Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

BREAK IN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 PM
CarFreak92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BREAK IN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Im on my fourth tank of fuel and my idle just wont go down. I keep trying to put the idle speed down but when i do put it down (counter clockwise) the idle speed just seems to go up. I really need help before I start up the 3.3!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:14 PM
jayrguidaben

Default RE: BREAK IN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to keep the idle gap as small as possible. The gap is usually happy around the 0.7mm to 1.0mm mark. If you find yourself having to go beyond the 1.0mm mark then there is a good chance that the low-speed mixture is a little on the rich side. If you are turning the idle stop screw out so much that the RPM is no longer being affected but is still too high, then the low-speed needle is too lean.

Keep in mind that the above conditions and adjustments are usually found in an extreme situation when the truck wants to kick into gear or the engine is hanging up badly. Once you have corrected these problems or if they just simply do not apply, then it's time to move on to fine tuning the low-speed needle with the low-speed mixture test.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Mspeed

If you have backed out on the Lsn(set it a bit richer) and backed out on the idle screw and its still too high of a idle, check your Hsn. With the engine off carefully turn your Hsn in till it stops(carefully) and count the turns. You should of counted 4 complete turns in till it stops. If its under 3 and a half that could be your problem. Now just back it out 4 complete turns to set it properly. If it counts 4 turns and your richer on the Lsn and backed out on the idle and still nothing, time to leak test everything. I hate to say it but that could be your problem if everything else has been set properly.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
CarFreak92

my lsn is not flush with the arm so i will correct that and make sure it is working correctly now aswell. i will also check the high speed need and make it 4 turns out. i will get back to you guys tomorrow or the day after as it is rainin tomorrow. Any more suggestions please comment.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 PM
beer=food
Banned

If you cant bring the idle down with the idle screw set at .7 to 1mm, its leaning out after its warmed up, and maybe getting hotter as it leans more as it gets hotter ! Get the cycle ?
Try richening first, not leaning it out.
Check your transmitter is set right on the throdle adjust.
If you have checked everything and it all checks out, start looking for air leaks, but thats unlikely.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Mspeed

Sometimes you have to go richer than flush on the LSN to get it to set so it wont idle up on these traxxas motors. Back it out pasted flush.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Mspeed

What are your temps at when its idling up, that will say alot about it leaning out on you.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 AM
CarFreak92

it's not getting that hot because even after 10 mins or so breaking it in on one tank the engine didn't over heat or cut out once. it pretty much firing up the first time and staying on no matter what. theres no obvious sign of over heatin so i dought it is that cycle. i have checked my throttle adj and my idle screw is set to .7-1.0mm. after i run it 2day i'll let you now how it works.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 AM
CarFreak92

hey guys i put my needle back to the factory setting but have not started the truck up yet. the HSN was about 3 1/2 turns out, way too lean for break in, and the LSN was out a bit meaning on the rich side. this would explain the very slow throttle response. Also i think my front engine bearing is leaking as ther was quite alot of fuel around that area and the carbureator was dry so it must of been the bearing. HELP ANYONE!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

If you have backed out on the Lsn(set it a bit richer) and backed out on the idle screw and its still too high of a idle, check your Hsn. With the engine off carefully turn your Hsn in till it stops(carefully) and count the turns. You should of counted 4 complete turns in till it stops. If its under 3 and a half that could be your problem. Now just back it out 4 complete turns to set it properly. If it counts 4 turns and your richer on the Lsn and backed out on the idle and still nothing, time to leak test everything. I hate to say it but that could be your problem if everything else has been set properly.
Actually u should mean check the low speed needle there mspeed; because remember, the low speed needle is what has a effect on the idle speed....not the high speed needle.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
revocrazy7

maby you are turning the idle screw the wrong way because i know on my os. 18 its clocwise. but uh its a diffrent engine so idk

just my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
bigbama1962

make sure ur throttle is releasing all the way
Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
jayrguidaben

bigbama im not bashing you or anything but did you know this thread is like a month ago.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM
CarFreak92

hey no probs i always check up on my post evrynow and then. ow n by the way i backed out my lsn bout 1/4 turn and its idling perfectly now so thanks for all of the help