Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM
socal450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

First,i dont want to turn this into a Nitro VS. Electric thread,but i do want honest opinions and advice. The +&- of both!! I have a E-REVO on pre-order but can change my mind and get the nitro-PLATINUM...I only have a few weeks to decide,HELP...I currently have a Rustler with a Mamba brushless(I bought it that way and have little experience with elec.),and i had a Nitro Rustler about 10 years ago. I will be using it mostly for bashing around,but might start hitting tracks! I ride quads and will be out in the desert and sand alot,when bashing around the house,i like the grass,like parks!! HELP ME DECIDE,IMGOING CRAZY[][&o]
Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Mspeed

Default RE: Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

I was in the same situation as you, I own two Jato's one revo 3.3 and a savage x and a plat. revo on order. I was trying to decide if i should get a E-revo or a platium revo. The race course near me allows the electric monster trucks and thats one of the main reason of getting the second revo. I do not own any electrics; however, if a company produces a nice tunable fast durable staduim in brushless, I will buy it without a doubt. Well, after owning my revo, I love it. I know alot of others will tell you all sorts of bad things or good things, but for me I will give you facts, yes it has its downsides like all trucks do, but also has some things I really like about it. After realizing you only get 30-35 out of a stock brushed 450 dollar e-revo, I would be left disappointed. I would be ok for racing but bashing would be no fun at that speed without the noise from a nitro. So after you spend another lets say 300 to get the mamba monster max set up and then you need 2 batterys, not one but two expensive lipos. Then if you want to drive it for a while you need another set of not 3 but 4 total. Now that is a bit more than I was willing to deal with. Then your left with a truck that has no noise but way over powered in acceleration, with really no center diff to tame it. So I went with the plat. revo. The e-revo makes the most since in the long run, but just too expensive to start off and no nitro screaming motor and would end up being a bit much on acceleration just to get the 45-50 mph I am looking for. People say the diffs hold up to the power on the current e-maxxs but for how long under a 5 to 6s lipo, thats what I would need to get the speed I am looking for. Electric in the stadium is so much easier to get the top end speed without the prise and ton of potential gearing that might blow.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
socal450

Good info mspeed! Is the tuning on the 3.3 a pain?When it ends up on its back,do you run into probs. with the carb or fouling plugs? I think the Novak 6.5t brushless is good with only one 3s lipo(I THINK)? I like the fact i can run my elec. @ 10p.m, Would you say there is more downtime with elec.?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Mspeed

Ok, with the nitro its going to be a totally different experience in terms of maintance. You know the drill from your rustler, nothing has changed in terms of keeping it tuned and running. The 3.3 is a lower priced motor that comes with the plat. revo. Yes there are better motors but cost alot more. Some are going to say the 3.3 is bad some will say ok or good. I have owned four 3.3's and I like them for the price. I seal my motors and have had good luck with them, I guess I have not got a bad one yet out of the bunch, some have had some bad experiences they say. I have owned some other motors that have been better interms of ez of tuning and life spand but my 3.3's have done me well so far. When you flip over or land hard ontop of the roof the nitro motors have a big issue with damaging the motor mounts, plates, fins, etc. That is with most all nitro models, it just goes with the territory of getting a nitro. When I first started into nitro I got the savage cause everyone said it was tough, and everytime I fliped and landed hard ontop of my nice axial motor, it crushed and cracked the engine plate. I got sick of it and ended up putting a roll bar over it and that wasnt enough. I put a wing on my revo to help prevent the damage, works. The plat. comes with the wing already on it. One thing I liked about the revo was its a alot ligher and tends not to crush the motor mount as easy as my savage would crack that alum plate supporting the motor. Plugs will foul if too rich or blow if too lean, just the nature of any nitro. The carb is ok, nothing special, I dont have any real issues. Like I said I seal up my motors right for the start to help avoid some of the potentail tunning issues some get. As far as downtime in electric, the charging is going to be your biggest downtime as you know. I hear the Novak's are not always the best way to spend your money on brushless monster trucks, but what do I know, I dont own one. I know what you mean about running at 10pm, its a big plus. I have had the cops called on me a few times for running my nitro's its not fun. Alot of people are annoyed by the noise, still more fun for me. Stadium for me is only one I would get in brushless. I just cant do the monster truck, maybe if it had a brushless right from the start.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

If you want performance and a platform to build upon get the E-revo, if you want the sound and smell of nitro get the platinum edition. Mspeed whats wrong with your jato?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Mspeed

You tell me.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Gregcy89

dude i suggest you buying a revo 3.3 with a nitro engine but also a good engine. its raelly cooool! you are going to enjoy every throttle and also the sound is cool! of course its easier to maintain the electric one!, but i suggest you again buying the nitro model!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:56 AM
asianplayer

ok Nitro, looks, sounds cool, smells great, and a single bash sech can go on as long as you have gas, or untill the motor dies.

cons, the amazement last untill you have to clean up the oil all over your truck that it left. tuning is a B and motors are annoying to tune. Neighbors might hate you for causing so much noise. Theres after run which gets annoying. Motors run in the $300 range for a good motor. gas is $20-30 per gallon. Gotta replace the P&S after a few gallons.
(less inital investment, but much more longterm investment.)

