Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Blown Engine? ERP Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
TMaxxDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Engine? ERP Question...

past few days, going out to fire up the maxx... doesnt wanna start right away... so i take out the glow plug and flip it upside down and try to start it with the EZ start (in case i flooded it).. then put the plug back in, and it fires up... it ran like a raped ape today!!! then shut it off, by putting the finger over the exhaust, and that seems to flood it, then have the hard time starting again... so i was curious about the engine replacement plan... in case i have a blown motor/not getting compression....? just dont know... NOW for the ERP, can i trade in my 2.5r, even if i bought it used from someone, and dont have a receipt or anything like that? just mail in my engine and the money for the replacement?? any help please...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
iamnot

Default RE: Blown Engine? ERP Question...

traxxas does not care where the engine came from
i'm not sure of the exact procedure for trading it in
some people do it at their lhs
some send it to traxxas
in any case traxxas has the instructions on their site
or you could call them

for your engine problem
try shutting it off by pinching shut the fuel line just before the carb and see if it's any easier to start
or it could be as simple as retuning the engine
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the instructions are not that complicated really. U should probably call traxxas ahead of time to get a rma number for ur return item so that u can send it back withoiut a problem....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
TMaxxDriver

alrighty then. thanks guys... i dont THINK its the engine... its just gets hard to start when i shut if off by covering the exhaust... pinching the fuel line, makes it rev outta control, so that dont work for some reason... i usually just let it sit in front of me, then let it stall out after a min... then its usually easier to start the next day, etc... and yeah, it probably needs retuned... but like i said, it ran like a raped ape today... the temp here, must have been ideal for how its tuned at the moment.. it was amazing actually!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
beer=food
Banned

Yea if u shut down like that and leave it, you effectively are going to get gunky fuel oil through the engine , when you try to start it next. The fuel draws moisture in from the air so when the oil and moisture bind, it gunks up, that gunky crap gets on your glow plug when you try to start next and it wont fire.Pinch the fuel line to kill it, burns up remaining fuel.No gunk in engine.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

From your last post it sounds like you need to tune the carb. Plugging the exhaust will flood the engine. If you pinch the fuel line

and the rpms dramatically increase and it takes longer than 4 seconds to stall the engine, then the idle mixture is too rich.

Try leaning the idle mixture, turn the idle screw in 1/8 turn at a time until pinching the fuel line causes it to stall in 2 or 3 seconds.

Drive the truck around a bit between each 1/8 turn increments to burn the excessive fuel from the crankcase.

You no doubt will have to turn the idle speed screw down. A rich idle mix slows down the engine, a leaner mix speed up the idle.

If the engine runs ok otherwise, there is probably nothing wrong with it. Just my opinion fwiw.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

alrighty then. thanks guys... i dont THINK its the engine... its just gets hard to start when i shut if off by covering the exhaust... pinching the fuel line, makes it rev outta control, so that dont work for some reason... i usually just let it sit in front of me, then let it stall out after a min... then its usually easier to start the next day, etc... and yeah, it probably needs retuned... but like i said, it ran like a raped ape today... the temp here, must have been ideal for how its tuned at the moment.. it was amazing actually!!
Well it still could very well possibly be a compression issue in addition to it possibly needing to be re-tuned....
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer but if it had compresson issues would it still run like a "raped ape"?

Can someone enlighten me?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
matts6887

Well, I do believe it is possible for it to run like a "raped ape" if u can get it to stay running that is, because with a engine that has lost compression, u will experience the engine constantly dieing out when already warm...