Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Cooling fan for T-MAXX 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Xtfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan for T-MAXX 3.3

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible to put a computer fan on a Tmaxx 3.3 to cool the engine? has anyone done it? Can you also show me how?

thanks Xtfreak
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
racemaxx24

Default RE: Cooling fan for T-MAXX 3.3

I have seen it done but as much jolting and debrie flying in there, that fan would probably be toast in a run or two. Just cut a hole in the windshield on you should have no cooling problems. Just my $0.02[8D]
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM
jaketrouble

pm mspeed,,,, he has done this and he said it works great.. he will be more then happy to help you.. he is a good guy..jake
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Xtfreak

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible to put a computer fan on a Tmaxx 3.3 to cool the engine? has anyone done it? Can you also show me how?

thanks Xtfreak
I did to my revo once, I used a seperate battery, but you do not need the fan on the motor. Engine is designed to dissapate heat, If you need a fan to keep it cool your tune is off or something is wrong with the motor
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
madbrad70

I've seen them for sale on Ebay, but i think they would break with one bad landing.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Mspeed

I have done it on my Savage X, and yes it works great. Some will not agree with me, but there is a place for cooling fans on these Monster trucks. I did alot of my bashing without picking up much speed on 90+ degree days. It is hard to keep the thing cool when your doing alot of big hill climbing too. These nitro motors produce more power and last much longer at a certain window of temps. That means keeping your motor in this small window of tempature is important for performance, tunning and longjevity. If you are serious about running a fan on your nitro, it can successful if you control the speed of the fan like I did to keep the temps in a certain range for the temp outside and type of driving your doing. I controled the speed in two different ways, one was just using AAA batterys and moving between 2-4 of them in series to control the speed. You can position the battery pack in the truck to further balance your weight for jumps and traction too. The most successful way I did it was to run a potentiameter(a dial) and control the speed by a simple turning of a dial that was hooked up inline with my reciever pack. That adds almost no extra weight since your using your onboard battery pack plus the dial lets you control the speed percisly from off to pretty much any speed you will need. Also the 5volt fans do not eat up much current at all, I could run a 5volt off 3 AAA batterys in serious for longer than the transmitter batterys in my control lasted. So I never noticed a drop off in performance with my servos using it off the reciever. Using a temp gauge and that set up worked great, no more need for all these cooling heads. Its like having multiable cooling heads at the touch of a dial. For most people they will say its a waste, with the motor properly set up usually you will not need to cool it any extra, but for a select few its a neat idea that works. These motors are already set up to be air cooled and your just enhancing that. I never had a issue with things getting stuck into the fan or anything like that. I am sure it can happen, but its not as common as some think, most electrics run fans remember that. I was talking to a relieable source about using cooling as a part of your nitro tunning, and it is possible that some sort of cooling tunning will be a near future innovation for our nitro motors. I understand the importance of it and I also understand what the next innovation might be.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Mspeed

And one more thing, that rbinovations is not the one that I would get or use and they are not the relieable source I was talking about, I put my fan along the side of the motor were it is protected not the top. I have it down so it catches the main part of the motor and graps some of the cooling fins. That way you can reliably check the temps at the top of the glow plug and it wont get recked if you flip on the motor.