Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

My Project (60+ mph T-maxx) *Car Done*

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
donkeymaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Project (60+ mph T-maxx) *Car Done*

Since i finished one of my maxxes, I decided to start a new project. I am going to make a street maxx and my goal is to clock it over 60 mph. I got this idea because a guy that hangs out at the lhs has a jato that was clocked at 72. Here is the big block chassis from racers edge that i am going to use. It is significantly bigger than the stock chassis.

I need you alls help on deciding what engine to run. I think i can get it that fast with a 3.3 geared right. I have also thought about a OS 30VG if i need the power.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13279.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1103661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46003.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1103662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30884.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1103663  
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
FRENCHBLUE72

Default RE: My new project

Wow cant wait to see her blazeing down the road..
Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice thing you've got going on. First off, I'm pretty skeptical that you are going to get 60mph with a 3.3, and the O.S. 30VG is possibly one of the worst mills you can buy for that type of money. For an engine, go ahead and get a Picco .28 or Ninja/JPX/Jammin, whichever variant will fit. Most of those are bump start I think though. There is also the Nova 528 (I believe 5 or 8 port version?) which will be a big contender, the O.S. .28XZ is also a monster from the dyno charts and performance wise. I'd say get a Picco .28, that will be the cheapest and easiest way to reach your goal. Of course, you can also at that to the T-maxx 3 speed thats out there and go 65+ easy. It all depends on how much dough you are willing to roll out, Revomad from the Savage forums got 60mph with his Revo running a Picco .26 Max (Reg), but since you have a big block chassis, you might as well go for the big boys.

Tom.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
MMT GUNS

You could go XTM 457 engine those are a beast, I replace my .28 to this 457 engine and Wow! that's what I call a difference, I heard that the XTM 457 motor are faster or even better than the O.S 30 VG but thats up to you. the MMT monster truck is the heaviest monster truck out of the box out there and with this motor it feels like an RC10GT. just my two cents
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
fabrimacator21

either the .28 os xz or the picco p3 .28. Those are the top of the heap for power. They are both about 2 hp unmodded. Adam at ab mods has a 64 mph revo with a drag modded picco p3. If you play around with gearing and maybe a 3 speed tranny your looking at 70+mph. But why do you want a street maxx? Why not buy a jato or 4 tech that'll do 70 out of the box?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
donkeymaxx

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

either the .28 os xz or the picco p3 .28. Those are the top of the heap for power. They are both about 2 hp unmodded. Adam at ab mods has a 64 mph revo with a drag modded picco p3. If you play around with gearing and maybe a 3 speed tranny your looking at 70+mph. But why do you want a street maxx? Why not buy a jato or 4 tech that'll do 70 out of the box?
i really enjoy working on tmaxxes. I have a 4tec and a rustler that would be easy to go fast in but i think it would be cooler to see a MT hit 60+. I haven't heard of a 3 speed tranny for a maxx. I need to do some research. I am going to work on it at the LHS after work tomorrow and i will post more pics.

Would it be more beneficial for me to find a motor that revs high? Maybe a 18tz?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
fabrimacator21

The more power the better, just gear her high and watch her fly. Rpms are always good but a 2 hp motor will always have more top speed potential then a 1 hp motor.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
matts6887

Sounds like and looks like u got another sweet project in the works there man!!!; for power though; Imo; I have to side with one of the others that have mentioned the picco .28 is probably gonna be the least expensive way to go that I can think of at the moment as well...but there are the others that have already been mentioned out there as well IF u have the $ for them......
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
MMT GUNS

Fast good engine gobs of power and cheap -> http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146032.asp

XTM 457 Pro Truck 6 Port Engine .28ci w/ps
Check out this XTM 457 Pro Truck 6 Port Engine!

XTM Racing engines are designed for high power output and easy handling. The XTM 457 Pro Truck 6 Port Engine with Rear Exhaust features a dual ball bearing-supported SG-style crankshaft, true ABC piston and sleeve, two-needle slide carburetor, heat-dissipating cylinder head, pull-start assembly and superb attention to detail and quality. All XTM racing engines are manufactured using CNC manufacturing equipment to ensure every engine is produced to the exacting quality that you have come to expect from an engine of this caliber.

BUY NOW

Only $169.99
In Stock!

More Information About the 457 Pro Truck 6 Port Engine .28ci w/ps
ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Displacement 4.57cc
Bore: 18.5mm
Stroke: 17mm
Top RPM: 33,000rpm
Power: 3.8hp
Weight: 425g
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 PM
donkeymaxx

i was reading on how to break in a picco.28. By my understanding, you let the engine idle a tank and then just run it rich 2 tanks. Is that it, a 3 tank break in?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
donkeymaxx

After doing the research i am leaning towards the picco .28. But that xtm doesnt look bad at all. What mount would i use for the XTM?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM
rcnitrohead

No, absolutely not... A Picco or ANY of the engines I listed in my initial post (as well as fabricamator's posts) will take over a gallon to fully break in. You need to run them in (preferably heat cycle) for around 15 tanks before tuning for performance, after that they tend to wake up anywhere from a gallon to 2. These are not your typical Taiwanese engines, and should not be treated like so. The XTM 457 will not come close, that is an LRP Spec 2 SH variant, it is old technology and would be nice if we were back in 2004... If you want speed, you want the proper combination of torque/HP/ and RPM. The Italian .28s mentioned have been proven (especially by AB mods and Clockworks) to consistently outperform all other .28 engine platforms. Especially in a modified state, they are the most powerful engines on the market. A Picco .28 is your cheapest bet on getting the most power; remember, when you have massive torque and HP, you can gear up and get the RPM you need. Its all in the tuning combination.

