Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Big Block Conversion HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
curbrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Big Block Conversion HELP!

My 3.3 finally died and now its time for that decision of rebuilding or going big block? I have 2 motors sitting on the bench,Dynamite Mach.28 and an OFNA Hyper .21.I have seen quite a few conversion kits,Traxxas,New era ect. Has anyone used either of these engines in their conversion and kept the pullstart ?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Ricky T

Default RE: Revo Big Block Conversion HELP!

the new era would be easyer to use. and U can use the PS. but your motor will sit way off the chassis
with the traxxas BB, its a little harder to use the PS,, basicly you have to move the trans forward, grind where the Fwheel goes (to make it move forward), and cut the motor mount a little
w/ this you can also use the PS. and the motor sits in the stock place
either one will work.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
cd_14

ORIGINAL: Ricky T

the new era would be easyer to use. and U can use the PS. but your motor will sit way off the chassis
with the traxxas BB, its a little harder to use the PS,, basicly you have to move the trans forward, grind where the Fwheel goes (to make it move forward), and cut the motor mount a little
w/ this you can also use the PS. and the motor sits in the stock place
either one will work.

If you wish to mod, here are some pics for you. Here's my STS .30 setup. With this you can put any engine in with a pullstart too. Drill your trans mounts a little bigger so that you can wiggle it around to mesh the engine gear. But don't move it too far up because the drive shaft won't be long enough. You'll also have to play with the throttle return spring a little and dremel your stock roll cage and some areas of your chassis/mount (for clearance) too. Exactly as Ricky T says.

Downside is that you'll be limited in gearing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19844.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	894388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80916.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	894389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73893.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	894390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42454.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	894391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38465.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	894392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89689.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	894393  
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
sly2136

I used the new era one with a hyper .21 8 port and everything works great, still have pullstart on with no probs.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
wayfast

i have used the traxxas bb kit and the qoncepts kit. i like the qoncepts one is real nice. you can use nearly any motor. are your trying to keep your pull start? if you can ditch the pull start. the new era kit sucks. the throttle linkage binds up real bad. i like the traxxas kit. i also like using the tekno throttle kit it helps to make it bind free. thats a hard choice for the motor! i like the 28 for the torque but the 21 i very good as well. it is better for racing you will have a better balanced truck. but the teckno kit is a must for smooth throttle
Old 03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
curbrash

Hey guys Thanks for all of your time and input.I have pretty much committed to the Traxxas BBC kit.I bought a Picco .21 Max and I havent even put fuel to it yet and the carb cinch bolt has taken a crap.But A quick call to OFNA and they are shipping me a new block and a new cinch bolt.So I am nowhere near firing the engine yet but from the response I got from one of the guys at OFNA,the .21 max is a little ripper,and I am able to use the pull start.I dont race,just bash so I hope this motor serves me well,and it feels like my Revo lost some weight as well.......

Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ricky T

update us with some pics later on
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
westly7

hei..whats a good motor for revo between .26 ofna force or .28 ofna force or axial?where i should get the kit for it?
im really new at this and i just play bashing around not for race
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM
curbrash

Well to be quite honest,I have been talking to someone at OFNA quite frequently,His words,the Picco .26 max is JUNK,they took way too much meat away from the block to save space and its hard to tune and runs hot.I have an Axial .28,great motor but has a 3 needle carb and is a B%@!H to tune.If your going to bash I would go either the Picco .21 or Ofna Force or Hyper's are great motors even better if you can spring the extra cash get an O.S. Motor they have an .18TZ that is a direct drop in for the Revo and you dont have to get a BBC Kit. O.S Engines are very reliable and easy to tune and go all the way up to a .30 for off road cars but are more money.If you are Going to use the Traxxas 5360x BBC ready carefully before you choose your engine or call Larry @ Traxxas and ask him what motor would be easiest to use.........On another note.....I hopefully will post some pics later of the Revo I finally got it worked out,The People at OFNA had no problem sending me parts at no cost to get me going......
Old 03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
westly7

so i better use my .28 ofna force or should i buy O.S .18TZ? O.S sounds easier since its a direct drop but i want my revo runs like crazee and undestructible,i want to pull the trigger and it goes backflip.btw what is BBC kit?so far that i know new era has the right kit for big engine.i live way in a pathetic country side so there isnt anybody that play r/c so ihave to order everything online and spend a lot for shipping.send me the pic of revo.thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
ssj2

If you could get your hands on the Qoncepts Stage 3 Revo BB kit, then go for it. That kit works pretty well from what I've heard. I had one but never used it. It comes standard with a flywheel setup too where you can run a three shoe clutch. I think that the New Era mount angles the engine a little too much over the shocks, it just looks unusual to me. The Traxxas BB kit isn't built that well as I stripped one of the screw holes in my mount, it's flimsy aluminum in my mind. The Qoncepts mount is frequently on ebay and sometimes available and Impakt RC. I have heard great things about the mount, some even say that its the best mount for the Revo yet.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM
curbrash

