Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cut it
16.00%
Don't cut it
68.00%
Run the pipe on the outside of the box
16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

To cut or not to cut... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To cut or not to cut... Pics

Finally got the header for my maxx today but ran into a problem. I'm thinking I'm gonna take a dremel to it and shorten the header but I'm worried about the pipe angle and a good seal.

What do you think? I can't afford another pipe and probably wouldn't get much for the old one. Is there a way around cutting and using the same header and pipe? I don't know what other header would fit. This is the stock savage header. I've looked at different headers and the only one that I can get to fit is the savage header or the ones that come with a pipe(don't want to buy a pipe)

The black mark on the header is where I would have to cut it to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40577.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1129021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15945.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1129022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29133.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1129023  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 PM
matts6887

Default RE: To cut or not to cut... Pics

Well, unless there is some other way "around" it to get it to fit properly; then it seems to me as if u may very well have to cut the pipe with the good ole dremel in order to get it to fit properly.......
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
RCCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

move that radio box and the length won't be an issue

I wouldn't cut it until you run it first.....it may be perfect the way it is.....check into tuning with pipe/header lengths its actually interesting
Old 02-06-2009, 09:22 PM
ChaosEngine

can you buy a new rx box, or relocate the old one? looking at where you marked it, i think it might be too short to get a good positive seal.. on a second look, you might have to make a new hanger for the pipe to hang on. how much manifold did the pipe grab where you marked it? i would try and leave about 2 zipties worth of length on the manifold to give the coupler some room to flex and slide with the vehicle. unless thats one of those chassis that dont flex, like the one with the truck parked on it heheh.

edit:

ahh took to long to post, mr canuck beat me to it
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
fabrimacator21

Where could I put the receiver box? Not many options because of the FLM chassis.

I could aslo run it with the pipe hanging outside of the receiver box which is looking like the best way to go right now. went to take pics of it outsite the rx and my camera died.[&o]
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
gonzobot

why not use it like it is in the pic, above the radio box. just find a way to keep it from moving around
Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: gonzobot

why not use it like it is in the pic, above the radio box. just find a way to keep it from moving around

Might sound kinda stupid but I'm trying to make this thing handle as well as possible and want to keep all the weight nice and low.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

Might sound kinda stupid but I'm trying to make this thing handle as well as possible and want to keep all the weight nice and low.

oh ok. btw that pipe is huge sould scream on the top end
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM
rcdudegermy10

move the radio box, dont cut the header!!!

cutting the header is permanemt, moving the box isnt
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
fabrimacator21

LOL I know the thing is huge... I figured with the BB chassis it would fit but it's not even close. It's from MIP. Don't really know how it compares to the 053 or 086 but it made my old picco .26 maxx scream.

I don't think I'm gonna cut it... but where can I move the box?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
rcdudegermy10

not to mention the pipe gets extremely hot...wouldnt want to melt the radio box of the expensive stuff inside it!!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM
fabrimacator21

I'm planning on buying a hump pack that will mount to the front shock tower pretty soon so that will give me a place to put the receiver box. In the mean time I think I can get away with running it on the outside of the rx box. Just need to fab up a new hanger to space it away from the rx box. I did run this pipe when I had my .26 maxx and the "nipple" on the end of the pipe for the hanger mount was hitting the box and never melted it. However with the pipe itself directly contacting it I wouldn't be suprised if it melted.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: rcdudegermy10

not to mention the pipe gets extremely hot...wouldnt want to melt the radio box of the expensive stuff inside it!!

the pipe doesnt get as hot as you might think thx to the low burning temp of methanol after all look at the stock t-maxx pipe (plastic)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

Could you move your rx box infrot of your fuel tank?? Or just run it on the side of your rx box
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
superman11

the pipe doesnt get as hot as you might think thx to the low burning temp of methanol after all look at the stock t-maxx pipe (plastic)
I can tell that you dont have an aftermarket pipe, my THS pipe gets just as hot as the engine, 250 degrees is hot, although it might not melt the plastic
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

Could you move your rx box infrot of your fuel tank?? Or just run it on the side of your rx box

It's really close to working there but since the flm chassis has holes all over it there is only a bolt patter for mounting a throttle servo.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: superman11

I can tell that you dont have an aftermarket pipe, my THS pipe gets just as hot as the engine, 250 degrees is hot, although it might not melt the plastic

Huh, tell me about it... I had a hell of a blister from pushing the pipe back on the header when running.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 PM
gonzobot

i didnt say they they dont heat up i just said i doubt they would hit melting temp of the radio box but if it was a gasoline engine, say good bye to any plastic incontact with the exhaust
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 PM
RCCanuck

I would look for a smaller radio box or just make one out of thick lexan to suit.....the 2.5 radio boxes are quite large..depending on which radio you run you could reduce the size of the box enough to clear that pipe.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
quadracer111

This is off topic but i think i have a dirty mind, *insert bevis and butthead laugh here* i love the thread title *bevis and butthead laugh*
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
fabrimacator21

The radio is stock so the reciever is about the same size as the box but a little shorter.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 AM
RCCanuck

The radio is stock so the reciever is about the same size as the box but a little shorter.
might be time for an upgrade man.....the specktrum reciever is about 1/3 the size of the stock Traxxas reciever.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 AM
quadracer111

Depends if he has the traxxas micro rx, thats the one my revo came with
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Montana Mike

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutting the header would ruin the header as well as not give you a good solid and secure connection with the coupler. I would not cut it just improvise. FullForceRC makes a Carbon Fiber Radio Tray that will allow you to mount a battery under the Receiver tray. Mount this tray in the original Battery position. Redrill your antenna hole in your lid and mounting holes for the tray in the battery box area. Have your battery as well as your receiver there and problem solved

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33218.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1129482  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
superman11

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.