Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Good motor for a revo build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
proplumberco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good motor for a revo build?

I am new to the sport and I am hooked. I am currently building a revo and I am unsure of what motor to choose. I am trying to keep the chassis as light as possible, so I started with the vantage carbon fiber chassis and RPM arms. I am a power monger but the budget on this truck is already getting up there. I am looking for suggestions from more experienced people on which motor gives me the best bang for the buck? I considered the Traxxas 3.3 but it seems a lot of people on these boards tend to think this motor is hard to tune and that is definitely a factor in my decision, I would like a motor that isn't a pain to tune.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Mspeed

Default RE: Good motor for a revo build?

My top two picks for the revo are the O.S .21tm for its reliablity, easy to tune, quality, can stick with a smaller exhaust and keep the rear pipe. Plus, it fits in the stock location and doesnt sit up high. My second pick is the .26 picco maxx red dot. This motor is not too much harder to put in, the newera mount(not the one that is made for all bigblocks), the one that is for the picco motors makes it easy to drop in and has a pretty nice fit. I wouldnt recommend the ofna mount, its not as nice. The picco .26 red dot gives you a ton of power for what it cost. In terms of cost effective its hard to beat for just a basher. The quality is ok, but not the best. It is a bit more of a gas hog. The picco really needs a side pipe to breath and reach its most potental that means hacking up the side and dropping in a nice BB pipe. The .28 picco is really a over kill, if I were to go that route id put all steel axles in and run the steel top shaft gears and no reverse. There are alot of big blocks out there to choose from, but you will need a good mount and the picco is more of a med block and the newera mount is made to fit it and does a decent job. If I were going to race, id go .21 O.S. tm, bashing you can go with the picco just be aware of extra work invovled, but its a beast for the revo.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 AM
racemaxx24

The Picco .26 max will fit in the ofna mount with no mods
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Mspeed

Eventhough the ofna mount for the picco .26 maxx will work, you will be restricted to a only a few gearing options unless you do some dremeling or shaving. I would recommend another mount like the newera .21 mount. It will allow more gearing options and is of higher quality.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
naynay12

Lrp z.28r spec 3 with some modding....
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM
rcbeep73

i did the same thing. i did a revo up for racing and i put in the big block kit from new era. the big block kit is real nice. i had put in the axial 28 rr in. very very fast. but one problem the head sticks up so much that i kept pounding the head when i flip it. the last time i used it i hit the head so hard i bent the chassis at the engine mount. so now i am going to get the O.S. 21TM. it fits the stock mount just like the 3.3 and it gives the revo good power and speed. good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 AM
wayfast

i would stay away from the os 21. i had one and i wish that i would have never bought it. i like the stock 3.3 over that motor. however the picco 26 red dot would be a great motor. if you are looking for the most bang for your buck that is the way to go. you can get it for really cheap too. towwer has it for 224 and you can get like 20 off so you are looking at about 200 bones to have all the power you could ever want. this motor will work best with a side pipe but i have found the ths pipe and the stock pipe from the Associated MGT works very well and it is very loud! i love this combo. it has power every where that i need it. i am going to buy another one when i get the $ i think the best bb kit to use with this motor is the traxxas kit. it work very well and you can run any gaering you would like. plus it comes with all the stuff to do it.