Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

FRAM high performance filter for R/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM
MMT GUNS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRAM high performance filter for R/C

FRAM filters for Traxxas REVO and JATO are now in the lineup at Hi-Velocity. These filters have unbelievable performance gains, and reign supreme over traditional foam filters.

To begin scientifically testing filters, I use a specially designed flow bench calibrated for low CFM flows in the hobby industry. This flow bench is capable of measuring and graphing intake and exhaust CFM, inches of water, pressure per square inch, and air speed, as well as air sweeps, which is a custom design. The dyno is a custom-built machine, calibrated specially for hobby engines. All testing is performed by Gary Cornwell.

Bringing Technology to the Starting Line
The first test is to determine the intake airflow (or CFM) into the engine at max speed. An air horn has been built and calibrated to measure CFM from the intake side of the engine. The air horn is slightly larger than the carburetor, so as to not impede the air flow.

The test showed 7.1 CFM was flowing through the intake side of the engine at WOT on the dyno/air flow text.

Now that I have the correct CFM demand from the engine, I now have to check the CFM through the stock Traxxas filter. The flow bench is used for this test, by simply sealing up the filter on the flow bench test plate.

Clean TRX Filter

4 Lap Dirty TRX Filter

The stock filter flows 3.2 CFL new and clean. After 4 laps on a dirt track and a ¼ tank of fuel, the filter flowed 2.6 CFM.

Something interesting happened during testing, because the filter stayed in front of me during the test. I was able to see the sponge start to compress, due to the dirt and oil on the outer surface. As I continued with the testing, I found that the dirty filter curve was expediential. That restriction accounts for a great deal of unnecessary, continuous fuel adjustments.

I tested one of the industries' leading filters, and found it to flow 5.4 CFM, which is a considerable improvement over stock.

The FRAM filter model number HVF20 from Hi-Velocity Technology flows 13.8 CFM, and filters 20 micron particlesbasically, smoke won't even get through it.

The filter is chemically treated, and when unfolded, stretches to 27 inches long. That accounts for the high CFM flow.

FRAM Filter on
Traxxas Inlet Tube
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FRAM high performance filter for R/C

Very interesting Brother, very interesting.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 PM
CBLS6
My Feedback: (3)

Does the filter need the same after run cleaning and maintenance?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
cmerritt

is there one for the maxx? i may want to get one and test it out. how much are they?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm interesting... I aways thought fram made crap.

Do they make one for 1/8th big blocks?

What ever you do don't get a k and n. They flow and ton of air but don't filter.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
superman11

We need links brother!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Sugafree

Ya really Shouldn't use those or the K&N Paper Style Filter on RC's.......(Only takes a Small amount of Dust to kill the Piston and sleeve)

If you want a Good Filter check out the New Motorsaver Filters, http://www.motorsaver.com/truck.htm

Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
cmerritt

motorsavers are awesome. they actually picked me to test the new filters from the thread they posted a couple weeks ago, got my filters and im gonna compare them to the older one and see if there is an improvement.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
fabrimacator21

If it filters 20 microns then why not? I was just saying the k and n 1:1 filters and rc filters are junk... they make power but don't filter.

The only downside of a paper filter is if it gets wet your screwed.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
quadracer111

I was also picked to test their filters. Just got them today (im from Canada). They sent me one for my traxxas revo and one for my savage and two extra filters. K&N style are not to good for rc... The new motorsaver really looks promising! On the revo the neck tube comes really close to the spur gear though...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
leroycool1

how do i get on that list??

i will give motorsaver a try
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

I was also picked to test their filters. Just got them today (im from Canada). They sent me one for my traxxas revo and one for my savage and two extra filters. K&N style are not to good for rc... The new motorsaver really looks promising! On the revo the neck tube comes really close to the spur gear though...
ya the clearance on the maxx is good. i also got 2 complete filters and replacement foams. the filter hanger is a nice touch for the maxx. i can't run my trucks now though because it's gonna be in the single digits outside and i know i can run my truck outside but i don't wanna stand outside when it's that cold, so a review will be coming soon.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
vader2728

I got mine the other day too... FREEBIE! C if its gonna be cold down at Chapel Hill, imagine up here in the mountains... No go for this bro...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: vader2728

I got mine the other day too... FREEBIE! C if its gonna be cold down at Chapel Hill, imagine up here in the mountains... No go for this bro...
haha ya. i'm fine with cold as long as there's snow. but if no snow then i hate the cold!

@leroycool1- the motorsaver testing was a couple weeks ago. i dont think they are taking any more people. sorry man.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 AM
StemTMAXX

if FRAM's RC Filters are as good as there Oil Filters, there total frikkin CRAP!!

MOTORSAVER ALL THE WAY!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM
CBLS6
My Feedback: (3)

Where can these be bought?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 AM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: CBLS6

Where can these be bought?
If your asking about the Motorsavers they are Linked in blue above, and here now here http://www.motorsaver.com/
Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
MMT GUNS

Guy's guy's this is not a filter debate, I just saw this interesting and I just wanted to share it with you, Fram RC filter is new to the market, wy not give it a try? if this is not enough ( The FRAM filter model number HVF20 from Hi-Velocity Technology flows 13.8 CFM, and filters 20 micron particles-basically, smoke won't even get through it. ) I don't know what then. [:-]

Here how to order the Fram filters

http://www.vortice-br.com/index.html
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
quadracer111

Because i do not want to wreck my $250 engine... I would rather stick to something tried and true..
Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
quadracer111

Because i do not want to wreck my $250 engine... I would rather stick to something tried and true..
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
MMT GUNS

you can say that about RB Innovations cone filters or any cone imitators alike, but wen a legendary a company thats been around in NASCAR for some quite time and asure you 20 microns filter specialty design for REVO and JATO that is something to look at, don't you think? I mean 20 micron? how many micron your filter could handle?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
rcnitrohead

Its the same deal with K&N, their filters are supposedly top in full scale, yet don't do shanks for us. These Fram filters are not new! They have been around for 2 years+. I will not comment on their actual performance since I haven't owned one but I'd be a little skeptical about running a piece of cardboard as my filter!

On another note, I was also chosen to give MotorSaver's new 2009 filter a whirl, and it looks constructed great! I just tested today in the snow, seems to repel water well but I can't say anything substantial about performance cause I just opened a new gallon of Traxxas Power Plus (which sucks *$#(*$(#*(%@#% *@%#), I only bought it cause the LHS guy said it has 11% oil and I thought it couldn't be too horrible. I was wrong, at least I saved $11 over O'Donnell's...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
MMT GUNS

I never heard about K&N making a filter for RC cars or I'm I wrong? I mean you can't just judge a book by it's cover, I won't get this filter for now cause I have others still in the package that I can still use but I will put this filter in my wish list for this summer.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
rcnitrohead

Probably gonna get deleted, but for your sake..

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-N-AIR-FILTER-TRAXXAS-TMAXX-REVO-JATO-TRX-4TEC_W0QQitemZ350125661906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item350125661906&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

They've been at it for years.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Probably gonna get deleted, but for your sake..

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-N-AIR-FILTER-TRAXXAS-TMAXX-REVO-JATO-TRX-4TEC_W0QQitemZ350125661906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item350125661906&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

They've been at it for years.
yup K&N rc filters have been around for a while!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.