Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Engine Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM
ENZO7
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems...

I recently installed a pull start on my TRX 2.5 and when ever I pull the cord the engine will fire and then very quickly climb in RPM and then die. This all happens in the course of like 2 seconds and I have no idea what is going on. If you need more of an explanation let me know. Is my engine shot? What is wrong?

Please Help!!! Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Mspeed

Default RE: Engine Problems...

I'll take a stab at it. Bare with me as I ask a few questions to narrow it down. When you are primming it for starting, are you covering the exhaust or putting fuel right in the carb neck? If you are covering the exhaust, does the fuel flow right up to the carb easily? Did you remove the backplate from the engine when installing your pull starter?(exposed the rod inside) Have you removed or adjusted anything else since putting on the pull starter?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Soppy

He had to re-solder his reciever switch because something in there broke (I forget what). He had just taken the whole thing apart to clean it too. I believe he is covering the exhaust but IDK how it was flowing. I think he did remove the backplate but I am not positive. Hope that helps a bit till he can get on.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM
[email protected]

air leak....
or sounds to me like its not getting enough fuel like when you turn off the engine climbs in RPM then dies.l
Old 05-04-2008, 07:00 PM
ENZO7
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

I'll take a stab at it. Bare with me as I ask a few questions to narrow it down.
Alright here goes...

When you are primming it for starting, are you covering the exhaust or putting fuel right in the carb neck?: I blow into the exhaust hose and it goes directly to the card but when I put my finger on the pipe and pull nothin happens...

If you are covering the exhaust, does the fuel flow right up to the carb easily?: Not Really

Did you remove the backplate from the engine when installing your pull starter?: Yes you have to to install the pull start

(exposed the rod inside) Have you removed or adjusted anything else since putting on the pull starter?: No I put the pull start on yesterday.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

air leak....
or sounds to me like its not getting enough fuel like when you turn off the engine climbs in RPM then dies.l

Yep, this is the same thing I was thinking only MJA beat me to the punch definately sounds like a leak somewhere to me as well because of how the rpm's climb up then the engine totally dies....
Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
ENZO7
Banned

air leak....
No I think it is getting fuel because it is a very high rev no like when you pinch the fuel lines, it is kind of like when you take all of the wheels off the the ground and give it full gas and let it get to the top RPM possible. How would I check for an air leek?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: ENZO7

air leak....
How would I check for an air leek?
Well u can check for a air leak around the fuel tank by taking the tank off, putting it in a sinkful of water and blowing into the lines if u see any tiny bubbles anywhere, u know thats where u have a leak. For the carb area with the engine running take a spray bottle filled with a soapy solution and spray around the base of the carb while the engine is running and look for any bubbles forming do the same think on the backplate to see if either area has bubbles coming from it If u see bubbles, then there is ur answer of where ur leak(s) or possible leak(s) are at....hope this helps some....
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Mspeed

ENZO7, First thing I would make sure your throttle is closing when you are in neutral or your throttle is at rest. Easy to do, just pull the airfilter off the carb and look in to see if there is about only a 1mm gap from being closed.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Mspeed

Also, one other odd thing I have seen, is the throttle going nuts when you are trying to start it or get it running and going wide open on you. Watch your throttle linkage where it connects to the carb as you get it started. If you see a problem like this let me know, I have a few suggestions to either fix it or eliminate it.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
ENZO7
Banned

ORIGINAL: matts6887

air leak....
Well u can check for a air leak around the fuel tank by taking the tank off, putting it in a sinkful of water and blowing into the lines if u see any tiny bubbles anywhere, u know thats where u have a leak. For the carb area with the engine running take a spray bottle filled with a soapy solution and spray around the base of the carb while the engine is running and look for any bubbles forming do the same think on the backplate to see if either area has bubbles coming from it If u see bubbles, then there is ur answer of where ur leak(s) or possible leak(s) are at....hope this helps some....
Good I dea but I cant get my engine to even start... I dies within like a second of the pull.. Help
Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
ridgewalker

Mabey the carb is out of adjustment.Mabey it is to lean?
Set the lsn at 1.5 turns out andt the hsn at 4 turns out.By turns out i mean tighten down the high speed neddle till it stops don't crank on it just close it nice and easy,then turn it out 4 complete revolutions,you could mark a spot on the hsn with white out or a silver sharpie marker to make it more easy to count your turns.

