Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

About to light my revo on fire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
e123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to light my revo on fire...

Ok, I bought a revo off ebay a few months ago and still havent been able to get it to run. My fingers look like they got chewed by a dog from the pullstart, and the only thing the guys at my lhs are good at is selling me parts that dont work. I really want this thing to work but I am almost to the point of finding out if it can fly. I made some progress today but it in the time it took to eat dinner it went back to how it was before I "fixed" it.

I cant even get this thing to start. It tries to turn over but wont. After spending about $70 to convert it to a rotostart I noticed there was no gasket between the engine and the header. So finally, with a $2.50 part, I got the thing to start up and run for a few seconds. Whenever I tried to give it gas it died, but I was still happy to hear it run. I went out to start it after I ate dinner and again it wont even start. It has an OS 18tz with a pullstart, and was broken in by the previous owner. He told me he put about 4 tanks through it after break-in and before I bought it from him. I really want this thig to work, but at this point I also really want to smash it. I hope you guys can help me out with this thing.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 PM
racemaxx24

Default RE: About to light my revo on fire...

Well to me it sounds like u r very rich. Is it flooding when u try to start it?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 PM
e123

Nope it isnt flooding. I thought that might be the case but I checked and it was ok.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM
racemaxx24

Is it getting any fuel to the carb?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
e123

Yup. I wasnt when I first got it - I was having to blow into the fuel tubing from the pipe to get fuel to the carb. But its works fine now that I put the gasket between the engine and the header.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM
racemaxx24

Replaced the plug? Does it have good compression? Have u replaced the fuel lines?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 PM
e123

Yup, I checked all that stuff. Everything is in good shape.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 PM
racemaxx24

Crap. Hmmmmmmm. Check for air leaks? This one has me puzzled. I'm just rying to cover the bases
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
e123

Trust me I know that feeling lol. I really think its something simple that I am missing. Thats why its so frustrating.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 PM
beer=food
Banned

Sounds lean to me, if its dieing as soon as you hit the trigger, is there, or was there blue smoke last time you started it ?
Are you sure he didnt lie about how much use the engine has had ?
If you throw that revo, LOL, you will find they bounce pretty good, LOL LOL , throw it this way ! hahaha

If its got good compression, and no air leak, which isnt a common thing with OS engines, they seal pretty good usually, then you tune is all afubar !
Richen the bottom end.Maybe the top end too.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
sunco1

Just to make sure he is not lying about how much gas he ran though it I would manually turn your flywheel. If you can feel a noticable "pinch" then your ok
Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Clymer122693

If the motor is good,reset the carb to factory settings and go from there, also heat the head before starting the engine it may help.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 PM
temptation

Ok man, first I want you to relax, take a deep breathe and we can work through this together. LOL… there could be several things here. First off, you said that the gasket between the header and engine was missing. This mean several things could have happen. Don’t panic!!!!

1. If the engine was run without this gasket for any amount of time then that means it went lean and maybe hot. Provided the engine does not need a rebuild the possible fixes are changing glow plugs, or retuning the carb. My guess is the engine needs to be retuned. With that engine, I would start out with the low-end needle almost flush with a little sticking out to ensure a rich mixture for starters. Try 2 ½ turns out on the high-end needle. You may have to lean both a little to get it started. Just turn the needles 1/8 turns if needed until you get it set. I would also recommend doing another break-in process if you don’t know what fuel and/or nitro percentage he was running before.
2. Another thing to look for is air leaks, which is what you had without a gasket. Other places could be the carb, head, and/or glow plug. Sometimes the bearing too.
3. Also I would check the one-way bearing in the pull start. Check to see if the shaft that goes into the bearing is smooth or if it has scars on it, if you see scars you need to replace both the shaft and one-way bearing. A bad one-way bearing can sometimes grab in both direction preventing the engine from running.

Also try this links.
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=583924&da=y
Or do a search for “R/C setup and tuning guide covering just about everything. “ or look under my previous post.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Sounds lean to me, if its dieing as soon as you hit the trigger, is there, or was there blue smoke last time you started it ?
Are you sure he didnt lie about how much use the engine has had ?
If you throw that revo, LOL, you will find they bounce pretty good, LOL LOL , throw it this way ! hahaha

If its got good compression, and no air leak, which isnt a common thing with OS engines, they seal pretty good usually, then you tune is all afubar !
Richen the bottom end.Maybe the top end too.
Im with beer on this one. Sounds like it COULD!!! be startving for fuel. IF u can, i would try and find out what the default needle settings are, and re-set the needles back to the factory needle settings and try and see if u can get it to run from there....
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
e123

Thanks for all the info. It does have good pinch, so I think it just needs to be tuned. I guess I will have to figure out how to tune it as I go. It just sucks because when I bought it I figured the guys at my lhs would be more helpfull.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: e123

