Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP A COMPLETE RC NEWBIE

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 AM
koastal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP A COMPLETE RC NEWBIE

Hi there,
I live in Cambodia and on the weekend on the spur of the moment I bought a $22 RC Jeep. I have used it 3 times.

ADDICTED

Now I need Bigger and faster.Of course !

I know absolutely SFA about RC cars but I want a truck. I have been looking at the Mini Quake and the Rustler but now I see mixed things said about Traxxas units.

Here are my needs ;

Robust
- We have ALOT of red dirt here. In fact, Cambodia is made for all things dirt. However I am not a mechanical guy and we have no RC outlets here so I need something that will take a pounding before it breaks and I have to order in parts from the US.
Easy to fix ( see above in italics !)
Fast - Enuff said.
Electric and easily rechargeable. I might consider a two stroke / petrol unit if it meets every other requirement.
Self Righting ( you know - if it rolls over it gets up ! )
Decent range. If I could operate it from my rooftop deck while it is in the garden below...sweet !
Budget - up to $300. ( Freight will cost $100++ if I ship it direct to here )

Basically I want something that hauls arse, doesn't break if respected and provides hours of fun for a beer swilling RC newbie !

Can you please make some recommendations/send some links etc or if anyone is selling something that suits the above please let me know. I have a mate coming here form Arizona and he could bring it for me .

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking something that must get asked all the time but I want to try and get it right first time

k
Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 AM
tier10

Default RE: PLEASE HELP A COMPLETE RC NEWBIE

Since you are pretty new to the hobby. I'm gonna recommend something that will take a decent amount of abuse without breaking your wallet.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPW87**&P=SM]2.5 T-Maxx[/link]

Tower Hobbies has a discount code on their front page.

Drive that for a few months, sell it and then get the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMHP1**&P=SM]REVO[/link]

If you think you can handle it now, and you can stretch your budget, the REVO would be a great investment right now.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

at his location, I expect nitro would be a nightmare to get ahold of... so I'd probably recommend the E maxx or E Revo, rustler or stampede wouldn't be bad either but are more limited on terain

being a beginner, stick with 6 cell batteries and the stock electrics should be about bulletproof... Traxxas gets a bad rap sometimes because the newbies are a big part of their market, the people that don't know their ear from a hole in the wall go driving at full throttle and hit a brick wall and get their panties in a bundle when they break a $10 part, or they throw in the biggest baddest battery that's pushing the electronics capabilities when they put $5000 worth of aluminum making the truck 20 pounds and wonder why the electronics overloaded...

if you get the E maxx, get a spair pair of stock front bulkheads, a pair of RPM A arms and a RPM Shock tower or two, use the rest of your budget for some 6 cell (7.2V) batteries, remember you need a pair of them (or however many sets you want to have around), and a decent charger if there's any budget left. I don't have enough experience with the revo to know what spares would be best to have around. The manuals that come with Traxxas products and their online and phone support should be enough to get you through any breakage, not to mention the guys around here know what they're doing. The E maxx might be easier to fix when broken though.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 AM
tier10

Good points!

I second the Emaxx, ERevo, or Stampede.

I personally avoid the stadium trucks as I break them every time I take them out. But maybe it is just me?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 AM
koastal

I expect nitro would be a nightmare to get ahold of
Well, we can buy AK47s and handgrenades at the market but nitro ? I want something easy !

being a beginner, stick with 6 cell batteries and the stock electrics should be about bulletproof... Traxxas gets a bad rap sometimes because the newbies are a big part of their market, the people that don't know their ear from a hole in the wall go driving at full throttle and hit a brick wall and get their panties in a bundle when they break a $10 part,
Ahem..yes the $22 unit has had a few run ins with my walls
if you get the E maxx, get a spair pair of stock front bulkheads, a pair of RPM A arms and a RPM Shock tower or two, use the rest of your budget for some 6 cell (7.2V) batteries, remember you need a pair of them (or however many sets you want to have around), and a decent charger if there's any budget left.
This kind of advice ( about spares ) is really invaluable as I have no idea what I will break first and most of so I want to order spares when i get my truck...

Also, how do i know what radio Channel to order ?

Thankyou very much.