Now the low speed needle,same thing tighten it down (clockwise) this one is small so be easy when it is tightened down it is closed.Now turn it out 1.5 turn's.
That should be good to get it started and it might be a bit rich depending on your weather but it will get it in the ballpark incase anything was turned during a cleaning.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 AM
ENZO7
Banned

How do you reset the idle screw?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: matts6887

air leak....
Good I dea but I cant get my engine to even start... I dies within like a second of the pull.. Help

I would try re-setting the needles to factory default settings which are 4 turns from out for the high speed and flush with the end of the carb arm/body for the low speed....these are usually too rich obviously, but it should hopefully get ya going again then re-tune from there
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
iamnot

your symptoms sound like
the only fuel the engine is getting
is what you blow into it when you prime
then it's not pulling more

add to that
your priming problems
and i'd check the
fuel delivery system

if you cannot prime
by blocking the exhaust
then you probably have an air leak
in the fuel delivery system

check the header gasket
the exhaust coupler
the fuel tank lid seal
and both the fuel and pressure lines
Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
beer=food
Banned

^^^ what he said, to me it sounds like its just leaning out, ie fuel starvation, a blockage or lack or backpressure, usually an airleak will give you very uneaven reving, not just a stall everytime, thats a tune problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
matts6887

If after u have tried re-setting the needles and that does nothing for ya check for leaks in the tank, fuel lines, o-rings and so forth, also check for blockages, etc...cause it definately sounds like something is blocking the flow of fuel to the engine....
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
ENZO7
Banned

Ok I may not have time to do it today but I will let you know... I hope is is something easy to fix...[]
Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
ENZO7
Banned

Also how do you reset the idle screw?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
ridgewalker

Sorry forgot the idle screw-set it between 0.7mm and 1.0mm.Try setting it to the 1.0mm use a slice of an old credit card or one of those small zip tie's.The credit card peice about 2mm wide and cut it on the long side.Take of your air filter and turn the idle screw in or out to move the slide in the carb.Make sure the credit card can fit in the space between the slide and the carb throat.You want about 1mm opening in the carb on the right side looking down the carb throat.It may be high at first but if the truck starts rolling turn it down a bit so it stops then procede with tunning and adjust the idle last,hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
ENZO7
Banned

Ok, i finally found time to work on my truck today after school, All it took to get it running was to reset the needles!! You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for getting it ready to go again... Now I think i just have a tuning problem, I can give it gas and the engine will rev up really hight but the truck will not go anywhere... I think it has something to do with the LSN but i am not sure... The truck will kind of stutter forward but not roll... Please help i would love to see this thing back in action tomorrow... If you need more details about what is going on i can help... thanks for the help again on getting it running and after this gets fixed we will be ready to roll!!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
ENZO7
Banned

Well I was looking at my truck last night after my last post and I saw that the fly wheel was not touching the clutch bell (i think that is what it is called, at the end of the engine that spins the flywheel) So today when I get home from school today i will loosen the engine and mount, slide it over, re tighten, and fire it up! I cant wait!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 AM
matts6887

good luck with it man, hope ya get it the problems resolved!!! [8D]
Old 05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
ENZO7
Banned

Finally got everything fixed and got it running today and I absolutely love my pull start! It is so easy!... So now on to the bad news... I was running my car 10 minutes ago, it is 73 degrees out nice and sunny... my car is running at about 220- 250 degrees, pretty good for me in Florida, I drove my car up next to me and saw that there was smoke, weather it was exhaust or steam I don't know but it was billowing ou of my glow plug and from around the side of the the engine head... It was not all of the smoke because I had a very heavy smoke trail coming from the exhaust... I cant seem to fix the problem, the engine head is on very tight and the glow plug is also as tight as can be... Please help me, is there something wrong with my engine head? My engine? My tuning? Me? I really need your help to stop the smoke, but other then that the truck was runnin better then ever before after I reset all of my needles... Thanks again for the help... Lets get this figured out and I can be on my way again...!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
jp173363

First thing first, I've had a similar problem. Try a new glow plug. I've had one in, it glowed cherry red, but the engine would act up just the same. New glow plug fixed it. The other thing I noticed is that the copper piece that the high end needle screws into was comming loose. I tightened it. Worked like a champ. But if it's loose on yours, don't make the mistake I made. I tightened it, it came loose again, and when I went to fix it again, I stipped it out. Take the engine off, clean it, pull the high end need assembley off, clean it. Go to screw it in and use some thread lock so it doesn't come loose again. I didn't do that, and the carbs are not cheap. Good Luck