Electric pro, fast, torquey, If converted to brushless will beat most nitros off the line. not tuning, no mess, simple plug and go, lots of different types to buy from, motors are relativly cheap compared to nitro, on of the best and most expensive brushless motors only runs $275. no loud noise, no worry about replacing the P&S. no worrying about fliping over and having to restart the motor.
cons :large inital investment, runtime is limited the the battery size, takes a while to charge them. no noise. over heating ESC, not many conversions, more are coming but still large investment.

To be honest im a Electric man, beats the heck out of mesing with teh motor constantly only to finish up the tank and have to do it all over again. I love electric best decision i ever made. What i did is buy a nitro model, ran the motor untill it died, the converted it over to brushless. I know i probably missed alot but its just my .02
Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 AM
beer=food
Banned

Nitro is almost always faster out of the box, nitro is almost always a stronger better machines piece of equipment out of the box, they sound better, everyone can relate to the winding up of revs , some get baffled by how high they revv but anyways, nitro is more work, maintenence, but more enjoyable as a hobby overall.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 AM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: beer=food

some get baffled by how high they revv but anyways, nitro is more work, maintenence, but more enjoyable as a hobby overall.
had the SIRIO.23 powered REVO3.3 out last night ,and that little engine turns some ungodly RPM's.yes nitro is more work,and maintainance.but to me its just more fun.takes a lot more skill and patience to steup(tune )a nitro than electric.electric wins on the ease of use area but thats it in my book.electrics IMHO are boring!!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 AM
[email protected]

um AZNplayer nitro engine that run 300 you must be talkin about the novarassi engines then...o.s. and 3.3 . and picco and sirro usually run between 170-270
Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 AM
RCCanuck

never mind the 3.3 can be had for 100 bux off flea bay. Nitro is a little more work but way more rewarding in my opinion. If you like to tinker around with stuff Nitro is a breeze to master. Electric models are fun as well and have their own appeal to people that do not like the dirt or the fuss of Nitro. Or they just want the fastest possible set up for their platform. With the new technology out in the last 5 years the top end speeds and Tq of the electric models has far surpassed Nitro. Bottom line is it all depends on personnel prefferance. I love the dirt and the noise of Nitro. I hate charging batteries I find it much more realistic having to come in and fuel up.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
michael109

i have a revo 2.5r
i didnt like nitro because when i put mine up for the winter I'd have to reclean the motor to free it up.
but then i got some after run oil and tuned it
this spring it started with no problem
Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Lilredmachine

Electric. Don't be blinded by a Revo with some shiny bits a la platinum. The E-revo is a massively revised and re worked unit that will rip the guts out of any nitro truck (full stop) when fitted with the right BL system.

I'm confused, the only reason you would want a Revo platinum is if you were going racing, but everyone knows that electric is hands down the fastest, so why even look at a nitro?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I am gonna be a bit biased here because I am a nitro guy myself. So Im definately gonna have to say nitro is the better choice; but again this is just me. Now with nitro u have the "excitement" of the engine sound, the nitro fumes and the smoke from the exhaust that make it that much more realistic. With the electric; u are gonna have less overall maintenance to do because there is no oil residue from exhaust, etc, and as long as u have a decent sized battery, the runtime will be just as long if not maybe a little longer than nitro. Like some of the others have eluded to already; nitro is definately faster out of the box; however, electrics can be made to go just as fast if not a touch faster than nitros(in certain instances) with today's brushless motors and lipo batterys. Its obviously totally up to you as to what u decide to do and either way good luck with making a decision man....[8D]
Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 PM
MTpockets

i have a brushless stampede and a revo 3.3. im glad i have both. if you already have a brushless car id get a nitro, then you can run both or whichever you feel like that day.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 PM
socal450

Thanks guys, I was thinking about what MTpockets said @ work today,I have a brushless RUSTLER,it would be kinda cool to have a nitro too. I think if they had LIPO batteries that are not dangerous,dont need balancing,and dont cost as much as the truck itself,my mind would be made up already!Im getting ready to drop some good-coin soon and want to make the right choice, do any hobby shops offer two for one
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
revoskid32

I own a nitro revo myself.

