Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

best basher

Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best basher

hi
i just sold my nitro firestorm to get a 4x4 monster truck
which one would be the best in your opinion ? for bashing , i dont race
im looking to buy used
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Default RE: best basher

T-Maxx 3.3 is great for bashing. Parts are so easy to find in LHS's. I almost got a Savage but people at my LHS said to get a T-Maxx cause the Savage is a pain in the a** to repair and usually (at less for both my hobby shops) parts have to be ordered.

Of course you have more to choose from than the Savage or T-Maxx, such as the MGT and LST etc. But I still think the T-Maxx 3.3 is a great buy, not just because I own one but because I've been able to repair parts the day I break them rather than repairing them a week after they are shipped through the mail.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

Savage xl!! Or a savage x4.6 if you can get one. Great great truck! I have a savage xl, i think the savage is very very easy to work on! Get a savage! Best for bashing
Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

yeah im thinking savage but there expensive thats why im looking at the tmaxx too
but for durability between t-maxx and savage wich one wins ?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Depends on what you're really wanting. Revo is a great platform for performance. T-maxx is great for adding parts to the chassis. If you want something just fast and easy to repair/maintain then I'd suggest a T-maxx. If you're wanting to tear it up at a rock quarry with a lot of different terrain, or a hilly area, bike trails...etc, then go for a Revo.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

I can't answer that because I don't have a Savage. But no matter what you choose, something will break, and the T-maxx has great aftermarket and stock parts available.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mr.SelfDestruct

I can't answer that because I don't have a Savage. But no matter what you choose, something will break, and the T-maxx has great aftermarket and stock parts available.
Very true. Added bonus is the T-maxx is much more straightforward in design, you can diagnose problems easier and repair things quicker.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

aftershock, its cheap and bullet proof
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
twomanytoys

Aftershock is very tough. Great truck and its cheap.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say either the savage(either the 4.6 or the xl 5.9) and the revo are GREAT trucks for bashing, extremely durable, and can most definitely take quite a bit of abuse.....
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 PM
scarletboa

the savage x 4.6 is more powerful than the xl. ask just about anyone in the hpi monster truck forums.

the x 4.6 can be had for under $400 on e-bay and it is the toughest RC truck out there. it is very easy to work on. if you needed to access a diff. on a t-maxx, it would take at least an hour or two to get to the diff.

for a savage, just remoe 6 screws and boom, there's the diff.

the savage engine will have much more power, will last longer, and will be easier to tune than any traxxas or other hpi engine. the t-maxx 3.3 will wheely if tuned right and you do it from a dead stop. my savage will wheely in 2nd gear with no problem whether it is tuned well or not.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

the savage x 4.6 is more powerful than the xl. ask just about anyone in the hpi monster truck forums.

the x 4.6 can be had for under $400 on e-bay and it is the toughest RC truck out there. it is very easy to work on. if you needed to access a diff. on a t-maxx, it would take at least an hour or two to get to the diff.

for a savage, just remoe 6 screws and boom, there's the diff.

the savage engine will have much more power, will last longer, and will be easier to tune than any traxxas or other hpi engine. the t-maxx 3.3 will wheely if tuned right and you do it from a dead stop. my savage will wheely in 2nd gear with no problem whether it is tuned well or not.
I'd hate to have you be my mechanic... I'd already have the thing rebuilt by the time you had the diffs out.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
fabrimacator21

+1... I can swap diffs in 10-15 mins... Only reason I swapped was to go from locked rear end to open and vice versa. People keep saying the savage is easier to work on then the tmaxx but I can change a spur gear in 4 mins, have the tranny out in 10 mins, etc.

The tmaxx is a great truck. Mine has given me years of hard running and enjoyment. Never really had major gripes with it. It will break just like any other truck but you can't compare 1/8th scale to 1:10. The tmaxx will handle better then the savage because of less weight. The savage is more durable because of the extra weight (2-3 lbs).

Parts are always on hand with the tmaxx. Like selfdestruct said you'll get tired of waiting on parts if your local hobby shop doesn't carry alot of hpi savage stuff.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

Yeah, people will claim the Savage is easier to work on because their stuck owning it :P But honestly, jokes aside... I talked to both my local hobby shops and they both said the Savage is a pain in the ass to work on. The LHS are the ones working on the trucks all the time, I believe them. Plus, I already owned my truck (bought it from somewhere else) so why would they lie to me... to sell me something I already own?

