Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Davis Diesel 3.3 T-Maxx ******SUCCESS**** Answer on page 3

Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Davis Diesel 3.3 T-Maxx ******SUCCESS**** Answer on page 3

Old 05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
kramr5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Davis Diesel 3.3 T-Maxx

Hey 91gt, any chance for some pics or vids???

Bob, I know you make conversions for the os.18, do you make conversions for any other car/truck engines??

Finally, IIRC I think I've read that the 3.3 has been known to have the piston self destruct, kinda rare but it happens.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:50 PM
digifox

Default RE: Davis Diesel 3.3 T-Maxx ******SUCCESS**** Answer on page 3

i wish i could afford to get my engines done but just for my .28 is more then the engine is self....+ a Carb. modding fee,since its not insulated...and then is 29.99 a gallon for the DD diesel WHAT THE ..... i`m getting nitro for $19.99

and Diesel is only like 4-5 a gallon i see something wrong with this picture.....
(yes i know it needs oils added but like $25 in oils???)

I was trying to SAVE money not spend MORE[X(]

But it is still pretty cool..As much as it may cost its cool non the less
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM
ddd

We cannot sell our goods on the Universe as it breaks their rules. We are currently making conversions for many different ones. Give us a call for more info.

Bob Davis
DDD
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Davis Diesel 3.3 T-Maxx ******SUCCESS**** Answer on page 3

Digifox (and others) Davis has had diesel conversions for rc car/truck engines for a number of years with oustanding success OS comes to mind the .12 a number of factors come into play here it glow or diesels , the engines are oversquare in design bore greater than stroke thus due to the rod angle lateral forces come into play, at TDC and BDC the forces are vertical to the piston at any other position side forces apply, this applies to any engine, the rod is at an angle, this will put a load on the skirt which is the thinnest part of the piston
a flaw here such as weak metal , will result in skirt failure. I do not think they are heat treated after turning to relieve any stresses either
the engines run at very high revs His rod solves the rod breaking and wearing issue as glow or diesel
Due to the high revs running glow the operating temperature is much higher
If you look a glow engine running at night without a muffler you will see flame coming out the exhaust witch is wasted energy and fuel, it is burning after the power stroke. in a diesel no, it is all used to push down the piston combustion is complete and Kero has more BTUs the alcohol hence fuel economy is almost twice as good you will go twice as far on the same amount of fuel so based on that $29.95 a gallon for diesel so your fuel expense is actually less

Glow plugs have a short life in these engines , the bouncing and slamming of the car breaks the element this does not happen in aircraft use, the engines have a much calmer life and
are running at half the speed or less
I do not consider 5 or 10 hrs of use in an engine before rebuild or replacement a good deal so the extra bucks put in to the diesel mods result in a long engine life
the "food fed"to them alcohol and nitro up to 30% causes corrosion eats bearings. It interesting to note that in the instructions with my OS10LA glow aircraft is suggests rinsing the engine with KEROSENE before storing, Diesels do not rust
The Diesel produces a lot of torque so off the line its there at an instant and keeps right on going

I do have the ST-1 with the pro 28 engine it is the the same truck in the video clip on the Davis site. It is slated for future production Diesel is here to stay
The 2.5/3,3 rod is a great upgrade even if the keep the engine as glow in the Traxxax, no more shot rods killing the engine

As an added note all my airplane engines 06 thru 1,2 are diesel or diesel conversions most Davis
AMB . A.M. Bender former dealer, service,installer, in Vovo Penta, detroit, detroit Bedford. chrysler Perkins diesel, (marine) North New Jersey coast area
what applies to the big one applies to the small ones , fuel economy long life forgot my latest full size dodge PU cummins turbo diesel

Note the TT ST-1 of course is not a Traxxax product it is mentioned to show the advantage of a diesel conversion
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
91gti_wolfsburg

just keeping this out of archived heaven.

updates hopefully in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM
91gti_wolfsburg

Well, after a long hiatus, I have returned with some updates.

