rocker arm. I can imagine that over time of bad landings and rolling it that the stress would break the shaft. The retainer rests against the rocker arm there for all the leverage is trying to pull the shock end around the rocker arm. If it was to roll over and take a hit forcing the a arm to extend more it will shear the shaft right at the end. Maybe this is what is happening. How would I prevent this if it is the case?

I just checked mine the retainer doesn't come close, but I am also using Golden Horizons rocker arms.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I just lookd at mine and mine hits there too. But only a tiny bit. Like pecanpatch said, put some washers on the shaft under your #2 pistons so it will stop the down travel of the shafts so they don't hit the rocker arms anymore. That or grind down some of the rocker arm. The #2 piston is supposed to slide all the way down to the bottom of the shocks, but it hits the rocker arm before it slides all the way to the bottom of the shock body. Maybe your #2 pistons aren't tightened down as far as they should be..? Which would leave some extra travel and would explain why they hit the rocker arm! I'm so smart..

Edit: wait.. that means min are loose too...[:@]
Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 AM
FISH KILLA

Nitrovenom...you are a golden child son! I knew I read that yesterday but I could not find it to quote in my last post. Was it in the pic thread? It has to be. I checked traxxas forum and beat your truck forum. You kill me with that means yours are loose too.[:@]

I would rather buy aftermarket arms but cash is scarce for me. I need to correct the play in my cap and all my ends first to see if those contribute to the "touching issue". <-no pun From the looks of my right rear it is touching pretty hard. I can't add to many spacers or grind my rocker too much.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 AM
FISH KILLA

It has to be the side stress issue snapping them! I have noticed the play in my left rear suspension for a long time. I have known it was in the ends but I did not think that it was the prob because none of you confirmed it til today! That's right I blame all of you!!! just kidding. I tell you what. If this fixes it (replacing all me ends and watching them for enlarged holeage) then I guess I was right all along about the geometry theory. Well, looks like PecanOPatch is the hero on this one. A big thanks Pecanpatch!

Of course I am crossing my fingers still. We shall know soon enough thanks to Traxxas.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
HILLFINGER

If you are wanting to limit the down travel, you could make some bump stops, or shorten the shock shaft a bit and re thread it. Myself i would switch to different rockers I have been using Golden Horizons rockers since last may and have zero problems with them and they aren't very high.

links.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=GOLDEN++90t&search=Go]Rocker Arms at Tower Hobbies[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=GH+Racing+Alum inum+Rear+Rocker+Arms+&x=6&y=12]Rocker Arms at A Main Hobbies[/link]
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
FISH KILLA

tHANKS HILLFINGER. Is the base around the rocker post a smaller diameter you think on the GH rockers?

Sunco1 get off me about my caps

I am going to wait until everything gets here from Traxxas and rebuild it all. I will then see what issues I have. Wether it be the touching issue or not I am going to inspect the travel and clearence.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 AM
HILLFINGER

Not sure if this helps or not but in the picture below you can clearly see with the Golden Horizons Rockers there isn't a clearance issue between the rockers and spring retainers when the suspension is fully extended.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: HILLFINGER

Not sure if this helps or not but in the picture below you can clearly see with the Golden Horizons Rockers there isn't a clearance issue between the rockers and spring retainers when the suspension is fully extended.

hey hillfinger, what's that tube between shocks for? kinda interesting to know....
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM
megamaxx

looks like a custom chassis brace,hmmmmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.