I just used the Traxxas conversion 5360x,Its not the best kit so Ive heard but it was pretty easy to get everything put together and it is made for the Revo in specific with every nut and bolt required and you can call tech support if you had any issuesI have talked to Larry in the past and he is very knowledgeable and patient.The Force and Hyper engines will require more "fabrication" and you may have to use a starter box.the O.S. engines are drop in(some of them) and are able to use either a pull start or EZ Start with little modification of the motor mount and rear upper control arm.There will be no question that your Revo will be a little ripper with either of these engines.The 3.3 is quite the little engine but is no match for an O.S. or other decent made big block.I say stick to your budget and knowledge as to what you get into.......you can always upgrade later on if you find an engine that you want to try out,STS,Axial OFNA/Picco are all good motors and are less expensive than O.S. Check out E-Bay,That is a great place to find inexpensive parts.If I can be of any more help just give me a Hollar.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 AM
westly7

does 0.S. have a bigger size engine instead of .18?do you think i can backflip my revo only by O.S. 18?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:05 AM
westly7

im looking at O.S .21 since i think .18 wouldnt enough (even though i never know).hows that?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:12 AM
curbrash

an O.S .18 would spank a stock 3.3,and an O.S. .21 is plenty of motor for a revo,its all about "usable power" if you put a huge motor in that truck all it will do is wheellies and will be no fun because its hard to control or always upside down.The O.S .18 will spank a stock 3.3,and the .21 is a whole other caliber.Go to YouTube.com and search revo 3.3 and the engine you think you would want to have and you will see what I mean.Its actually a good way to hear and see the performance of what you might want to buy.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
westly7

i forgot to tell you that my revo is using cen genesis wheels which is huge,is .18 can handle that?thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 AM
ttoks

umm an O.S .18 TM won't "spank" a 3.3, in fact it will be slower in top speed, they are about as powerful as each other, but the O.S's power comes on a little earlier, and drops off a little earlier as well then the 3.3, the .21 is a very nice engine, but unless you live in Australia or japan they're still way to expensive, you might as well buy an Rb Tm 523 for the money, which is a much better engine simply due to a much better design.

the more power the less control, an RB TM 523 is a very fun engine with stock gearing, yeah it will wheely when you want it to, but it takes just one tooth up on the clutch bell to turn it into a race ready engine, controllable power, a race .21 or any .28 is well beyond what a revo is capable of handling.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
westly7

but i just saw for rb tm 523 its pretty expensive if want to compare to .21 O.S engine?do you think .21 OS will be enough?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM
curbrash

The Picco .21 is what I have in my Revo,IT was pretty inexpensive from Hobby Town, $156 out the door.Plus $40 for the Traxxas BBC Kit.OFNA/Picco makes an awesome engine.My Hyper 7 buggy has a Hyper .21 and it will LEAVE my Revo when it had the 3.3 in it. You just have to shop around and ask questions check out videos and stay with a company who has a good reputation for their products.Try to stay away from things like Acme.....or some no name manufacturer.Figure out what your budget and you capabilities for modification are and narrow down from there.If you're running the Genesis rims and tires you may want to go with at least a .21 and change your gearing a bit from where Traxxas had it.check out this link to some various vids with Revos with various engines,It helped me narrow down which engine I chose.

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...k&search_type=
Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Straick7

I have the O.S. 18TM in my Revo currently with the stock sized wheels, and boy does it have some power. As far as it being able to flip or not, that really comes down to the gearing that you are running. If you are running a smaller clutch bell on the same size slipper gear, then wheelies are easier. If you run a larger slipper gear on the same size clutch bell, wheelies are once again easier. By changing the gearing for more torque, you give up your top end speed. Like Curbrash said, you will have to play with your gearing. Goodluck.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 AM
westly7

soo i guess i will ended up in 0.S .21 huh?does it direct drop or additional kit for my revo?
what size of clutch gear for easy wheelies?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 AM
ttoks

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRTM2&P=SM]O.S .21 TM[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/6151]RB Tm 523 revo kit[/link]

you pay more for the O.S then you do for the RB, and the O.S doesn't come with a pipe for it, you have to lash out more for a pipe suited to it, on top of that, the RB is a much better engine performance wise because it is based off of a big block platform with a shortened crankcase and crank rather then based off of a small block platform with a big bore piston, and just as reliable.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 AM
westly7

i got infinity pipe,isnt enough? but RB kinda out of my budget compare to OS. rb sounds perfect for my revo...confusing
Old 03-09-2008, 02:35 AM
westly7

i thought rb is more expensive than OS????
Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 AM
ttoks

far from it, the O.S is still wildly over priced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.