Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Want my picco .26?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
molsen3385
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Want my picco .26?

Well after a disappointing summer with my picco .26 I am putting my 3.3 back in. I sent my revo to 3 dif people with my picco engine on it to see if they could get the thing running and all 3 couldnt' It's wierd. The engine is def sealed(needles carb head backplate, everything) checked over all 3 times and re done. Put the boca bearing kit in it case of bad bearings and still nothing. I retuned over and over. Engine just wont run. I can get it started but have to give it throttle then work the throttle to keep it running then go to run it around to warm it up still working throttle to keep running if to much or to little gas it will stall when i do get truck to temp it doesn't change nothing. I have to work to keep the truck running. ive turnded idle up nothing. The engine is broke in it was about the 3rd tank when it started to get hard to keep running but i manage to get 7 tanks through thinking it would loosen up when broken in but its hasn't its gotten worse. I've given this to 3 people who have been working on rc's for a long time and they dont know whats wrong with it. It realy has me stumped and pissed off as I am a paraplegic so everytime thr truck stalled(3000 times lol) far away it pissed me off. So I dont know what to do with this engine. I use the jl bumpbox and have the 40mm traxxas flywheel on it. I use trinty 25% fuel and the c 59 glo plug. If anyone thinks they can get this engine running ill pay them 50 bucks lol. But anyway Im putting the 3.3 back on bc I have no more money tp put into my revo as I already have prolly over a grand in it and dint even get to run it hard or basicly at all beside break in. So before i put truck up for winter I want to know itll run...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:51 AM
TMaxxDriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Want my picco .26?

Man that sounds like a bummer of a situation there... Picco's are known to be one of the most finicky engines, BUT then again, when they are at their best, they can be MONSTEROUS!!

I'm not sure what else you can do with it... I'm open for donations of a Picco... LoL..

Good luck, I know when things are broke/not running right, it can be very frustrating, but that's just part of the hobby. I actually enjoy working on my RC's almost as much as I love running them and bashing them!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 AM
michaelwash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man I would have to say send it to me. I don't know. I have just install a picco .26 on one of my T maxx's. And nothing but joy. A little funny at first. But then nothing but power, speed and funn. I'M IN LOVE WITH A PICCO!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 AM
TMaxxDriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: michaelwash

Man I would have to say send it to me. I don't know. I have just install a picco .26 on one of my T maxx's. And nothing but joy. A little funny at first. But then nothing but power, speed and funn. I'M IN LOVE WITH A PICCO!!!!!!!!

Yeah I couldn't agree more. I would be in love with a Picco if i had one, but for now we will say that I have a HUGE crush on a Picco.

I have done so much research, reading, video watching, engine comparisons, and I feel that the Picco is the way to go. Picco .26 Max JL Red Dot in particular!!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
RCCanuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PM sent
Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 AM
molsen3385

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah I have heard alot of good thing about the piccos and also heard they are hard ro tune with is why I had someone who realy knew what they were doing deal with it and not good results. I took things into my own hands and tuned it way I was told on here and just had to fight to get the thing to stay running. Thier is something sersiously wrong about this engine. I thank you RCcanuk for the pm as I am considering sending it to you bc you have answered alot of my questions in the past and I have seen you on here alot So if you think you can get it running for me be my guest. Ill send it to you tomarow as i just sent u a pm also. Thanx alot guys
Old 10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
RCCanuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no problem at all dude.....I'll do my best with it......The piccos are in a league of their own..Mine took a full gallon of fuel to get it broken in and tuned properly.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 PM
matts6887

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sux to have to hear about ur major problems with the picco man. I know how ya feel though because I use to have a now lonnng since discontinued picco and it even got the best of me from time to time. Anyways, that aside, have u ever though about trying some new fuel, or a different type of fuel? The reason I ask is because when I use to have my old generation t-maxx; one time, I had just put a brand new fantom .15 in it, and was in the process of TRYING to get it broken in, but for some reason I just could not get it to fire, I tried new plugs, with a fully charged ignitor, the needles set at factory break in for that engine at that time, and everything in between. I even had some fellow rc'ers that was at that track I was at, at the time try and help me out, and even they couldnt get it to fire no matter what they did. As it turned out, in the end, I had some BAD fuel, that was part of a bad batch of fuel that was out there. I tried some fuel of a different type, and BAM that did the trick!!! finally kicked over and was fine after that. Bottom line is, it could quite possibly be the fuel u are using that either somehow went bad, or may have been bad from the start, so I would try some new fuel and see if maybe that might solve the problem......because it very well could be the problem.....
Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 PM
molsen3385

