Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

+Perfect tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
oyaynj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +Perfect tune

the guy at my LHS said NEVER EVER touch the LSN. so i dont. i need a couple questions answered as far as tuning the TRX 3.3 goes. i only use the HSN. to get more smoke do you make it richer? if its rich in the summer will it overheat? when you tune for smoke temp sound, will the amount of smoke in the smoke trail, the temp of the engine, and the sound of the shift all the same in the winter and the summer if tuned correctly? thanks for you help and insite
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: +Perfect tune

Yes, to get more smoke, and to make it richer, u turn the high speed needle counterclockwise
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
JB COMP

I change my LSN all the time. (well every other time I drive, I usually only drive once every few months or so)
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
StemTMAXX

thats a bunch of bull... the manual even says to tune the LSN AND HSN. Thats what the pinch test is for.

Tune HSN, then LSN, then Re-Adjust Idle if necessary.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
beer=food
Banned

Making it richer in summer will cool the motor, leaning it out will make the motor run hotter, thats really the same for all seasons, as it gets cold ,as winter nears, leaning it out will keep heat in the engine and increase its performance.
For your local shop to tell you never to touch the bottom end needle, tells us that the shop probably do most the tuning and fixing of your truck, is this so ?
Have you tried to tune it fully ever ?
Why not try if not ?
Add up how much all the hobby shop visits have cost you, and compair it to a new 3.3 engine, why ? Because even if you burn a motor out learning to do it correctly your probably going to find that after that learning experience you wont need the hobby shop much ever again for tuning or repairs, that gives you spair money for parts, or even an engine if you burn one out, first thing you really have to stop doing is stressing about adjusting both neddles.
Does your revo wheelie ?
A perfect tune it will.
Have fun in anycase !
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
youwish16

i dont touch the low speed. i only tune with the high speed. i just leave mine at the factory setting. ppl say that more of the high end motors dont have low speed needles because they are pointless.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Mspeed

I am with beerfood on this one. I would say even if your Lsn is set almost right on as it is, I would learn how to adjust it. If your going to get into this nitro car hobby, you will waste a ton of money letting your hobby shop tune your motors if you dont learn at some point. Learning how to tune a Hsn is a big part, but to fully understand tuning I think its important you understand the lowend as well. The Lsn controls rich and lean setings at idle and as you step into the throttle. If you get a engine thats off on the Lsn you will be missing out on some performance and possibly some engine life if you dont learn to set it properly.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 AM
freestylingford

I agree and also the bad part is if the low speed is too rich it could cause you to make adjustments to the high speed and blow the motor do long high speed passes to test the high speed mixture.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 AM
iamnot

first
the people at your lhs
are liars
they are trying to bilk you for every cent they can
to get a perfect tune you
must, repeat,
must tune the lsn
as well as the hsn.
period,
it has to be done to get the full
potential out of the engine

every engine manufacturer out there
says the same thing
do you think the cheats at your lhs
know more than the people who made the engine?
they do not
they just know how to scare a kid
and steal his money

second
it's tune for
performance, smoke and sound
tuning for temperature
is a poor way to learn to tune
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM
NitroBobby

ORIGINAL: iamnot

first
the people at your lhs
are liars
they are trying to bilk you for every cent they can
to get a perfect tune you
must, repeat,
must tune the lsn
as well as the hsn.
period,
it has to be done to get the full
potential out of the engine

every engine manufacturer out there
says the same thing
do you think the cheats at your lhs
know more than the people who made the engine?
they do not
they just know how to scare a kid
and steal his money

second
it's tune for
performance, smoke and sound
tuning for temperature
is a poor way to learn to tune
though i can't stand the poetic look of his posts, i can't argue with his knowledge on this subject.

you definitely need to watch the videos available for tuning the TRX 3.3. they are made for beginners to the hobby and clearly state that you need to tune with both needles. this is the only way to get the most performance and life out of your engine. the guys at the LHS are trying to get over on you. they're basically telling you that you aren't capable of learning how to do this right, so you should pay them to do it for you. that's gonna cost you big $$ in the long run.

i've been into Nitro r/c for over 10 years. i re-tune the HSN and LSN almost every time i run them (usually small adjustments, but still changes). when the ambient temperature or humidity change or if atmospheric pressure changes between runs (which it pretty much always does) the needle settings will be a little off. that's the nature of this hobby, and the single biggest hurdle to overcome. read up on the subject. use the search function on this site and you'll come up with a huge amount of information on the issue. also, watch the DVD that comes with the truck/engine. it's a touch cheesy, but very informative.

oh and whoever told youwish16 that the engines that the pros use have only one needle lied. actually if you look at them they all have at least 2 needles. some have a 3rd adjustment needle as well. you just can't get the full performance potential out of these engines using only one needle.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: youwish16
ppl say that more of the high end motors dont have low speed needles because they are pointless.

Who? every high end I know of has a HSN, LSN and some even have a MSN.