Plus, neither of them carry parts for the Savage. 3 LHS's within 40 miles that I know of, and they all carry PLENTY of T-Maxx aftermarket and stock parts, but no Savage parts.

But I mean, that doesn't mean the Savage is a BAD truck. A year ago I was set on buying the XL, changed my mind and bought the T-Maxx though.

Anyways, whatever you choose, let us know!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing i have against the tmaxx is the weak bulkheads, my buddy is CONSTANTLY replacing them. Id say aftershock or savage. Revo if you want traxxas.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 PM
rcnitrohead

Both of my LHSs have employees that can barely figure out what is the proper way to turn a screw driver or biased son of a guns, so I take all their advice with a grain of salt. I followed some of their advice in my first 2 years in this hobby and ended up wasting lots of money. I own both a Maxx and Savage, and have run with numerous others excluding the Losi and MGT.

First, check what your LHS supports. Then, decide based on this what you'd like to own. My experience with my T-maxx owning it 6 years has been a long and tiring path. I've replaced 80% of the truck solely because of part failures, and I don't even bash it half as hard as I do on my Savage. All trucks WILL ultimately break, but I've encountered that the T-maxx bulkhead/skid mount design is extremely inferior to that of the Savage; and there are just too many areas that have consistently broken with use. Just look at the parts the trucks are built out of, a skid on the Savage is twice as thick and the screws are as well. I have enjoyed every moment of owning my Savage, I've spent maybe $40 repairing my Savage from my parts breakages while spending over $600 in replacement/ upgrade parts to replace/enhance durability issues.

Many like the Losi series of trucks, and they are great quality so thats a definite green light. MGTs are also tough as nails and are really fun trucks. If you decide on Traxxas, then choose the Revo. Its just built so much better, there is no reason to waste money on a platform that was successful 10 years ago when you can have top of the line tech in a more durable and higher performing package for a similar price.

Tom.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Both of my LHSs have employees that can barely figure out what is the proper way to turn a screw driver or biased son of a guns, so I take all their advice with a grain of salt. I followed some of their advice in my first 2 years in this hobby and ended up wasting lots of money. I own both a Maxx and Savage, and have run with numerous others excluding the Losi and MGT.

First, check what your LHS supports. Then, decide based on this what you'd like to own. My experience with my T-maxx owning it 6 years has been a long and tiring path. I've replaced 80% of the truck solely because of part failures, and I don't even bash it half as hard as I do on my Savage. All trucks WILL ultimately break, but I've encountered that the T-maxx bulkhead/skid mount design is extremely inferior to that of the Savage; and there are just too many areas that have consistently broken with use. Just look at the parts the trucks are built out of, a skid on the Savage is twice as thick and the screws are as well. I have enjoyed every moment of owning my Savage, I've spent maybe $40 repairing my Savage from my parts breakages while spending over $600 in replacement/ upgrade parts to replace/enhance durability issues.

Many like the Losi series of trucks, and they are great quality so thats a definite green light. MGTs are also tough as nails and are really fun trucks. If you decide on Traxxas, then choose the Revo. Its just built so much better, there is no reason to waste money on a platform that was successful 10 years ago when you can have top of the line tech in a more durable and higher performing package for a similar price.

Tom.
definitely +1 here!!!; especially the part about the revo; the revo imo not just because I too have a revo; but from both what I have seen and heard and read, either one of the savages's or the revo would be a good choice I believe because of what they both have to offer in terms of overall durability, toughness, reliability, etc.; but ultimately, its up to u to figure out which one is going to best suit ur needs/wants, etc. Also, Tom is right about the Losi series of trucks, as Losi too does make excellent stuff as well, and any they have a new truck coming out thats not quite out yet that might be something for u to consider(well doing a little research on it before hand of course)....either way good luck in deciding man!!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
quadracer111

The savage is more durable in most cases than the maxx
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 AM
leroycool1

^^ the savage needs a HUGE motor just to keep up with a small block in a revo LOL LOL

i have a revo with a picco and EVERYONE i have run my truck with will just go [X(][X(] then they dont want to race

i would say revo bash it then go race if you want all with the same truck
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 AM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

I just dont like the t-maxx, i dont know why?? Just seems cheap? The savvy has alum where it needs it, plastic in the right places, to access the diffs is just 5-6 screws! And the engine is 100000x better than the trx 3.3 imo. The 3.3 sucks, who would put a small block in a monster truck anyway? The savage wins in the durability and engine department, im not sure whats left in the basher department. The k5.9 engine is HUGE! Very sweet engine, it keeps up when my revo had the 3.3 in it and it wasnt even tuned good.
Savage wins!
although I agree for bashing you can't beat a Savage with a stick.....but some of the comments here are just eronious in many ways.

first: small block vs big block.....as they say there is no replacement for displacement but having run many gallons thorugh both types of engines I prefer the small block for 1/10th scale models ie: REVO Tmaxx they are designed to run on small blocks and thats where they shine.