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

After doing the research i am leaning towards the picco .28. But that xtm doesnt look bad at all. What mount would i use for the XTM?
Check with New Era models .com or give them a call -> http://neweramodels.com/
Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 AM
MMT GUNS

Not that I want to sound like an ass but It'll be cool to have more proof than word, almost every one I know they love the XTM 457 engine over anything compare as durability, price range, parts availability and performance. I'm not saying that the Italian Stallion are bad but in order of parts is something he has to look in to as well. but is all up to him.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
donkeymaxx

Yes this is going to be my first non traxxas engine so i am not familiar with break in. I am going to order the picco .28 after work today.

Do i just order the picco .26 maxx engine mount?

Is heat cycle just running it rich with short bursts of throttle?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
JLRevo

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

No, absolutely not... A Picco or ANY of the engines I listed in my initial post (as well as fabricamator's posts) will take over a gallon to fully break in. You need to run them in (preferably heat cycle) for around 15 tanks before tuning for performance, after that they tend to wake up anywhere from a gallon to 2. These are not your typical Taiwanese engines, and should not be treated like so. The XTM 457 will not come close, that is an LRP Spec 2 SH variant, it is old technology and would be nice if we were back in 2004... If you want speed, you want the proper combination of torque/HP/ and RPM. The Italian .28s mentioned have been proven (especially by AB mods and Clockworks) to consistently outperform all other .28 engine platforms. Especially in a modified state, they are the most powerful engines on the market. A Picco .28 is your cheapest bet on getting the most power; remember, when you have massive torque and HP, you can gear up and get the RPM you need. Its all in the tuning combination.

Tom.
+1 RcNitrohead listed the only real motors out there that are known to have the power to get pass 60 mph. The Picco your after, is the .28 FTT , the bump start one. It has a different port timing than the pull start and is a little better on the top end.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
donkeymaxx

After more research this is what i am debating....

1. The picco .28 looks like it has a different crankshaft that may cause issues. If anyone has more info on this please let me know.

2. The picco .26 jl red dot states that it is modded for more top end. (which is what i am gunning for)

3. Since i am going for top speed.... should i put an S-Maxx tranny for rwd only?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
JLRevo

I have a modded JL Reddot and I pretty sure it wont hit the speeds that a modded Picco .28 will on the top end. A Reddot has a liitle more top end than a standard Picco .26 Max The crank on the Picco .28 looks different because it its. Its a true big block so the crankshaft is longer. You'll need a BB clutch, flywheel and spur set up but you'll need to move the tranny forward to accomodate it. No 2wd. No-no. Just run the stock and do the big pin mod. According to Over_Revo you'll need foams to go over 62 mph and you'll need to reglue them almost constantly because they dont hold up to the speed. He stated to me ruber just wont get it done. The tire come off the rims . When the weather gets better I'll be heading down this route. Keep up posted on your progress.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
donkeymaxx

Wow..... this project/goal might take more time and money than i thought. Speaking of the weather, i asked that guy with the 71 mph jato "what is the key" and he said "The key is for it to be over 100 degrees outside." Here is a video where he was clocked at 71 and when they did a temp reading and his engine was at 238. The motor he used was an AB Modded 3.3.

We all met up yesterday and it was 35 degrees outside. We couldn't get it past 57 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjwzCeDUxY
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
matts6887

Well, as far as the break-in goes on a picco .28 or any other big block of this nature; Tom(rcnitrohead) is definitely right; it is going to take at least a full gallon or possibly even more of fuel to fully "wake-up" that engine; and it takes more than the usual number of break-in tanks that a small engine does because of the type of engine it is....either way good luck once u get ur new engine man!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
donkeymaxx

Thanks for everyones input. I am ordering the engine today and depending on what i can get quicker its going to be a jl red dot or a p3. 28. I will post pics of my progress.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: donkeymaxx

Thanks for everyones input. I am ordering the engine today and depending on what i can get quicker its going to be a jl red dot or a p3. 28. I will post pics of my progress.
Sweet!!! [8D]
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
rcnitrohead

Cool, good luck. I really doubt that even running a .26 RD you'd have enough traction with 2WD and rubbers. My Savage does some serious speed (don't have any official radar data but it should be close to 45-47mph) and it weighs under 11lbs according to a fishing scale, its is scary at WOT. There is barely any control, understandable as I have the suspension jacked up pretty high. Your T-maxx is going to need to be lowered with a lot of odds and ends to run properly.

Tom.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Cool, good luck. I really doubt that even running a .26 RD you'd have enough traction with 2WD and rubbers. My Savage does some serious speed (don't have any official radar data but it should be close to 45-47mph) and it weighs under 11lbs according to a fishing scale, its is scary at WOT. There is barely any control, understandable as I have the suspension jacked up pretty high. Your T-maxx is going to need to be lowered with a lot of odds and ends to run properly.

Tom.
not true.....the savage has a way higher centre of gravity thats why it handles like a brick with wheels.....I've owned 3 of the beast......only with massive mods to lower the COG can a savage ever handle like a maxx truck. Just set the arms perpindicular to the ground on a tmaxx.....perfect ride height for high speed runs
A few things I would suggest is to mount whatever body you decide to use as low as possible...leave the bumpers off.....cut no cooling holes in the widshield with the body mounted so low the engines cooling head will be sticking way out anyways......use lots of zip tie head protectors LOL.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
donkeymaxx

yeah.... i am trying to make the truck as light as possible however ready for a disaster. i will have new pics up tonight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.