Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

os 21vg or picco or rb 523???

Old 03-25-2008, 05:15 PM
FISH KILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 21vg or picco or rb 523???

I am looking for a replacement for my revo 3.3 I want to keep the ez start. What engines will use the ez start system? Any others than what I mentioned?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
HILLFINGER

Default RE: os 21vg or picco or rb 523???

Links below.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/86/products_id/20016]Sirio S27RE .27 9-Port Competition Monster Truck Engine[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/86/products_id/18963]Sirio S23RE .23 9-Port Revo Killer Monster Truck Engine Conversion Kit[/link]
Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
FISH KILLA

Nice. Thanks Hillfinger.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
RevoDave

Fish stay away from the Sirio. I have the 23 and its a pain. Also have an OS18tm and it works great. The OS21tm is a drop in easy start for the Revo. I'm thinking of it for my revo and putting the 18tm in my jato. There's no support for the sirio motors. Parts for the 23 are hard to come by.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This version of the O.S. is better:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2

I'm sure his is modded though. It sounds like it. The only problem is most of those versions of .21's offered by O.S. don't offer a pull start. Only bump start.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 AM
FISH KILLA

The .21 vg takes the ez start though right?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Sirio 23 and the RB 523 are the same motor !!!! as well the new Sirio 27 I beleive is actually a 3 port, not a 9 port..
Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 AM
ttoks

no, the .21 TM takes the ezstart, stay away from all the O.S VG's of all sizes, they use a nickel coated sleeve not chrome like all other engines they make, and indeed then most engine makers use, and the nickel wares out very quickly, plus you'll need a big block convention for a VG, the TM is a drop in.

the RB TM 523 would be my top choice, but if you can get a .21TM cheaper get it, ltsa i seen they were more then the RB kit though, so the RB gives you better performance and value for money.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 AM
FISH KILLA

Thanks so much for the tip on the nickel plated sleeve. I read about that earlier today. Apperently OS warrantys any issues but why go through the trouble. Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
wayfast

i would lean towards the os 21. but the ez-start is the only thing that is holding you back. if you can ditch that then cool. but if not i would go for the rb or the picco. you may want to look in to a shaft starter rather than the ez-start. or a bump box. i have both. the os motors are very good if you maintain them. i have a 0s 30 vg that has 5 gallons of fuel on it and it still runs strong. i don't know what os motors will work with the bb kit. the os 21 for the revo is kinda weak. i like the 18 better than it. but i think that maybe the picco 26 maxx is a great motor for the price. it is also a drop in too and you can use the ez-start too. i used a roto start on mine and i love it it is the best for bashing. i have ran all of the following motors and i will rank them for you. on a scale 1-10 10 being the best

8-os 18 eb mods very good for racing

7-os 18 tm good for entry level racing and good fuel economy

8-axial 28rr not so great for racing, poor fuel economy, most power for money great for bashing. Crazy fast!!!!

6-os 30 vg lots of torque good top end runs very smooth kinda easy to tune. Bad fuel economy.

9-picco 26 maxx great for racing or bashing loads of power great low end but a very finicky motor lots of problems. Does not like high rmps. But great motor for the price. Also they have great customer service.

3-ofna force 26 junk motor I tired it just for kicks. Slow reving. No power. But lasts for a long time.

7-os 21 v- spec good for racing. Very smooth power curve. Easy to tune kinda weak on the bottom end.

7-os 30 vg eb mods loads of torque good for bashing crappy fuel economy hard to tune.

6-siro 23 hard to tune hard to get parts. Good bottom end threw mid rpm. Way over priced. Not worth it at all

-10-traxxas 3.3 junk!!!!! Nuf said

-15-traxxas 2.5r junk!!!!!!!!!! x’s 2 nuf said as well.

Out of all of those motors I think that you would be best off with a picco. But only buy a bran new one. Do not fall for the ebay deal for $80 get a new motor. But as with nay motor they all have good and bad factors to them. You have to look at what you use you truck to do and how much you want to spend. Don’t let people convince you that you need some $300 motor when that may not meet your needs. Based on what I have read in all your forms. You mostly bash and race in parking lots. Now based on my experience. You need a motor that has plenty of bottom end for bashing. The picco is great for that. It loves to do wheelies. But the top end can be week. You just need to take care of it and you will be fine. but if you want a motor that has a lot of speed you may want for a motor that has a higher range. Like the axial. It has crazy high rpm. So determine how much you want to spend and what you need and go from there. Also think long term too. Based on your track record you don’t have the best luck with motors. So do you want to dish out $200-350 for a nice motor. Not to insult you but from what I see you are still quite new to rc. So you may not know all there is to know but it seams that you have a basic idea of how to tune. But I would say wait until you get to the point that your motors are lasting a little longer before you go for that top dollar motor. I hope that helps you out and I hope that you don’t take that last bit personally.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
FISH KILLA

Thanks Wayfast I really appreciate the in depth reply. You are pretty right on about my "luck" with these engines. I know you saw by now that I blew my case in half. I know it may be hard to believe but I am tuning them well and the way they are supposed to be but I run thwem to the ground. No offense taken at all either. I am still very new but I got 5 gallons through my 3.3 with all kinds of internals being broken and repaired or replaced. Thats no ttoo bad huh? You may be right about getting the cheapest engine since I will surely rag the snot of it. Maybe a 3.3 gain I guess. Cheap, good customer service and zero mods. I want ot get out as cheap as I can. Is there any other engines in the $100.00 range that would be better than the 3.3 and fit with little to no major mods?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
rcnitrodriver

You can try ebay but I don't recommend it.