The Savage is by far the worst RC to work on I hate working on it.....the X models are somewhat better but still same TVP design that I don't like.....
Next the 5.9 is a turd of an engine and in my opinion no better and no worse than any TRX engine...they are just RTR engines............just ask any XL owner tha has experience with non RTR engines.

Any of my Maxx's out handle any Savage I've ever owned or driven.
Savages wheely very easy because they have a very high centre of gravity...they also roll over if you even whisper the words "Sharp Turn"....wheelies are kewl for about 5 minutes LOL but I'd rather see the rear squat and the truck just take off like a rocket.

I will say one final thing all RC's will break no matter which brand....yes even the Savage. I've bent TVPs blown several diffs, broken drive shafts, broken bulkheads and diff carriers,,,engine plates,,,tranny gears ect,,ect.

It all boils down to personnel prefferance thats it.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 AM
Mr.SelfDestruct

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: quadracer111

I just dont like the t-maxx, i dont know why?? Just seems cheap? The savvy has alum where it needs it, plastic in the right places, to access the diffs is just 5-6 screws! And the engine is 100000x better than the trx 3.3 imo. The 3.3 sucks, who would put a small block in a monster truck anyway? The savage wins in the durability and engine department, im not sure whats left in the basher department. The k5.9 engine is HUGE! Very sweet engine, it keeps up when my revo had the 3.3 in it and it wasnt even tuned good.
Savage wins!
although I agree for bashing you can't beat a Savage with a stick.....but some of the comments here are just eronious in many ways.

first: small block vs big block.....as they say there is no replacement for displacement but having run many gallons thorugh both types of engines I prefer the small block for 1/10th scale models ie: REVO Tmaxx they are designed to run on small blocks and thats where they shine.

The Savage is by far the worst RC to work on I hate working on it.....the X models are somewhat better but still same TVP design that I don't like.....
Next the 5.9 is a turd of an engine and in my opinion no better and no worse than any TRX engine...they are just RTR engines............just ask any XL owner tha has experience with non RTR engines.

Any of my Maxx's out handle any Savage I've ever owned or driven.
Savages wheely very easy because they have a very high centre of gravity...they also roll over if you even whisper the words "Sharp Turn"....wheelies are kewl for about 5 minutes LOL but I'd rather see the rear squat and the truck just take off like a rocket.

I will say one final thing all RC's will break no matter which brand....yes even the Savage. I've bent TVPs blown several diffs, broken drive shafts, broken bulkheads and diff carriers,,,engine plates,,,tranny gears ect,,ect.

It all boils down to personnel prefferance thats it.
Nicely put. All personal preference!

Now figure out what you want and go buy it and join the fun
Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: t-max97

aftershock, its cheap and bullet proof
+1 hard to beat a Aftershock for price and durability.A t-maxx doesn't even compare[:'(]Go with the shock you will be happy that you did.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
quadracer111

Get a savage, revo, aftershock or t-maxx.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

ok thanks for fast reply
i find a revo 3.3 for 250$CND 1/2 gallon used looks pretty new im going to check it out this afternoon
i would prefer a savage simply because it looks stronger with its TVP but i cant find a good deal around here
one of my friend had a revo and he told me he loved it but he quit this hobby and already sold it to the pawnshop for 200$
anyways ill tell you what i will be buying

thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

ok the guy with the revo didnt answer me when i was ready to go see it so i went to see a team losi aftershock
it only have been breaking-in i got it for 300$CND with a 90% full galon of fuel,rotostart,charger,spare parts,radio with lcd display,brand new body,temp gun, 2 spare used engines, 2 rechargebel glow igniter etc ......
it start with two pull of the roto
im very happy with my purchase

thanks for telling me to buy this !

heres some pics side by side with my girlfriend's rustler,,, its huge !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33183.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1135297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61088.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1135298  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.