Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
JJay03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide

Im looking into getting a revo soon but I cant decide electric or nitro. The reason I was thinking electric was to mess with it in the house some and not make too much noise. My friend use to have an electric rustler when I was younger we had so much fun with that thing making ramps in his basement. Do the nitros require a lot of maintenance?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
donkeymaxx

Default RE: Help me decide

Yes. nitros are high maintenance. But there is nothing like the smell and raw power of a nitro engine.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
JJay03

Im trying to find more info on the rustler vxl it might be what im looking for are they good quality? I know its only 2wd but its a lot cheaper then the revo.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
donkeymaxx

i like rustlers and yes they are good quality. the rear shock towers break easy but if you replace it with an RPM one you will be fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
JJay03

Cool thanks for the reply leaning towards the rustler vxl now I like how simple it is too.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
rotor head33

i have never broken a rear shock tower
hey i may be able to sell you one
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Believe me- even an E-Revo ain't no truck for in the house- you gotta give it plenty of room. Take it from a long-time nitro head- start out electric and upgrade to nitro after mastering your driving skills. I agree with the above posts that a Rustler is the perfect newbie vehicle- there's plenty of aftermarket hop ups for the Rusty.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
MMT GUNS

For indoors get a Mini electric R/C for realistic action on dirt, snow and mud no doubt NITRO but if you are a new comer to the hobby start with electric and work your way up.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
JJay03

I wouldnt mess with it much indoors maybe a bit in the basement. I was just worried about the rustler durability since its cheaper. The vxl looks like it can get some good speed. Hows the water resistance on the VXL?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
MMT GUNS

Rustler are damn good Stadium Truck the VXL are awesome you can get any after market parts for it and make it perform better any day. I still have my first generation Rustler is been true living hell and still running, here's a pic to let you know how good and durable they are. this is allmost stock Rustler, the VXL is way much better.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric is cool if your starting out or live in an area where the sound of 1000 bees would bring the cops to your door... hell some of em will do 70+ with the right stuff.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
JJay03

Thanks for the replys I think the rustler vxl would be a good starter truck. Later if I want to go nitro then I can still have the rustler to mess around with also.
Nice rustler mmt
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JJay03

Im looking into getting a revo soon but I cant decide electric or nitro. The reason I was thinking electric was to mess with it in the house some and not make too much noise. My friend use to have an electric rustler when I was younger we had so much fun with that thing making ramps in his basement. Do the nitros require a lot of maintenance?

Well, like donkeymaxx already mentioned; nitros can definitely be high maintenance, but imo, nitro is better because while yes, it is a bit more "challenging" to master in terms of tuning, etc.; still it adds more "realism" I think because of the smell of the exhaust and the overall noise of the engine and whatnot....good luck in deciding. [8D]
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
MMT GUNS

Thanks for the replys I think the rustler vxl would be a good starter truck. Later if I want to go nitro then I can still have the rustler to mess around with also.
Nice rustler mmt

"Thanks man" yea if you are targeting the Rustler go for it, you wont be disappointed at all. (good luck)

quote: let us know the up date when you get a chance.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

IF your budget can handle it just go for a e-maxx or e-revo. If not the rusty is a very good truck, durable as hell. I have the rustler xl-5 and it was good. Not to great for the snow though
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
JJay03

My budget could handle the e-revo but just dont know if I could justify it right now with so many things to buy for my new house yet. My girl would kill me also if she found out I spent that much lol. Unless maybe I sold some other toys.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
JJay03

Do you guys think towerhobbies would be the best place to order it from? Looking for a good charger and deciding if I want to go lipo or just a 7 cell nimh for now.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
MMT GUNS

Tower Hobbies is grate store but you can check out this one as well

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_936601532.asp
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 PM
JJay03

Wow they have a good price on it and free shipping are they good to deal with? I noticed on the other site you could pick the color also I dont see that there.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
MMT GUNS

Yes they are, maybe as good as Tower Hobbies. I'm Planing to get another Rustler as well lol my wife just gave me the look

I'm getting the XL5.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
JJay03

Ill call them on monday to see if they have the blue one. I still have a ton of questions hate being the newb asking everything tho.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
MMT GUNS

Hey! it doesn't bother me.

I'm not an expert but I have a little experience over the years of R/C, time has change alot tho
Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM
JJay03

What is the big deal with lipo's why does it say they are dangerous? I also see another connector on the packs what is that for im guessing its used to balance not sure.
I was looking at this.
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...500-74&cat=119
So many different ones out there not sure which to get.

I heard a 7 cell nimh is pretty quick in this truck also I see max amps sells 2 different ones.
Any threads on here that tell a lot about battery choices?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
JJay03

ORIGINAL: matts6887

Well, like donkeymaxx already mentioned; nitros can definitely be high maintenance, but imo, nitro is better because while yes, it is a bit more "challenging" to master in terms of tuning, etc.; still it adds more "realism" I think because of the smell of the exhaust and the overall noise of the engine and whatnot....good luck in deciding. [8D]
I just figured if I kept it simple I would have more time for it and maybe get more interested in a nitro later. Not that I dont like to tune I would mess with my car for hrs but I had more time then. I like the raw speed of the vxl but I dont like how they wheelie so easy hopefully a good wheelie bar and higher gearing could cure that. Something about a fast electric car sounds awesome too I think like a little missle.

John
Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
JJay03

Just ordered it from towerhobbies . I got the blue one cant wait to get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.