Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

WOT bogs from a standstill

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM
CBLS6
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT bogs from a standstill

Im sure it has to be a tuning issue, of which I am new to, so I figured I would ask you guys.

The truck can run at WOT fine, but if I hit the gas hard from a standstill the truck bogs and stalls. Any ideas?

ALSO.. my freaking EZ start just makes a whizzing sound now when I try to start the truck. I am assuming the gears on the inside are screwed. How many of you folks have switched to the pull start and if so, how do you like it?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 PM
CBLS6
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: WOT bogs from a standstill

double post
Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ez start is junk not to mention the added weight of an electric motor. Get yourself a good roto start or tiger drive. Pullstart is better then EZ start but you'll still break strings.

Sounds like your too lean on the highspeed needle. Richen the highspeed up a 1/4 turn to be safe. You should see plenty of smoke when you pull the trigger.

Search for tuning guide for more info.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

To rich or two lean on lsn, do the pinch test and then tune accordingly, look up trx 3.3 rotostart backplate on ebay. Then buy a hpi rotostart thing. Its your owb (one way bearing) that is not catching the starting shaft.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 AM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

To rich or two lean on lsn, do the pinch test and then tune accordingly, look up trx 3.3 rotostart backplate on ebay. Then buy a hpi rotostart thing. Its your owb (one way bearing) that is not catching the starting shaft.
No, it's not the Low speed...

the pinch test is for the low speed needle, which only controls the fuel from 0 to 1/2 throttle. Bogging of the line at WOT is a highspeed needle problem.

If you do decide to go with the rotostart you can also use an electric drill instead of spending 35 bucks for OFNA's starter. Just make sure that you have a clutch system on your drill, otherwise you can bend connecting rods when hydro-locked.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 AM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: CBLS6

Im sure it has to be a tuning issue, of which I am new to, so I figured I would ask you guys.

The truck can run at WOT fine, but if I hit the gas hard from a standstill the truck bogs and stalls. Any ideas?

ALSO.. my freaking EZ start just makes a whizzing sound now when I try to start the truck. I am assuming the gears on the inside are screwed. How many of you folks have switched to the pull start and if so, how do you like it?
pull the backplate off and clean out all the old gunny fuel and oil deposits off of it and the OWB with some brake cleaner....re installl and it should be fine.....I put a small hole in my rotostart backplate right next to the OWB and when needed I insert a WD-40 straw in and give a couple good shots of brake cleaner into it.....This usually blasts out all the fuel and oil and keeps the OWB clean and working.

yes it is slightly out of tune.......go 1/8th turn lean on the HSN....after it is warmed up of course......if the problem gets worse then you know to go the other way...if it gets better well carry on.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

the pinch test is for the low speed needle, which only controls the fuel from 0 to 1/2 throttle. Bogging of the line at WOT is a highspeed needle problem.

If you do decide to go with the rotostart you can also use an electric drill instead of spending 35 bucks for OFNA's starter. Just make sure that you have a clutch system on your drill, otherwise you can bend connecting rods when hydro-locked.
I stand corrected! I just figured because in the hpi manual for my savvy xl it says to do off the line full throttle punches and if it bogs lean it, and if it bogs up down up down richen it. Thats how i tune my low end. I tune my low end for best off the line punch by slowly leaning it and it works for me. Thats why i figured its the lsn.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

I have to side with fab here on the high speed needle thing; it sounds like the high speed needle is definitely either too rich or too lean. But the easiest way I know of to try and fix that is to re-set the needles to default settings and re-tune from there....good luck with it man.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
revo-nation

EZ start is JUNK. Too many wires not enough power! I have an OFNA back plate with ROTO start wand and I have never looked back. My buddy has pull starter and he is over there jerking his truck like crazy and he has a bloody knuckle from bashing it on the head and zip ties. Trust me when I say go with a roto start and a backplate.