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm I am pretty sure I tried different fuels bc when i had the other 2 guys try to get it running they used thier own fuel. And the other day when I tried to get it to run after I got it back for the 3rd time I used my buddies bottle of 25% trinity fuel and same. So i dont think its the fuel but maybe I dont know like i said this engine has me baffled and since I am a paraplegic it sucks wheeling after the thing every time i do get it to run for 2 mins.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
matts6887

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, even still, it could still possibly be the problem, because like I said before, Ive experienced it myself; and even though u tried ur buddies fuel, I would still give some NEW, FRESH stuff a shot, WITH NEW PLUGS, and with it set at factory defaults as far as the needles go....
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
aftershock108

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

id try putting an O.S. A3 glow plug in it and try, ive found those to be a really good plug
when something of mine isnt running right ill try one of the A3 and useally fixes it
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 PM
oompwa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had issues with the Picco Max also.

One issue that had me frustrated for a while was, there is a metal sleeve that came seperated from plastic carb body. This sleeve keeps the plastic carb body from being damaged by the pinch bolt. The sleeve snaps onto the base of the carb and is retained by two little nubs. Once one of the nubs snaps off, the sleeve just rocks back and forth, and you have an air leak. I found a permanent solution to this problem though.

Here is a copy of my remedy from a previous post;

The metal sleeve is used to prevent the plastic body from being damaged by the pinch bolt. The sleeve broke on my carb also, but I found a remedy. I used Loctite 620 Retaining Compound to re-attach the sleeve to the carb body permanently. It can withstand 450 degrees F.. It is not a threadlock, but is actually designed to hold cylindrical parts together.

I took the carb off, and scuffed up the plastic body with some scotch brite. You have to clean both the body and the inside of the sleeve with rubbing alcohol, to prep the two surfaces. Only use a little bit of compound, but make sure it is all the way around the body. Push the sleeve on all the way, and let it cure for at least a day. It will be stronger than new, when it cures.

You can buy the compound in a small, .02 oz. tube for about $1.75. I bought mine from McMaster Carr for $1.63.

I did this repair early last year, still holding up fine.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 AM
gmcman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How fresh is your fuel? Before you give up on the Picco...get an O.S. #8 plug and some Odonnel or Byrons but not traxxas top fuel and see how it runs. Whenever a buddy of mine gives me his motor to look at I run some FRESH fuel, change to a good plug and make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged and it usually runs fine.

Let us know.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
molsen3385

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I have had several diff types off fuel through it this summer and tried 3 dif plugs but dont thing I gave the os a shot maybe though. But anyway we have been dinking with this engine since around april or may and it has been nothing but stubborn. I am just gona send it out to RcCanuk and see what he can do for me as I am sick of chasing after this thing in my wheelchair. Hopefully he can get it going and if he does will deff keep you updated.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
matts6887

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont blame ya for being sick of chasing after it; especially when ur confined to a wheelchair such as in ur case. Well in any event, I hope whatever he does; helps to solve the problem and that hopefully he can get it to stay running once and for all.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
molsen3385

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same here i thank you guys for all your in put you guys have helped me out alot. hopefully when i get my engine back eigther I or RcCanuk will update and let ya know what was up with this thing. Thanx again Guys been great
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
molsen3385

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So i put my 3.3 back in while i sent out my picco and I think putting the thing aside made it jealouse bc after i tinkered with it to get it tuned in to weather seeing how last time i ran it it was 85 out and now it was about 55. Engine ran great when it was tuned in way better than when i took it out. thing has alot more power than I remeber it having. Gona have some fun with it before snow flies and beat it up while its running and hope to hear good things about the picco and maybe next year will be a dif story. I love the power of the 3.3 but I always want more so if the picco shapes up it will for sure be going back in. Lets hope RcCanuk can get my Picco going.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Airmicro
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had several Picco .26 engines and they do run good, but I did have one of them act somewhat like yours, and it turned out after messing with it for a week, to be a hairline crack in the block! You couldn't see it, and no oil or fuel leaked there, but it sure made it very frustrating trying to break-in and tune!