Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

A Small Wheel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
ridikt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Small Wheel Problem

its the nut holding the wheel on, i think your best bet will be the vise grips, or attaching the socket to it somehow.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 AM
superman11
My Feedback: (1)

I am his brother, the little bolt that hold on the wheel is stuck, the socket dosent fit over because the nut it rounded off, we will try the vice grips next (they are at my dads house )
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
RCCanuck

just need some good old fashioned elbow grease and a pair of needlenose pliers.......may have to get Dad to help or if Dad's useless with tools find someone else with strong hands........you have to squeeze really hard on the nut while turning and holding the wheel it will come loose.....are you sure the threads aren't reversed on that axle......or maybe some locktite on it if so use a soldering iron against the nut to heat it up.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I'm betting the thing is cross-threaded on there, and he'll need a new axle and nut anyway!

Just sayin'.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Soppy

I think it is too. I tried the vice grips and managed to **** it up pretty good. The nut is officially no longer rounded off but rather, screwed up beyond belief. I already have new wheels and hubs waiting to go on so all I need is where to cut. Photographs with little lines drawn on them will work. I want to save as much money as possible and am unsure of the part numbers I will need to order. This is the worst way to break something... Not even bashing, just used a socket wrench before hand tightening...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way you would be able to cut the wheel off is if you cut the axle carrier right under each pivot ball and then take off the driveshaft. Which is gonna be really hard because the wheel is still attached. I would just let someone else try to get the nut off. RCCanuck had a good Idea with the soldering iron. Just heat up the bolt and try pulling it off again with the vice grips. Stick a thick island key or a screwdriver into the driveshaft U-joint to make sure it doesn't move the axle. If the vice grips don't work anymore try an old set of wire cutters to turn it. Spray some wd-40 on the threads.

Another idea would be to shave down flat spots on the bolt with your dremel so you can grip it again.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
fabrimacator21

Don't heat up the axle... the axle will expand faster then the nut and get stuck worse... heat up the nut. Sounds like it's cross threaded because if it was over tightened the wheel would have cracked. If your gonna cut it I would just start cutting the nut as close to the rim as you can without nicking it and once it's weak enough take some plyers and bend it until it breaks off.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Soppy

At this point I don't care if I ruin the rim. I have new wheels and tires coming already with Ofna 17 mm adapters. I just want it off without ruining anything but the wheel or hex.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

People in Hell want ice water too.

If you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs.

Basically, it sucks, but you're gonna have to start cuttin stuff up. Like the hex, the axle, the nut...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
fabrimacator21

in that case take a hammer chisle to the rim and just break it. Your axle is most likely stripped so it's a crap shoot... do you want to save the rim and cut the maybe stripped axle or break the rim and save the maybe stripped axle.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Soppy

If this help determine if the axel is striped, the CVD rotates when I do get the nut to move a little even though the wheel is stationary. (I got it to move a little with vice grips which are no longer working...)