Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

fed up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fed up.

ORIGINAL: Soothsayerman

ORIGINAL: skootmaxx

well i talk to traxxas support and they told me that i was probably the cause of the problem. they said that if my throttle linkage was pushing on the carb at the wrong angle it would cause it to bind . also that their might be some dirt causing it to bind .
Hang in there man, if youre scratching your head, traxxas is great, give them a call anytime and you can also just ask on the forums. after you get past getting the hang of it, you will have a lot of fun but there can be a steep learning curve. patience is key. or liquor.

I second Soothsayerman's notion Just keep at it man, it does take quite a bit of patience when u are new at this also think about this we all went through the same thing at one point or another because we were all new at the nitro hobby at one point or another, and we knew we either could learn from our mistakes, or let the best of this hobby get to us or as one of the guys at a lhs here in this area told me which I believe, "I dont let problems kick my arse, I will fix the problem(s) before it gets to that point." Like I said practice makes perfect in figuring out the world of nitro vehicles and u just cant let it get to ya. Ya got to show the hobby "who's boss"....either way, good luck with it and hope ya get the problems resolved...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
rcnitrohead

As much as I dislike the lack of durability of the older 2.5 Maxxes, I have to agree with some people over here. Many of your headaches are the result of operator error. Take the time to set your gear up, and it usually will work for you. Now if you were breaking actual parts from bashing like bulkheads/arms/ and other crap like I do, then you would have the right to be fed up.[8D]
Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
skootmaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how am i suppose to set the servo end point when i dont have that feature on my remote. i basically set the link so that it would in no way shape or form over extend even if it wanted to . I did that by taking away the extra pull the that steering servo was providing .
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
rcnitrohead

Just fiddle with the linkage, bend it if it needs to be bent, its a simple piece. Observe it through its range of motion and find out whats making it bind or go in the wrong place[8D]
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
systemlord

how am i suppose to set the servo end point when i dont have that feature on my remote. i basically set the link so that it would in no way shape or form over extend even if it wanted to . I did that by taking away the extra pull the that steering servo was providing .
Yes you do have throttle and steering end points on the stock Traxxas radio, those round dials. You need to read the instructions more carefully.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
rcnitrohead

No he doesnt..... I think you should get a reality check, those dials are called trims..
Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, no EPA on the stock traxxas radios. You need to control your endpoint mechanically by adjusting the pivot holes, linkage stops and springs.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

No he doesnt..... I think you should get a reality check, those dials are called trims..
If he uses the trims and adjusts the linkages just right, then he can make it to where it doesn't bind. Theres lots of thing he can do like take off the servo horn on the servo and put it on more torward the right or left, or adjust the linkage in combo with the trims. No need to be RUDE rcnitrohhead, I don't need a reality check!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM
skootmaxx

Ya know im done . those who enjoy helping people without putting them down are more than welcome to post . but i am otherwise not very interested in hearing how stupid i am .
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Soothsayerman

Hey here's a great website for info on adjusting all kinds of stuff on the T-maxx. I've used it a lot to tweak my revo. Hope it helps!

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com./pit-lane/tm-pit-lane.asp
Old 05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
skootmaxx

ok maybe i just wasnt ment to do this hobby .maybe this t-maxx is cursed. all i know is its kicking my butt.
today i went and bought a spring to place on the linkage . hoping this would help close the carb. It does its job but it fights the servo . I listen to all at vice and adjusted the linkage. I check and rechecked making sure that when i hit the throttle it wouldnt over extend. watching it work I thought good it wont over extend . Sure enough after 3 passes it locked its self out. I back the servo horn off even more at this point its so far backed off that i cant even go wot. start it again and bam it sticks wot .To top it all of i even replaced the throttle bellcranks bushing wiht bearings.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Soothsayerman

Are you using the middle hole in the servo horn?

I dunno man, somethings not right but I don't have a t-maxx so I cant advise. From a revo perspective it sounds like the servo isn't centered at the proper neutral position er whatever. Centering the throttle/brake servo on a revo is really easy so....

Make sure the throttle trim is set at "0". Turn the transmitter and the reciever on so the servos center themselves to 0 trim. Turn everything off, then adjust the horn to dead center. On a revo this makes the horn perpendicular to the servo. Then you adjust your linkages so there is no play or binding either way. Then your good to go. The revo has a return spring on the throttle linkage that acts as a fail safe. So it won't stick WOT.

Is the carb is sticking open even with a spring? If so, the throttle is binding on the carb body and you need to align the carb so there is no binding. Sometimes you have to rotate the carb on the engine to get it right. Sometimes it's perpendicular, sometimes it's not, you just have to play with it.

This is what I mean.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64517.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	942897  
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
skootmaxx

I think i need to get a better radio . i am using hitech servo's so i was told i couldnt use the stock servo horn. trust me when i say that i did set the remote to 0 and then set the servo horn that way. That still allows the servo to over extend its self. So thats why i set it back . as far as the car i pitched the carb to the left bring up the throttle arm it helped alittle but not alot .

of topic question. whats the standard temps we are looking at when going wot .. am i really suppose to keep it down in the 270's?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Soothsayerman

I think i need to get a better radio . i am using hitech servo's so i was told i couldnt use the stock servo horn. trust me when i say that i did set the remote to 0 and then set the servo horn that way. That still allows the servo to over extend its self. So thats why i set it back . as far as the car i pitched the carb to the left bring up the throttle arm it helped alittle but not alot .

of topic question. whats the standard temps we are looking at when going wot .. am i really suppose to keep it down in the 270's?
250-285 is fine, if it gets up to 300 it's not the end of the world, you just don't want to run it at that temp a lot. If you run it slightly rich, you can get away with higher temps no big deal because the engine is well lube'd.

