Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Racing Tips for Monster Trucks?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Soppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Racing Tips for Monster Trucks?

Thats what I meant by preset, it is all the way back. I guess I may need to bust out the P1 rockers. What else will that effect?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Mr.SelfDestruct

How do you guys go about turns? Do you brake hard into the turn and use the brakes to slide around it and then gas it? Cause that's what I've been doing and I can get around corners decently fast.

How do you guys do it?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

You know, I haven't raced in years...I rarely braked at all, I would decelerate into a turn then punch it through and tear ass around the corners. Sway/anti-roll bars are awesome.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mr.SelfDestruct

How do you guys go about turns? Do you brake hard into the turn and use the brakes to slide around it and then gas it? Cause that's what I've been doing and I can get around corners decently fast.

How do you guys do it?
I like to tap the brake to get the ass end around and blip the throttle as needed to keep it pointed. Depends on your tires and track surface though. Now that I'm running a BB I have to do most of the steering with the throttle since theres almost always little to know weight on the front which causes a push through corners on acceleration.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Whats a BB?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Block.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Oh, I knew that lol
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
madbrad70

ORIGINAL: Mr.SelfDestruct

What's up with these? Very cheap and only a little less powerful than the HPI one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-MG995-11KG-Metal-Gear-Servo-High-Torque-Futaba-US_W0QQitemZ300292373805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_C ontrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item300292373805&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
I used this servo all last season in my Revo and it worked great. We run on a 1/10 scale track becuase the 1/8 is not finished yet and I was able to make all the tight turns with no problem.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Straick

I occasionaly have raced my Revo. P2 rockers, 35w shock oil front and back, piston 2 front, piston 3 rear, orange springs front, gold springs rear, for spacers in front of upper front a-arm for 15 degrees of caster. Toe in and camber are both eyeballed. Also running a center diff(limit wheelies), rear axle brake, and aftermarket radio gear.
I set the rear brake to hit first and the front to only catch after half of the brake throw so that I can drift it through tight hairpins(4 of them on the track I go to). Go in fast, slam the brake enough to let the rear slip around the corner(just like drifting a fullsizer). Let of the brake and start hitting the gas as soon as I'm lined up again. To help in the throttle response, I did a throttle linkage setup very similiar to the one that is used on the Traxxas 4-Tec(no heavy TRS to fight to open the throttle, which slows down throttle response).

And as has been said, the best help is practice, practice, practice. The setup I run works for me, but it may or may not work for someone else. The best drivers can win races based on skill. The worst ones can't win unless they get lucky, even if they have the hottest, best setup possible for the track.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Thanks for your input. Everyone is correct when they say practice. I've been practicing everyday I can, tomorrow is the race and today it is raining so I'm going to be a little rusty tomorrow. I do think I can do well though, because just in the month I've had my truck, I've decreased my lap times by almost double! SO I"m doing a lot better with practice!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Straick

I occasionaly have raced my Revo. P2 rockers, 35w shock oil front and back, piston 2 front, piston 3 rear, orange springs front, gold springs rear, for spacers in front of upper front a-arm for 15 degrees of caster. Toe in and camber are both eyeballed. Also running a center diff(limit wheelies), rear axle brake, and aftermarket radio gear.
I set the rear brake to hit first and the front to only catch after half of the brake throw so that I can drift it through tight hairpins(4 of them on the track I go to). Go in fast, slam the brake enough to let the rear slip around the corner(just like drifting a fullsizer). Let of the brake and start hitting the gas as soon as I'm lined up again. To help in the throttle response, I did a throttle linkage setup very similiar to the one that is used on the Traxxas 4-Tec(no heavy TRS to fight to open the throttle, which slows down throttle response).

And as has been said, the best help is practice, practice, practice. The setup I run works for me, but it may or may not work for someone else. The best drivers can win races based on skill. The worst ones can't win unless they get lucky, even if they have the hottest, best setup possible for the track.
Sadly, That is me. I tend to stubbornly want to do things MY way and get tunnel vision.