Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Tranny/Gearing options

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 AM
StemTMAXX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny/Gearing options

I was out bashing today with the TMAXX, tuning the Trannys shift points. I basically have it set as to where it stays in 1st the whole time (still hauls ass) thanks to having Beadlocks and Swamp Dawgs. I 've been having trouble with my Reverse not engaging right, and I kept having to burp the throttle a little bit to get it to go in and come out of Reverse, well.... I guess i burped it one to many times and now it grinds when it does go into Reverse, I have a feeling some teeth are sheared off the gear.

SO I was thinking about taking my Reverse OUT, since I dont really use it much anyway, AND while having the Tranny apart, putting in a Single Speed or just leaving it as a 2 Speed and changing my gearing. How much of a pain is it to work on the T-MAXX Tranny?? or should I just take it to the Hobby Shop and let them do it?

What do you guys think??? Any info is greatly Appreciated.

Later,...Robby
Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Soothsayerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny/Gearing options

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com./pit-la...conversion.asp
Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Soppy

NEVER take anything to a hobby shop. I got jipped before (guy told me it took 4 hours to replace a diff and I was a n00b so I believed him, cost me $90...)
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
jp173363

Your reverse issue could be your idle set too high. Lower it a bit and try again if you want to keep it. If you are wanting to go single speed, look for a center diff kit. I know there used to be a company that had a kit called the Mutant Maxx which had a conversion for a center diff, but I'm not sure if it will work with the current Tmaxx.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
StemTMAXX

the guy that I goto is pretty cool, he cut me a really good deal with my T-MAXX and all the stuff I needed to get started and all the replacement parts so far.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 AM
StemTMAXX

hey Soothsayerman thanks a lot! that makes me feel a lot more comfortable with tearing into the Tranny. I appreiciate it greatly!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
StemTMAXX

well I bought the Forward Only Kit today and it was a breeeze to install, got the truck back together and took it out. So glad I put the FOC kit in, truck seems to accelerate better. Only problem was while I was bashing, the bolts that bolt the motor to the Motor Mount decided to come loose causing the motor to move and it stripped my Slipper Clutch Gear. So i gotta go back to the Hobby Shop tomrrow and get a new one. Would there be any advantage of getting a 56 tooth instead of a stock 54 tooth gear?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
nitrofan12

slightly higher top end but that's really it.the reason for the quicker punch of engine power is because there is less drag and weight in the transmission
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
StemTMAXX

I dont really want any more top end so ill just get a 54 tooth, yea the T-maxx was wheelying like hell today before when it had all the Reverse and etc in it wouldnt wheely as much.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Revomad1

A larger spur gear will make your truck slower. A larger clutch bell will make it faster.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
NitroVenom

Yea a larger spur gear will give you more low end end, not top end.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 AM
StemTMAXX

thats what I thought, I was trying to relate the T-MAXX gearing equation to Motocross Gearing Equation. im just gonna get a 54 tooth and be done with it, maybe eventually ill try a different clutch bell.