I have found myself engrossed in a lengthy move and have only now just unpacked my Diesel T-Maxx.

I have a truckload of parts on the way for it, so next week, I'll have some new pics of it running again.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
gonzobot

very interesting. ive been looking into getting a CH electronic ignition for my 4 stroke t-maxx so i can run pump gas

check it out
[link]http://tech.flygsw.org/ttpro120conversion.htm[/link]
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 AM
91gti_wolfsburg

You'll still have to run fuel mix right?

I mean even though it is a 4 stroke, it still doesnt have a crankcase reservoir for oil does it?

I am gonna talk with bob about possible 4 stroke diesel conversions hehehehe....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 AM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: 91gti_wolfsburg

I mean even though it is a 4 stroke, it still doesnt have a crankcase reservoir for oil does it?

I am gonna talk with bob about possible 4 stroke diesel conversions hehehehe....
The only diesel four stroke out there now is the Enya 41

http://www.enya-engine.com/ListDSL_E.html
Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 AM
gonzobot

from what reseach ive done you would mix the fuel like you would a chainsaw

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Can I run gas in my 4 cycle engine after I install the CH Ignition?

The engine will run very well on a gas/oil mix. The problem is the
carburetor. Adjustment becomes very sensitive. Extensive modification
and fuel pressure regulation would be required. We recommend
that you continue to use a low nitro alcohol fuel.

btw would it be possible to run pump diesel in a glow engine? and by the look of you clutch bell you lost some rpm and gained torque?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM
91gti_wolfsburg

^^No, a glow must run alcohol fuel.

Technically, a glow engine is a type of diesel, but not quite.

In this particular engine, it runs a mixture of kerosene, ether, cetane booster, and lubricant.

The ether to light off, the kerosene to provide the bang, the cetane to make starting a little easier, and the lubricant for obvious reasons.

RE: the power band, yea, I gained tire frying low end.

It has so much torque that it tends to destroy plastic spur gears within a single fuel tank of run time.

One of the goodies I have coming for it is a revo-pitch robinson racing metal spur.

The revo gears have larger teeth that are further apart.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
donkeymaxx

gti... i know this is off subject but i just want to give props to a fellow gti owner. I bought a 2008 GTI when they came out and i love the thing.

Nice truck, Looking forward to the pics.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
91gti_wolfsburg

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

gti... i know this is off subject but i just want to give props to a fellow gti owner. I bought a 2008 GTI when they came out and i love the thing.

Yeah, they are great cars. Mine is old school, and problem prone, but I suppose I would be too if I were a car with 200k on my clock.

I hope to have pics of the D-Maxx shredding up the driveway here soon.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

Yeah, they are great cars. Mine is old school, and problem prone, but I suppose I would be too if I were a car with 200k on my clock.

I hope to have pics of the D-Maxx shredding up the driveway here soon.
200,000 miles!!! Dang!!! thats pretty good for a VW!!!!; although, I do know the germans certainly do know how to design cars very well I might add. I still see some people around here roving around with those old VW rabbits from the 80s(I think) and they are still going strong; especially the ones that are diesel. (sorry from me too for having be off topic, just had to add a little to this topic)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Margerardcaiser

Well I have been experimenting with some different blends of fuel, Just Pump diesel and 80 weight gear oil with some limited success, as the engine warms up is much easy to keep it running. Only until I contacted a man from Canad !! and expert in the matter. I find out that what the engines need to keep them running is ether a 40% mix. Please forgive me !! but I think that is just too much for that kind of fuel, But the lure of not having to worry about glow plugs may be to much to resist!!
Also I have been planning to build my own brand of convertion kits !! Hey if I just sell them at half of the price that this guys in Connecticut is charging I will be making a killing!!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
ls1383z28

got any vids yet? why cant regular pump diesel be used? hows the life of the motor compared to the 3.3?