Keep it coming.

k
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 AM
tier10

Traxxas does their radio channels by model color. If you got a buddy with a red truck, get a blue one. You can always pick up different crystals if you want a certain channel. Just make sure they are for land, water RC vehicles.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 AM
beer=food
Banned

Your online but !
You can buy anything !
If you have a credit card and address to mail it too, or am l amiss of some other factor here ?

Fuel may be an issue for nitro, but if you can find somewhere that does stock fuel, then your laughin, if not get electric, a nitro one ld get a revo an electric on the new version E-Maxx, its waterproof.

You can use aircraft remotes in trucks no problems, in fact, because most decent aircraft remotes are FM, there actually better than any standard RTR come in the box with the truck remote, ever.Most RTR packages are an AM radio, prone to interferrence around tin shed, power lines, above or below ground, passing airplanes, power transformers and a few others.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 AM
RCCanuck

shipping to Cambodia would be huge I warrant....Welcome to the hobby. Save some cash up and buy the new E -Revo coming out. Cutting edge technology and all Traxxas models come with very detailed instructions so anybody that can read will be able to learn the basics of how to use and look after it.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
capew246s

seeing as ur budget is 300 and it'll cost about 100 just to ship it your options are pretty limited to a Rustler or Stampede. Any other Traxxas would be way over your budget.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
ah-see

With a $300 budget, batteries and a charger will cost over $100 leaving you with less than $200 to spend on a car. Thats not even taking shipping into account. Shipping will be about $60, so after taking everything into account, you're left with maybe $150 to spend on the car.

I see a lot of people here matching the car price to a persons budget, without thinking of batteries, charger and most of all, shipping! Because not everyone lives in the US...and shipping overseas isn't the cheapest thing.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
koastal

You are all being very patient so again I thank you.

Ok Stuff it. I now have about 6 mates here in Phnom Penh who want to bring out the inner youth ( we are all 40yrs old !HAHHAHHHAHAAA ) and race cars /buggies and trucks etc.

I am going to go to $500. I owe it to myself and apart from drinking beer, riding dirt bikes and raising family....there is nothing to do here BUT the terrain for RC is insane. I can jump in my Cherokee and be in dirt heaven within minutes.

Nitro is a no go. I wouldn't even know where to start to look to buy it . Cambodia isn't like anywhere else in the world with a Tandy store on every corner . I am on-line no worries BUT delivering stuff here is hit and miss. Most times I get a mate to bring stuff and that's not a real issue becuase whilst I am an Aussie, I have stacks of US based buddies coming and going. I have eBayed once successfully but I am pretty sure Cambodian Post have a nice little peek at everything that comes in to see what they might want or need [:@]

I like the look of the e-maxx.

Does anyone know anything about these units ;

http://www.********.co.uk/proddetail...bles&prod=ZCA1.

Just as an aside, the little $22 unit i currently have doesn't do a bad job i the interim. It has a 5 battery stick under the chassis but is only good for a out 10 minutes until it is drained . I am just starting to get all excited when it stops ! Can i change the stick and get more time out of it ?

thanks

k

ps; Also, as I am a newbie I am struggling a bit with the acronyms but I will get there.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Soppy

You could get new batteries but one of these will be far more Bad @$$ for your terrain.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
capew246s

The E maxx is a nice truck but it sucks up battery power fast. My buddy has one and if he is running it hard the two batteries will last about 15 minutes. And those batteries cost about $50 each. So your talking about $100 for 15 min and then you need to let them cool down for like 30 minutes before you can charge them again. The E maxx has been a huge money pit for him.
If you are happy with the cheap unit you have now I'm sure you'll have a blast with an electric Rustler, Stampede or Bandit. They require only one battery And if you want to go a step up from those you can look at the brushless VXL versions of those models. Having seen the E maxx in action I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of money to spend.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
need_to_drift

get a though easy to use ready to run e-revo
im getting one in mid june and im gonna run it hard!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
koastal

ORIGINAL: capew246s

The E maxx is a nice truck but it sucks up battery power fast. My buddy has one and if he is running it hard the two batteries will last about 15 minutes. And those batteries cost about $50 each. So yr talking about $100 for 15 min and then you need to let them cool down for like 30 minutes before you can charge them again. The E maxx has been a huge money pit for him.
Bl0omin hell ! See....I need to know this stuff ! I want a unti that will run long and cheap !

Ok so if I chose a Rustler or a Stampede, what spares should I order, how long will they run on one battery stick for ( so should i buy 3 or 4 spares ).