Thanks for all the info. It does have good pinch, so I think it just needs to be tuned. I guess I will have to figure out how to tune it as I go. It just sucks because when I bought it I figured the guys at my lhs would be more helpfull.
Well, sometimes(as much as I hate to say it) those lhs people aren't always what they are cracked up to be sometimes; sometimes its just better if u get get info from people like "us"; rather than from the lhs; as they arent always the best source of info out there...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
racemaxx24

ORIGINAL: matts6887

Well, sometimes(as much as I hate to say it) those lhs people aren't always what they are cracked up to be sometimes; sometimes its just better if u get get info from people like "us"; rather than from the lhs; as they arent always the best source of info out there...
+1 The guy at one LHS is an *****hole. There ones at the other store are very helpful
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
ruajon

IS GAS GETTING TO THE MOTOR. CARB CLOGGED MAYBE. REBIULD THE CARB
Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
matts6887

Also, u might wanna check the high speed needle to make sure it isnt clogged with dirt or grime, as that can prevent the proper flow of fuel to the carb in turn causing it to do what its doing...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
e123

I really think it just needs to be tuned since I did have it running for a little bit. But how do I check the needle to find out if its clogged?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
matts6887

I really think it just needs to be tuned since I did have it running for a little bit. But how do I check the needle to find out if its clogged?
Carefully unscrew the high speed needle all the way out until the needle completely comes out of the brass nipple,(be careful not to lose the spring that sits on the needle if there is one), and take out the needle, then take a q-tip or something soft and "swirl" it around inside to see if any dirt comes out. While u have the needle all the way out, I would also clean the needle with some denatured alcohol and/or some compressed air...hope this helps ya...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
dewberryb

Most LHS's turn there backs on people who buy there RCs somewhere else and then come to them for help. The LHS here does that. Sounds to me you are on your own. Keep trying and you will get it. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
madcatter

i am new to the nitro stuff but,with all the stuff you checked,maybe its the glowplug wire(any of the blue insulation torn)
depending on the previous owners post run maintainence,it may have gotten some moisture in from fuel being in there,i would check full line for leaks,it may be drawing air,also the fuel filter in the tank....
did ya spray it out good with wd?
heres a long shot-gunked up exhust pipe?????
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
e123

I am pretty sure now that the problem was the missing gasket between the engine and the header. I had the thing running yesterday for a little while but it died whenever I gave it any throttle. I found a guy who is going to help me tune the engine so I should find out pretty soon if that is the problem or not. If not, its back to rc universe!

As far as my lhs - they suck. Sold me a bunch of parts that didnt even fit and then gave me a hard time today when I went to return the stuff. I guess I was supposed to just keep everything. I had my truck there a few different times trying to figure out why it wouldnt work, and nobody noticed the gasket thing. Seems like a pretty easy thing to catch for somebody with a lot of experience. I dont need their advice anymore, and I can get parts cheaper online.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Ok, I bought a revo off ebay a few months ago and still havent been able to get it to run. My fingers look like they got chewed by a dog from the pullstart, and the only thing the guys at my lhs are good at is selling me parts that dont work. I really want this thing to work but I am almost to the point of finding out if it can fly. I made some progress today but it in the time it took to eat dinner it went back to how it was before I "fixed" it.

I cant even get this thing to start. It tries to turn over but wont. After spending about $70 to convert it to a rotostart I noticed there was no gasket between the engine and the header. So finally, with a $2.50 part, I got the thing to start up and run for a few seconds. Whenever I tried to give it gas it died, but I was still happy to hear it run. I went out to start it after I ate dinner and again it wont even start. It has an OS 18tz with a pullstart, and was broken in by the previous owner. He told me he put about 4 tanks through it after break-in and before I bought it from him. I really want this thig to work, but at this point I also really want to smash it. I hope you guys can help me out with this thing.
If you want to burn it, dont do that, give it to me! I always wanted a Revo of my own

Anyways, since you bought it used and the TZ engine is also used, dismount it, disasemble it, clean it, and throughouly inspect it. Every thime I buy a used engine 9 times out of 10, it needs a rebuild (the sellers often times want to dump the engines on auction because they screwed them up and they are not covered under warranty). So, I hate to say, dont be surprised if you have to rebuild your TZ. It is a good engine and is well worth the rebuild (if that is the case). But if nothing is wrong and you get the engine cleaned, be sure to take the extra step to RTV seal it and make sure it ie properly assembled according to the OS TZ manual (go to OSracing on-line to DL the manual in PDF format). Then, make sure the rest of the Revo is up to par, (DL the Revo manual from Traxxas, in PDF also, I think). Once you get the engine mounted properly and all the control linkages up to correct settings, then try to restart your Revo and get it to go. The point of my story is always thoroughly inspect and fix everything when you buy a used RC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.