Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

My Project (60+ mph T-maxx) *Car Done*

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
superman11
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new project

Remember he will not be bashing so it should not be a problem
Old 01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

This is promising.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eD5-CkmDx0

just to play devils advocate this guy may have had his radar gun reading kmh instead of mph.

just sumthin to think about

62 kmh is roughly 38 mph
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Diamond in the ruff

I'm really new to this field, but I saw an article in "rc car action" about this (it was a savage, but the principles apply) you might want to check it out
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That article is bull, Kevin at RCCA used some of the worst junk you can put on an R/C car. The only thing he did like you is use an Axial RR engine, I think he got like 55mph out of it? He was running N2O with a K&N pos filter and some other usless junk that adds weight. My Savage is setup loads better, cept I have heavier TVPs and I don't have a 3 speed.

Sure durability shouldn't be a problem, but I remember my stock T-maxx arms to be very weak. If they still use the same plastic formula, I'd think twice about using them after removing material. Worst part failure I've ever had at WOT was a wheel falling off LOL (on my T-maxx of course), you don't want your arm taking a sump from hitting a speed bump.

I need to do this one day for fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9V4aRB-XsU

I found the RCCA vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBWT...e=channel_page

Tom.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Mufasa_719

ORIGINAL: cat samich

This is promising.....

just to play devils advocate this guy may have had his radar gun reading kmh instead of mph.

just sumthin to think about

62 kmh is roughly 38 mph

I do belive he is right. Even the best modded MT coulddent go from 40-60mph just like that and then to 70.......

Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
fabrimacator21

That thing is moving though... If I had to guess between 70 mph and 40 mph I would that was 70
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
rcnitrohead

Well hes doing 30 "mph" in first gear, I'll say its kph... Fooled me the first time tho
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
fabrimacator21

yup your right its kph
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
fabrimacator21

Heres what 66 mph looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYVF5I2oIE

This guy is running a drag modded picco .28 p3 and has tried a lot of different gearing options. He said he could get another 1 or 2 mph with different gears.

That motor makes roughly 2.3 to 2.4 hp and hes topping out at 66 so It's gonna be tough to get that axial to 60 mph. Also just a thought... the drag mod from ab mods adds rpm so a drag modded picco would end turning about 40,000 with the right pipe.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
donkeymaxx

Well i got some parts in today including the engine. I did run into my first issue though. This is for all the people thinking about doing a big block on a small block car.

I ordered the revo spec slipper so i can run smaller spur gears, however traxxas spur gears are 0.8mm pitch. Big block clutch bells are 1.0mm pitch. Traxxas does make 1.0mm spur for a revo but the biggest they go are 40t. I know what you all are thinking "Why not run the stock clutch bell?" Well big block crank shafts are longer and the flywheel nuts are smaller. So here are my options.

1. Run a big block clutch bell setup and be stuck with a 40t spur gear. I want to run a 20t clutch bell, which i think i will burn the clutch up if i try to run a 20/40 gear set up.

2. Use the traxxas big block flywheel nut and clutch bell spacer. My 2 peg clutch my not hold up and the spacer looks cheesy.

Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61752.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1106557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75589.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1106558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48990.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1106559  
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
rcnitrohead

Wait, so how the heck are all the other Traxxas guys running big block conversions?

Quick shipping man, lets get wrenching[8D]
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
matts6887

Well i got some parts in today including the engine. I did run into my first issue though. This is for all the people thinking about doing a big block on a small block car.

I ordered the revo spec slipper so i can run smaller spur gears, however traxxas spur gears are 0.8mm pitch. Big block clutch bells are 1.0mm pitch. Traxxas does make 1.0mm spur for a revo but the biggest they go are 40t. I know what you all are thinking "Why not run the stock clutch bell?" Well big block crank shafts are longer and the flywheel nuts are smaller. So here are my options.

1. Run a big block clutch bell setup and be stuck with a 40t spur gear. I want to run a 20t clutch bell, which i think i will burn the clutch up if i try to run a 20/40 gear set up.

2. Use the traxxas big block flywheel nut and clutch bell spacer. My 2 peg clutch my not hold up and the spacer looks cheesy.

Here are some pics....
Well, despite the small "problems" u are running into; still, overall I would say it looks like u have a pretty sweet project going here. Dont forget, most projects of this nature and/or of almost any other nature can and a lot of times will have small problems like this that one may run into; so obviously keep at it man....
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Wait, so how the heck are all the other Traxxas guys running big block conversions?

You can either run the revo spur with the 3 shoe clutch or run one of these if you have the old tmaxx 2.5 tranny.... http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/372178.asp

1.0 pitch for big block clutbells
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
donkeymaxx

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

You can either run the revo spur with the 3 shoe clutch or run one of these if you have the old tmaxx 2.5 tranny.... http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/372178.asp

1.0 pitch for big block clutbells
To my understanding 32 pitch is not the same as 1.0mm. If its not exactly the same the teeth will eventually start eating each other.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
donkeymaxx

I think they do picco .26's which arent real big blocks. Just .26 pistons in a small block cases. Traxxas makes a big block kit for the revo just not the t-maxx.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM
rcnitrohead

Yeah thats fine, but tons of T-maxx guys and some 4Tec/Jato guys are running big blocks. The T-maxx dudes with conversions like you, and the latter with custom mounts/setups. Can you take a picture just to clarify what you mean? My understanding of pitch has always been the distance between teeth, are you sure they can't be used together? I guess if you want better info, you can check in the stadium truck forums for guys who have big block Jatos, and see how they are running their spur setups.

Tom.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
fabrimacator21

I beleive the revo 3.3's are 1.0 picth and the 2.5's are 8.0 mm pitch... so if you have a 3.3 your good, otherwise you need a mgt spur gear or one of these http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...5ik5ppisvgfiq7

I know a few guys are running 1.0mm pitch clutch bells and 8.0mm spurs gears. Apparently it will work for a little while but will eventually eat spurs and or clutchbells.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
donkeymaxx

i will take pictures as soon as i get everything in or next time i am at the shop.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
fabrimacator21

Here are some pics....
Are those the traxxas big bores? If so let me know how you like them.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
donkeymaxx

yeah they are big bores. I love them. This is my second set. I used to have alot of issues with the stock shocks and i have never had issues with these. The shock shafts are very strong.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
matts6887

yeah they are big bores. I love them. This is my second set. I used to have alot of issues with the stock shocks and i have never had issues with these. The shock shafts are very strong.
Indeed; they look like pretty cool shocks too!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
f0rb3s

Here are some pics....

dont worry about gears...
ask scotty i have made some gears, and they work great... just takes a lil time creativity
i had a 45 cb meshed with 52 spur... at one time... wasnr worth a crap for ratios.... but it can be done and it aint that big of a deal
Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
JLRevo

This is promising.....

I didnt read the whole post but this has to be cleared up. THat savage was on a Radar gun that was showing KPM not MPH
71KPM = 41MPH. Stock Revo 45MPH.
The youtube account is from Japan.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

That was cleared up at the top of this page
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
donkeymaxx

ORIGINAL: f0rb3s

Here are some pics....

dont worry about gears...
ask scotty i have made some gears, and they work great... just takes a lil time creativity
i had a 45 cb meshed with 52 spur... at one time... wasnr worth a crap for ratios.... but it can be done and it aint that big of a deal

Yeah thats what Scotty said. "We will make it work it just takes time" I WANT IT NOW!!!

Scotty doesnt think 20/40 will work. He thinks the truck will barley move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.