Yeah with the non-stock servos, a radio that allows you to set end-points at the transmitter is a much better deal. The stock radio is the suck. My next upgrade. Getting the futaba 3PM 2.4 Ghz.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
systemlord

[quote]ORIGINAL: Soothsayerman

The stock radio is the suck. My next upgrade. Getting the futaba 3PM 2.4 Ghz.
That is a very wise choice, best bang for your buck on the Futaba 3PM 2.4 Ghz FASST system. When you start buying upgraded servos using the stock Traxxas 3 channel radio, you will always run into issues. Thats true for most aftermarket parts (a new clutch kit that strays a little from the original design) for your T-Maxx/Revo.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I think your problem may be the non-stock servo horn. Is the hole you are using in the hitech servo horn the same distance form the center as the stock one. If not, you need to get it as close to that location as possible. If your throw is overextending the pull and turning the bell crank out into your spur, then you are probably too far out on the servo arm. Before getting a computer radio, I almost always had to drill my own holes in servo arms to get them just right on my t-maxx, as the predrilled holes were usually off of the proper location. If you can't find a compatible servo horn that has a predrilled hole in the right spot, find a big arm with lots of area at the right distance from center and drill your own hole.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM
nitrorcjunkie

Relax, Skoot. These are simple machines. The intent here is not to put you down, but to point out that the issues you describe are simply adjustments that must be made to make these machines perform as intended. I, too, had the exact same problem with the throttle linkage over extending and holding the carb at WOT, which made the linkage contact the slipper shaft and eat up the ball link. A little tweaking of the linkage, along with rotating the carb a little cured the problem. The carb linkage must push the carb slide in a direction close to parallel to the slide or it will bind. When my Maxx stuck at WOT, it went ballistic into a 9-inch high curb and exploded into shrapnel. I was pissed, but I figured out the problem, broke out the credit card and rebuilt my Maxx from the ground up. Don't give up, man- there's nothing like a nitro powered RC ripping s**t up!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
skootmaxx

well i hate to say it but im giving up. I dont feel like putting anymore money into the hunk of junk maxx that i tried to love so dearly.You see today i took it down and explained the problem i was having to my friend at the hobby shop. They understand the direct fustration i am having because they have literally seen me from day one of owning it. So once again i explained the problem and showed them what i had done to fix the problem. they understood. We then got to working on it . Her with the diagram book and me doing the wrench work. adjustment after adjust ment she was still binding. So then we adjusted the carb in such a manner that it wasnt putting that binding pressure on it so we thought. worked the throttle linkage and at full throttle the throttle bellcrank was no were near the point of over extention. Fixed it we thought. Wow was happy to see that finally my truck was gunna be the beast i knew it wanted to me .So just to give her a whirl i fired her up and went for a drive. she went fine for alittle bit. not really going past half throttle when bam she over extends. i thought i hadnt even given it full throttle.
she started to wanna scream so i got her pointed towards me and tried to bring her in. Wot she hits a curb flips over and starts spitting lots of gas out. Broke the double stack of skid plates that i had put on. TALK ABOUT WANTING TO CRY.
I've done so much . Ive replaced so much . I've spent so much on these little freaking parts that nickle and dime you to death.
And for what. if i didnt care as much as i did about the thing id be having fun. if i didnt try to make it work the way it was ment it would work.I freaking hate this truck. I will not do electrics because this isnt a problem of it being a nitro engine. Its the problem of it being a problem truck.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
systemlord

If your really giving up on your T-maxx, then the only other monster truck you should think about is a Savage. There the most durable stock truck on the market, get the RPM a-arms as they will never break. The savage is as strong as a truck can be, its built tuff!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
skootmaxx

I am giving up. At dinner i realized ive been working on this thing for 6 freakin months. The amount of money and time that has been spent on this is killing me. I hope everyone realizes how hard i've actually tried. I honestly think it might just be this truck .
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Soothsayerman

I am giving up. At dinner i realized ive been working on this thing for 6 freakin months. The amount of money and time that has been spent on this is killing me. I hope everyone realizes how hard i've actually tried. I honestly think it might just be this truck .
Sell your truck and get a savage or a revo. Seeing something new after struggling with something for a long time makes all the diff in the world.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
skootmaxx

for the love of gawd thank you for understanding. At this point i feel like such a failure. If there is anyone willing to speak with me over the phone i am more than willing to explain better. I feel like so much is lost over the forums . I get the feeling that people dont realize how much we have tried.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
systemlord

for the love of gawd thank you for understanding. At this point i feel like such a failure. If there is anyone willing to speak with me over the phone i am more than willing to explain better. I feel like so much is lost over the forums . I get the feeling that people dont realize how much we have tried.
I understand, its not like you just quit after the first try, you "really" gave it some serious time. Would a new radio fix the problem, maybe. Do you have picyures of the control horns and linkages so we can see whqats going on? A picture is worth...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM
skootmaxx

these are terrible pictures but are the best i could get (stupid iphone). i could not show you were the throttle body was extended to wot stoping the linkage from going any further because it broke the ballcup. brakes were not completely set as there was no problem with the brakes engaging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79638.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	943803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	943804  
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
mmduc

e mail me at [email protected]. ill give you my phone number and you can call me if you wish. i see your pain and i really feel bad for you. ive been in the hobby about 7 years, im a mechanic by trade, and the list of vehicles i own are listed below.
id be more than happy to help you out.
anything can be fixed, its just a matter of a proper diagnosis.
mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.