Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

My Project (60+ mph T-maxx) *Car Done*

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
RCCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new project

oh and you chassis is backwards in the pic
Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCCannuck, then you haven't seen my Savage. I have a truggy shock conversion on it, the COG right now is roughly similar to a stock T-maxx's height if not a tad lower. Do you really think I'd attempt to run a stock Savage at those speeds?

For some reason my external hard drive wont work, so I can only access my Photobucket pics, here is one (Note- Body is jacked up waaay higher than normal making the truck appear tall, I didn't want to bang up my head bashing):

Roughly 3cm lower than stock I believe, sorry for the hijack. If the OP wants to take a cheaper but more risky route, I suggest buying an STS .30 2006 version, mine had been excellent with minor quirks now at under 5 gallons. It will keep up and outstrip some Picco .28s stock, quality however is horrible. Picco .28 is definitely my next engine, and its gonna be a modded one when the STS takes a dump.

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
donkeymaxx

Ok, after 2 hours at my LHS here is the progress i made and the list of parts i ordered.

1. Axial .28RR (38,500 RPM!!! http://www.axialracing.com/details.php?Id=3531 )
2. Big Block Universal Mount
3. Big block clutch kit by XTM
4. Revo Spec slipper clutch assembly(This will let me use Jato spur gears)
5. Jammin JP2 pipe (For top end)
6. Traxxas big bore shocks

It was a hard debate on the engine. Everyone is skeptical about a 60+ mph T-Maxx. I decided on this engine because of the rpms. Everything else i will need they have in stock, for now i just have to wait.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43772.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1104338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90912.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1104339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92848.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1104340  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
gonzobot

cool project[8D] what tires do you plan on using?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Cool, good luck. I really doubt that even running a .26 RD you'd have enough traction with 2WD and rubbers. My Savage does some serious speed (don't have any official radar data but it should be close to 45-47mph) and it weighs under 11lbs according to a fishing scale, its is scary at WOT. There is barely any control, understandable as I have the suspension jacked up pretty high. Your T-maxx is going to need to be lowered with a lot of odds and ends to run properly.

Tom.
I would have to say Tom here is probably right with the suspension thing; especially because as high off the ground as the maxx sits, the maxx may tip over at speed that is that high; also because the center of gravity is not gonna be the greatest as high off the ground that it sits, so u would definitely have to do something to lower it quite a bit in order to obviously make it more stable at higher speeds(at least thats the general idea here)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
rcnitrohead

I'm sorry to be negative but IMO you made a big mistake on the engine. Almost all of the people who own .28RRs say they are complete turds and recommend their OLDER .28 Spec 1 brothers. Do you really think the RR makes that much RPM? You should have payed a bit more attention to RCU, everyone here is working towards your best interests. A number of people have suggested engines that will give you the highest chance of achieving your goal in the most stress free environment as well as spending the least money. You threw caution to the winds by going to your LHS, the only things they consulted you properly were on the engine mount, pipe, shocks, and slipper I guess. Whatever, its your money so I guess I'll enjoy watching the build the rest of the way; just have in mind that your build will never be as successful as it could have been with the advice that some of the people here could have given you. At least you have made progress with buying parts, so I'll give you props. But IMO it has not been money spent to the fullest for the equipment you invested in.

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
donkeymaxx

I'm sorry to be negative but IMO you made a big mistake on the engine. Almost all of the people who own .28RRs say they are complete turds and recommend their OLDER .28 Spec 1 brothers. Do you really think the RR makes that much RPM? You should have payed a bit more attention to RCU, everyone here is working towards your best interests. A number of people have suggested engines that will give you the highest chance of achieving your goal in the most stress free environment as well as spending the least money. You threw caution to the winds by going to your LHS, the only things they consulted you properly were on the engine mount, pipe, shocks, and slipper I guess. Whatever, its your money so I guess I'll enjoy watching the build the rest of the way; just have in mind that your build will never be as successful as it could have been with the advice that some of the people here could have given you. At least you have made progress with buying parts, so I'll give you props. But IMO it has not been money spent to the fullest for the equipment you invested in.

Tom.
First off i respect everyones advice and this was a hard decision. I am sure you have been through this before. I did do some research and it is like all engines, some people hate them and some people love them. According to the .28rr thread they are great engines..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58..._6/key_/tm.htm

We will find out. Worst case scenario the engine sucks and i took a 150 buck learning curve. Again thanks for the advice guys and i will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
rcnitrohead

Hope it works out man, I didn't want to sound like a grumpy old coot but I guess I came off that way. You should hang out by the general engines forums more, you would have gotten some super advice. Lot of guys that know their stuff there,

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
fabrimacator21

I think the axial makes 1.5 hp or somewhere around there which isn't bad but not the best you could do... I got my picco p3 .28 of ebay new in box for $150. Once you fire that axial the resale value goes way down and it gets harder to sell. I have done a ton of research on the bb's power wise to figure out which was the best motor and the picco won. Cheap and nothing beats the thing... well maybe the os .28 by 0.04 hp but it's alot more expensive and 0.04 hp is un-noticeable. The picco has 2 hp out of the box. Yeah your giving up 4,000 rpm to the axial but the axial makes 1/2 hp less. Thats the equivelant to a 350 chevy with 400hp vz a slightly higher reving chevy 350 with 300 hp. Just gear it high, thats all you have to do. I assure rpm is not the key to top speed... It's having the grunt to push a monster truck to 65 mph. Wind resistence and rotational mass are your main worries and hp is the only way to solve them.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
donkeymaxx

This is promising.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eD5-CkmDx0
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