The HSN is where you get your top speed and rpm's from, the LSN is where you get your "off the line" power.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
oyaynj

thank you all im goin to consider everything everyone said. i will use the LSN too. ill watch my dvd again and learn from that. that guy at the LHS is just trying to generate business by me not tuning the LSN.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: oyaynj

the guy at my LHS said NEVER EVER touch the LSN. so i dont. i need a couple questions answered as far as tuning the TRX 3.3 goes. i only use the HSN. to get more smoke do you make it richer? if its rich in the summer will it overheat? when you tune for smoke temp sound, will the amount of smoke in the smoke trail, the temp of the engine, and the sound of the shift all the same in the winter and the summer if tuned correctly? thanks for you help and insite

Now that I think about it; I dont think ur so called "hobby shop guy", does not know what he's talking about. Cause in order to get it tuned properly, u usually do have to tune the lsn as well as the hsn....I dont think its really even feasible to not tune with the lsn because if u dont, either the setting(s) will end up being too rich on one end, or too lean on the other, or too rich or too lean on both ends, and so on, etc...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
REVO 46

You need to use both HSN & LSN. When you lean the HSN you'll need to richen the LSN a little and vice versa.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: REVO 46

You need to use both HSN & LSN. When you lean the HSN you'll need to richen the LSN a little and vice versa.
My sentiments exactly!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Mspeed

I hate to say it but that piticular guy you spoke to at the hobby store has issues. He could turn out to be very informative later on if you still wish to do business with him. Sounds like right now he is either purposely hiding the "real" truth that he knows the Lsn needle is a important part of tunning or he is just nieve and not open minded enough to realize the Lsn needle might help alot in tunning. If hes just not informed then he shouldnt be just telling people not to tune it, thats like someone on here giving false info just to try and make others think they know what they are talking about, ego issue. Or hes trying to shield you from the real knowledge cause he doesnt think you can handle it or to gain your business. In any case it will only make him look really bad in the end and probably end up losing your business due to lack of trust. I have had a hard time finding a good LHS. Too many people either dont care, dont know much or think they know everything when they dont.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Pay no attention to the man behind the hobby shop counter...

Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
beer=food
Banned

How many glow plugs has he made you buy from running an overly rich tune, a glow plug will last a week at best with constant use if to rich, they just blacken up and stop firing.
How many times have you payed for service at the shop.
Some shops see what they term a ''victim'' comming into there shop, that would be someone who they can bluff easy because that ''victim'' basicly is not a mechanic and is new to it and has money that we'' the shop, can obtain without much hassle.
They have not lied to you, just put you in a grey area buy the sounds of it, to paranoid to touch it, out of fear of damaging it, stuff em, even if you do stuff it and cant fix it yourself, now, THATS there job, thats what there for ,for new players to the hobby, most shops are pretty good, some are just money hungry, what they havent told you a new motor is about 130 buck, and how many services are you up to at that shop ? But thats not lieing, thats strategic buisness, this hobby is all about YOU, and how lazy YOU are, it is your choice to go there, as trapped as you may have felt all this time, how do you feel now about doing it yourself now ?

l recon if l ask that question in a few short months, and YOU have taken the time to learn to tune, l will get an answer of, l cant believe how easy it was, it all just clicked when l was tuning the bottom end needle, and the money saved LOL, or something to that effect.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
beer=food
Banned

LOL or maybe it'll be beer you smacktard l burnt my motor out LOL ! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! hahah mybad !

watch the video that came with it !
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Mspeed

I think the most important thing to remember is there are some good people out there. Eventhough businesses are concerned in how much profit they will make, some provide good customer service, meaning they dont lie to gain your business or make it seem like they know what they are talking about when they just are blowing hot air. I know for some people its obvious they have given up trusting others in the business world, but ultimately a place that tells you the truth and remains loyal to there customers will gain more business. The places that dont look really bad and will end up losing customers in the end.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

I think the most important thing to remember is there are some good people out there. Eventhough businesses are concerned in how much profit they will make, some provide good customer service, meaning they dont lie to gain your business or make it seem like they know what they are talking about when they just are blowing hot air. I know for some people its obvious they have given up trusting others in the business world, but ultimately a place that tells you the truth and remains loyal to there customers will gain more business. The places that dont look really bad and will end up losing customers in the end.

Once again....I feel exactly the same way u do mspeed....only u beat me to the punch this time...heh
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 AM
oyaynj

thanks mspeed.. and yes beer i understand what you mean.. ill tune with both needles. i just thought he knew something i didnt.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Mspeed

Glad I could help. Over the years, I have started to learn a new dynamic in nitro tunning. I now restrict airflow over the motor to run my nitros at prefered temps in addition to all the standard tunning. I know some people will disagree with this unless its really cold out, but I have really found it helps extend the life and maximize the power of my nitro motors. Sometimes I think I can make tunning too complex especially with the addition of my buku pipe tunning, but it can be fun after you fully understand it and get that satisfaction out of a "perfect tune".

Mike
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
beer=food
Banned

ORIGINAL: oyaynj

thanks mspeed.. and yes beer i understand what you mean.. ill tune with both needles. i just thought he knew something i didnt.
LOL he did, he knew he could maybe not lie, but not tell the whole truth, alls fair in love and shops l guess ! LOL !
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
mycarisaser

My lhs told me the same. DONT TOUCH THE LSN. I could never get my tmaxx or lst tuned right. So I finally a friend showed me what I was doing wrong and they ran so much better. I did get anoyed with tuneing due to weather so I ended up going all electric. But I did learn how to get a good tune before I change over and a lsn is a must. So I help friend with there tuning now.