GET YOURSELF A ElECTRIC! please save yourself LOTS of pain, you don't need to mess with the fuel, the elec. will be stronger i can tell you that for sure. It can be made MUCH faster then ANY nitro revo about 100$
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
[email protected]

man you sound like a person who got a lemon and not a good one![:'(]
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
beer=food
Banned

There s no such thing as an E-revo, well yet, unless you make it yourself, and MOST nitro, will outright SMASH most electric cars out of the box, standard for standard, if ya gunna spend crap loads of cash after the fact, of coarse electric is faster, still less run times but, and the faster you make an electric one go the less run time you have period, nitro ones can double the amount of energy they carry in the form of fuel, LOL bigger fuel tank, giving massive run times with the same sort of performance, now an electric one cannot do that, double the battery size to double the energy stored on the truck, thats double the weight, remember fuel is light, its weight V energy ratio is high, for bashing the nitro's are so much more fun.
l notice some that say they own a revo and say get a electric one, lazy maybe ? Dont understand nitro engines is more like it . And its not for everyone, but if you have zero and wanna try one, go nitro, experience the best of both hobbies, lets face it a nitro one is just as electricly challenging as an electric one, short of a speed controller and electric engine, so if you dont like nitro at the end of the day, the nitro chassis is going to make one strong as titanium truck for an electric one, lets face it most electric RC's have plastic chassis, there just not in the same class.

Get nitro, if you hate it sell the engine and convert it to electric, megga strong truck, and a head turner usually.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Lilredmachine

Beer=Food has obviously had his head buried in the sand for a while.

Yes, it does have a plastic chassis. Why is that an issue? Is a composite aeroplane a toy because it is made of plastic? No, it isn't, and neither is an E-revo compared to a nitro Revo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95620.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	949245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47763.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	949246  
Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
beer=food
Banned

Didnt realise a e-revo was on the way, but since it is lets look at it, plastic chassis, no match for the nitro engeneering of an alloy one, much larger ''flex'' issues, something spur gears hate, it is cheap as chips, and because its not as sound a chassis, plastic 3 dollars production cost alloy 10 dollars, mmm, you figure out why there all plastic, kyosho make electric RC with alloy chassis very strong electric RC, traxxas make good money ......you buy the spairs.......
Anyway you put it, being plastic , it is just not the same level of engeneering, personally it should have had an alloy chassis, the weight argument is BS, MT's are about strength as well as weight, 6 odd grams is nothin for the extra stregnth gained.
Now the composite toy bit, l own an FA18 single seat hornet, its 1.7 metres long still being built, it is fibre glass, basla wood, carbon fibre, and a few other things, it is not a truck absorbing running impacts, where a chassis has to cop constant vibration and bumps, tell me would you get that new E-revo and throw it off a 20 story building ? Can it fly like ya compsite toy ?
Drop em both from 2 metres see what one busts . Better yet drop an e-revo and a nitro one from 15 metres see which one shatters......\
Point being you cannot compare such things, they are so radicly different its a no brainer.
But a truck can be compaired to a truck, especially when there the same almost bar the chassis, one nitro one electric.
It is designed for its task, that does not mean it could not have been designed way better for that task.
Anyways you wanted to know why metal is better, well because lm in the metal industry ! The world is built on steel ! Steel owns you hahaha myfoooked or what.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
ozium

ORIGINAL: socal450

First,i dont want to turn this into a Nitro VS. Electric thread
This was the OP's first sentence. What part of it don't you children understand? Is it necessary to invent "facts" to make yourself correct? How can ANYONE know if the E-REVO suffers design flaws or chassis flex issues when it hasn't even been released yet? I mean this guy went from not even knowing an E-REVO was on the way to suddenly knowing everything about it in 1 post!

Electric or nitro both have advantages and disadvantages. There's enough non-biased info in this thread to make an educated decision. It's all up to personal prefernce at this point.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Mspeed

Traxxas has claimed that the plastic chassis used on the new e-revo is made of a different composite than the stardard stuff they have been using in their current electrics. Traxxas also claims with the new backbone support its suppost to be very tough. With the tranny set up and the way the motors run off the spur, I dont think they will have a issue with stripping spurs on their e-revo, but who knows anything till it comes out, well see.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
sloppyG

just because the chassis is plastic doesn't mean that it's more flexible than the nitro chassis

depending on the geometry of it, it's a very real possibility that the plastic chassis could actually be more rigid than the aluminum version

there's too much ignorance around here of, oooh it's aluminum it must be good and way better than plastic...............

plastic often has more desireable properties from an engineering standpoint

you can hold a dictionary up 11.5" in the air with a single sheet of paper if you use the right geometry..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.