I think the axial makes 1.5 hp or somewhere around there which isn't bad but not the best you could do... I got my picco p3 .28 of ebay new in box for $150. Once you fire that axial the resale value goes way down and it gets harder to sell. I have done a ton of research on the bb's power wise to figure out which was the best motor and the picco won. Cheap and nothing beats the thing... well maybe the os .28 by 0.04 hp but it's alot more expensive and 0.04 hp is un-noticeable. The picco has 2 hp out of the box. Yeah your giving up 4,000 rpm to the axial but the axial makes 1/2 hp less. Thats the equivelant to a 350 chevy with 400hp vz a slightly higher reving chevy 350 with 300 hp. Just gear it high, thats all you have to do. I assure rpm is not the key to top speed... It's having the grunt to push a monster truck to 65 mph. Wind resistence and rotational mass are your main worries and hp is the only way to solve them.

theres no such thing is a lower reveing engine of the same of the design and displacement that puts out more peak hp than i high reving engine (more rpm's = more combustion strokes and more hp) torque on the other hand....
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
matts6887

Well, in any event, I hope u have good luck with the engine u decdied to go with man; I definitely stand behind whatever route u choose to go!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
fabrimacator21

How do you figure.... just because a motor revs higher doesn't mean more hp since peak hp is never made at peak rpm... most of the bbs make peak hp at 25K or so when they peak out on rpm in the mid to high 30K's. It's the efficiency of the stroke that makes hp not the number of strokes.

That video looks like it may be a runner though. 70+ mph savage is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
rcnitrohead

Gonzo, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that relationship is true. Sure I won"t have my mechanical engineering degree for another 4 years (if that means anything), but from numerous dyno charts I have observed, I don't believe that statement is correct.

Donkey- I will say that the video is impressive, but I also watched the other on with the RB TM928 and it shocked me. The guy is running 17/47 gearing, popping wheelies, and getting 73mph+. Now he does have a 3 speed and what looks like a full porting job done, but I'm running an engine with similar performance stock for stock with 18/47 and don't believe to be hitting close to those numbers. Sure I need to invest in a 3 speed, but still thats a long shot. That guy must have done so good stuff to get his engines to run like that..

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
donkeymaxx

thanks.... I guess we will all find out eventually.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
donkeymaxx

ORIGINAL: gonzobot

cool project[8D] what tires do you plan on using?
I am not 100% sure yet. I started to look at street tires and i guess the best bet would be huge foams. I am going to run on those bow ties at first though. Blowing up bow ties would be a sweet video.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
donkeymaxx

Gonzo, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that relationship is true. Sure I won"t have my mechanical engineering degree for another 4 years (if that means anything), but from numerous dyno charts I have observed, I don't believe that statement is correct.

Donkey- I will say that the video is impressive, but I also watched the other on with the RB TM928 and it shocked me. The guy is running 17/47 gearing, popping wheelies, and getting 73mph+. Now he does have a 3 speed and what looks like a full porting job done, but I'm running an engine with similar performance stock for stock with 18/47 and don't believe to be hitting close to those numbers. Sure I need to invest in a 3 speed, but still thats a long shot. That guy must have done so good stuff to get his engines to run like that..

Tom.
Yeah i wasnt much of a speed guy at first, but after watching a 71 mph jato in person, it gave me the fever. I wanted to post a good video and this is less risky and more rewarding than trying to jump a rc car over a pond.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

How do you figure.... just because a motor revs higher doesn't mean more hp since peak hp is never made at peak rpm... most of the bbs make peak hp at 25K or so when they peak out on rpm in the mid to high 30K's. It's the efficiency of the stroke that makes hp not the number of strokes.

That video looks like it may be a runner though. 70+ mph savage is nothing to sneeze at.

yes efficiency of the combustion does play a part in hp... i over minded that. but a engine capable of hitting a higher maxx rpm's is going to hit power band higher in the rpm range. i just know from rebiulding my small block 350 that if i wanted more hp (say for street performance) i would build for more of a peaky high reving engine. and if i wanted torque (for a truck) i would go for a low reving engine. HP=TORQUE X RPM / 5252 the division part is just to make a more manageable number, so that sould gives you a idea how rpm's play a part in hp
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
gonzobot

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 PM
gonzobot

sorry double post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

Ok, after 2 hours at my LHS here is the progress i made and the list of parts i ordered.

1. Axial .28RR (38,500 RPM!!! http://www.axialracing.com/details.php?Id=3531 )
2. Big Block Universal Mount
3. Big block clutch kit by XTM
4. Revo Spec slipper clutch assembly(This will let me use Jato spur gears)
5. Jammin JP2 pipe (For top end)
6. Traxxas big bore shocks

It was a hard debate on the engine. Everyone is skeptical about a 60+ mph T-Maxx. I decided on this engine because of the rpms. Everything else i will need they have in stock, for now i just have to wait.

Looks like a pretty cool list of items ya got there donkeymaxx!!! lookin forward to seein the finished product for sure once u are done!!! [8D]
Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
f0rb3s

hey brother its me with the jato.....
i'll help u on the suspension set-up....
if i was u tho... i'd toss to=hose rpm arms....
we can take a dremel to the stock ones and lighten them up.. i found that lighter is better, but there is a balance u have stay in between...
get my number from scotty and we can get it goin...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
donkeymaxx

I already took off the rpm towers. U think i should put stock arms back on in?

Does it perform better with a body?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
f0rb3s

they are lighter... i'll take a look at it in the next couple of days when im at BMI
Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
rcnitrohead

I think you guys would have better luck trying to lighten RPM arms. The stockers are made out of a plastic that is very prone to snapping under stress. I think it'd be a good formula to retain most of the RPM durability while making a lighter setup?

Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.