The Rustler LOOKS to have a lower centre of gravity / ground clearance so is it more for less rough terrain and will it roll less then the Stampede ?

k
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
dalkhaw

Hello Koastal, I am into nitro cars and used to live in Cambodia. Nitro fuel is easily available from Vietnam or S'pore. If not, you can also use your own mixture of 20% castor oil + 80% methanol. These are available from chemist. If not, get someone to import for you from S'pore. I can give you the addresses of reputable shops. Buggies such as Hyper 7 or Hyper 8 are quite durable and easy to maintain. Let me know if you need more help.

rgds
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Mspeed

The stampede will handle grass and rough stuff more easily than the rustler, but will flip over much easier in turns and wheelie alot easier than the rustler. The rustler will out perform the stampede in handling especially on the flat dirt and street. If your indoubt which to get, look at your places your going to be running it and decide that way. If your still having trouble deciding, get the rustler. Reason why is the rustler is generally cheaper than a stampede and its easier and cheaper to convert a rustler to a stampede than vis versa.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
pieky22

ORIGINAL: d_khaw

Hello Koastal, I am into nitro cars and used to live in Cambodia. Nitro fuel is easily available from Vietnam or S'pore. If not, you can also use your own mixture of 20% castor oil + 80% methanol. These are available from chemist. If not, get someone to import for you from S'pore. I can give you the addresses of reputable shops. Buggies such as Hyper 7 or Hyper 8 are quite durable and easy to maintain. Let me know if you need more help.

rgds
well, my suggestions are e-revo, rustler vxl with lipo, stampede vxl with lipo, or if you are interested in nitro ^^^^^ and if you find out that nitro is easy to get then for a nitro vehicle i would suggest the xtm xcellerator, associated rc10gt2, hpi firestorm, or hpi savage x 4.6...i hope u find something that will work for u!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Jarrett123

I would definetly say go electric if ur not mechanical. The batteries can be rediculous but in the long run it is cheaper. I have a tmaxx 3.3 i am in the process of trying to sell to get an e-revo so i dont have to deal with the maintenence of a nitro truck. ESPECIALLY if u live that far away!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 AM
pieky22

ya...nvm the nitro part i said earlier... brushless lipo steups are taking over the hobby and plus it will definitly be easier for u and its power on demand!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
koastal

I actually ended up going for a Team Losi mini ST. It was cheap and it gets good reviews on the net. I thought i would start small and go bigger if i get into it ! Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

k
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 AM
dalkhaw

Hi Koastal
I will be visiting PP next month and will go back and live theree soon. Where do you run your car? Maybe we can start a club.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
dalkhaw

Hi - I am in PPenh now and looking for RC plane, heli and car hobbyist to meet up. My e-mail is: [email protected]
Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

at his location, I expect nitro would be a nightmare to get ahold of... so I'd probably recommend the E maxx or E Revo, rustler or stampede wouldn't be bad either but are more limited on terain

being a beginner, stick with 6 cell batteries and the stock electrics should be about bulletproof... Traxxas gets a bad rap sometimes because the newbies are a big part of their market, the people that don't know their ear from a hole in the wall go driving at full throttle and hit a brick wall and get their panties in a bundle when they break a $10 part, or they throw in the biggest baddest battery that's pushing the electronics capabilities when they put $5000 worth of aluminum making the truck 20 pounds and wonder why the electronics overloaded...

if you get the E maxx, get a spair pair of stock front bulkheads, a pair of RPM A arms and a RPM Shock tower or two, use the rest of your budget for some 6 cell (7.2V) batteries, remember you need a pair of them (or however many sets you want to have around), and a decent charger if there's any budget left. I don't have enough experience with the revo to know what spares would be best to have around. The manuals that come with Traxxas products and their online and phone support should be enough to get you through any breakage, not to mention the guys around here know what they're doing. The E maxx might be easier to fix when broken though.
+1; one of the main real sticking points in a location like this is the fact that since there are no hobby shops anywhere near there; the fact that getting a electric truck instead of a nitro one might obviously make more sense at this point; because that way at least as long as u have electric power somewhere nearby, u would have a place to re-charge the batt packs, etc.; whereas with nitro; once the gallon of fuel is gone; he would have to wait for more to come via mail delivery....