Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

picco.26 with fast idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM
ELMOBSTER
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco.26 with fast idle

i have been dealing with this issue for 2 gallons of BYRONS %20 fuel, "im getting real tired of this engine" i have sealed everything, and replaced the front bearing with a bocca bearing, this engine is air tight, it always starts up real easy, i drive it till it warms up, and then it seems like the idle wants to stay a little high, at the point the clutches start to engage, the pinch test is about 4-5 seconds, you can't idle it down with the idle screw or it will die, ofna says the idle gap should be about a 1/16 gap. so i tried to richen the low speed a little at a time but then it's to rich, each time i adjust the needle i make a couple of passes and then let it idle, it almost wants to idle down a little but when i hammer the throttle you can tell the low speed is way to rich, i put a side pipe because people seem to think it may run better and tune easier, that didnt happen. this thing is a total nightmare from day one, NEVER!!! AGAIN!!! will i purchase a picco, there has got to be something better in that price range
Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
RCCanuck

Default RE: picco.26 with fast idle

ok so where is your idle set screw at?......if the low speed is too rich lean it out....then set your idle set screw......never mind what OFNa says set it so it idles the way you want........
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
ELMOBSTER

the low speed is set a little less than 1/16, if i set the idle much lower it dont want to idle, im sure because its a little rich, i tried to lean it out the low speed very little at a time, and it idles up a little then i try to idle it down but doesnt seem to want to, but if i keep turning the screw it's either one extreme or the other ; it either die or idle fast,there is no in between, i have tuned my buggies and never had a problem, im just about ready to give up on this one
Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 AM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: ELMOBSTER

the low speed is set a little less than 1/16, if i set the idle much lower it dont want to idle, im sure because its a little rich, i tried to lean it out the low speed very little at a time, and it idles up a little then i try to idle it down but doesnt seem to want to, but if i keep turning the screw it's either one extreme or the other ; it either die or idle fast,there is no in between, i have tuned my buggies and never had a problem, im just about ready to give up on this one
From what you are saying you are trying to set the idle by tuning the LSN.....forget about the idle right now in fact turn it up a little bit on your transmitter then set your LSN so when you do a pinch test the engines idlesfor 3-5 seconds then speeds up and dies....once you have that set then turn the idle back to O on the transmitter and tune the idle set screw to get it to idle where you want it......the idle set screw does not add or take fuel away it simply meters the amount of air getting into the carb while at idle......so thats why they need to be tuned individually.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
JLRevo

I ran into this tuning guide a while back read by Ron Paris. It almost 10 years old but still is dead-on. I post this on everyones post who complains about PIcco being a pain.

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/sho...f3ca89&t=40731

Actually someone shopuld post it here and MOds make it a sticky. If you can read and interpet everything in the article , it should make tuning a breeze.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

ok so where is your idle set screw at?......if the low speed is too rich lean it out....then set your idle set screw......never mind what OFNa says set it so it idles the way you want........
+1!!! except for the low speed part. Usually on most if not all engines; if a engine has a high idle, first check the idle screw setting, then check the low speed needle and richen or lean as necessary, and lastly, u probably should also think about "Sealing" up the engine for any possible air leaks in the suspect areas(carb o-rings, etc
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
ELMOBSTER

i have sealed the engine with sensor safe RTV, i have actually tried raising the idle up a little more than normal, then set the low speed to about 3-5 seconds on the pinch test, and when i try to lower the idle it really doesn't come down like you would think, i keep turning it a little at a time and run it and bring it in a listen to it, and when it gets to an area when it sounds like it's going to start to idle a little bit lower, it dies, in order for it to sit and stay running i have to idle it up, and thats when the clutches start to grab, also when its idling i can see little bit of raw fuel spitting out the pipe, i cant find one air leak in this engine, is it possible the tank is not set up for this engine, its not leaking but thats the only thing i haven't changed
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 AM
JLRevo

Another thing I noticed was my PIcco idles alot faster than my 3.3 ever did. Still does. AS its not taking off or anything just kind of fast.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
ELMOBSTER

ORIGINAL: kasarn

Another thing I noticed was my PIcco idles alot faster than my 3.3 ever did. Still does. AS its not taking off or anything just kind of fast.
maybe i am being to picky with this engine, it's really powerful and it's fast, it does idle faster than any engine i have ever owned, i would like to hear someone's picco running at an idle, it seems there is always some loud music playing when someone is showing a video and you can't hear the engine
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 AM
RCCanuck

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SqTgmL...eature=related
watch this