Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TMaxx wont do wheelies...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 PM
ThatRustyKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMaxx wont do wheelies...

Hey how can i get my t maxx to do wheelies? The suspensions pretty hard and i have a wheelie bar but the thing just wont pull up. Its a 2.5 and its broken in properlly. Maybe the Slipper Clutch is too loose?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: TMaxx wont do wheelies...

bigger spur gear or smaller clutch bell should do it...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 PM
DaveG55

Assuming that it's tuned properly of course...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 PM
cmerritt

you shouldn't have to change gearing to pull wheelies. a good tune will do it. i used to pull wheelies with my 2.5 on stock tires on pavement. just play with the tune and slipper setting, you'll get it.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM
DeLeon79

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Assuming that it's tuned properly of course...
ya...just keep tuning it untill you start seeing the frnt wheels come up...trust me and everyone on here...its a pain to test and tune these engines...but at the end...its worth it!!! when i was breaking in my 3.3...by the 4-6 tank...i was busting wheelies up and down my street!!!

so be patient...test and tune to your weather and temp...and in no time...youll be busting wheelies all day!!!!!

have fun!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM
jimmmy

Tune until there is a thick plume of blue smoke and then lean both high and low needles 1/8th turn at a time until it pops up. The front end should be popping up, when i had my 2.5 i could pop it up as it shifted into second if i hit a decent bump. Also what brand fuel and what percent are you using?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
rcdudegermy10

I had the 2.5r in my T-Maxx, but it never wheelied...tightening the slipper, having good traction, and possibly a diff gear ratio could help but idk
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Do not lean both needles at the same time.  Follow the tuning instructions given all over these forums.  Tune for sound/smoke/performance first, this will be done with the HSN.  Set the LSN at stock settings, then lean 1/12th of a turn while you tune the HSN.  After you get the smoke/sound/performance right, tune the LSN using the pinch test (my preferred method) or the idle test (not as exact).  Just make sure after each and every adjustment you make, you do a couple high speed runs to clean excess fuel out of the carb.  Once it's tuned right, it will idle for a long time and wheelie on command.  My S-Maxx idles forever, never overheats, wheelies on command and runs like a bat outta heck with the 2.5.  Once you get a good tune, you will only need to make minor adjustments (usually just 1/8 turn lean (hotter weather) or rich (colder weather)on the HSN) whenever you bring it out after that.  You will pretty much be able to leave the LSN alone until the outside temperature changes dramatically.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
07 t-maxx

Yes check your tune. How much fuel have you ran through it? Check drive shafts for twisting at the sliding connection, especially the rear shafts, mine did this and NOWHEELY any more, replace drive shafts. Also try a new glow plug and don't use stale fuel. If no wheely check tranny input gear pin I sheared mine off fr wheelys 3 times, over drill hole and gear slightly and insert a drive shaft pin much stronger.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:25 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing that jumps out at me is once you set your Low Speed Needle, You don't want to adjust it again. With any Nitro enine you tune the High Speed first then the Low Speed. Once those are set you only need to set the High Speed from day to day as the weather changes.
When I wanted my Tmaxx with the 2.5 in it to wheelie I changed the gearing. The tranny was a single speed FOC but it ran very good. It's hard to desrcibe how to make a Nitro Truck wheelie. I've owned 4 Nitro Trucks and all of them were able to wheelie almost on demand. And all 4 Nitro Trucks had diferent Engine's. TRX 2.5, TRX3.3, O.S. .21RG and My current Losi XXL has a .28.
If your still having trouble and it gets frustrating, go buy a Nitro Truck with a bigger Engine. The bigger they are he easier they are to tune. Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM
scoobs92

the 2.5 is a pain in the rear to tune correctly i bought mine last august and still havent got it perfect they are very fussy with weather changes ive never got mine to pull wheelies
Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM
larryf333

All the T-Maxxes around here can pull wheelies with a 2.5.  It just has to be tuned right.  My Bro-in-law got a T-Maxx with a 2.5 in a trade.  When I got done tuning it, it pulls wheelies, hauls azz, stays right around 250 degrees and has held the tune very well, requiring only a 1/12th to 1/8th of a turn on the HSN to account for outside temp/humidity changes.  Three of my buddies run Maxxes, one with the 2.5, one with the 2.5R and one with a 3.3.  All wheelie on demand.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
scoobs92

this was my first new out of the box nitro all the other used ones ive had were used so im still getting used to tuning how long did it take you to tune your inlaws
Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
larryf333

I've been in Nitro for over 8 years now.  It took me about 3 minutes to get it good, then some fine adjusting over the next 10 minutes to get it perfect.  You should be able to get to a good tune with only a few high speed passes.  Then you have to adjust in very small increments to get it perfect.  His truck will sit and idle forever, then pull a wheelie as soon as he punches the throttle.  The only thing I can't get him to do is get rid of his temp gun.  I thought I had taught him how to tune his trucks when I tuned the T-Maxx, but he chases temps on his Firestorm all day while he's running.  He's constantly having to change glow plugs due to bad tunes.  His engine will be shot soon.  Don't chase temps!  After a long hard run the engine will be hotter.  On hot days the engine will be really hot after a long run, don't be alarmed if it goes over 285 after a long run on a 100 degree day.  As long as there is a good smoke trail, the sound is right and it runs without cutting out, you know you have a good tune. 
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: bigblock454XXL

First thing that jumps out at me is once you set your Low Speed Needle, You don't want to adjust it again. With any Nitro enine you tune the High Speed first then the Low Speed. Once those are set you only need to set the High Speed from day to day as the weather changes.
I disagree. On some engines (GRP, RB, etc) you want to tune the LSN first, and I tune the LSN first on ALL my engines. Read my tunng guide here,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8831801/anchors_8831801/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8831801
. It goes against all other methods, but this is what the pros do to tune and it works phenomial!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Right, are we gonna make this guy a pro right off the bat? We're talking about newbies to the Nitro scene. He's got13 posts which tells me he's gonna need lots offeedback.Let's start with basics first then go from there. People can learn as they go. I wasn't asking you if you agreed or not I was just stating what works for me. To each their own.
How can you tell or teach someone who's new to go against the method? I guess I'll stick to the Losi Forum and leave you guys to your own.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
cenracer1

Wheelies are a function of tuning with the T-Maxx... Here is a short video of my 2.5 converted to 3.3 specs running an OS 18 TM... The OS has plenty of power, but not that much more than the 2.5 or 3.3... If the OS is slightly off tune, it won't wheelie either... Enjoy
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/g...P3180148-1.flv