Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Beach/Dunes

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Dsyyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach/Dunes

I'll be taking my t-maxx to the beach during spring break. I ant to know how to prepare for the beach, clean after running on it, and other tips. Thank
Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
superman11
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beach/Dunes

Waterproof your truck, so if you get near the water it will not be a problem... Also buy baby socks to put over the air filter to protect against the fine sand
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Running at the beach is a lot of fun but if you have unsilled bearings they will need replacing after you are done. If your air cleaner is not hard mounted tie wrap a piece of panty hose around the air filter and carb neck so that you cant loose it in a wreck. Any sand in the carb and your engine is toast. If you don't have paddle tires get some they will make the experience one to remember.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ArloRogers

Running at the beach is a lot of fun but if you have unsilled bearings they will need replacing after you are done. If your air cleaner is not hard mounted tie wrap a piece of panty hose around the air filter and carb neck so that you cant loose it in a wreck. Any sand in the carb and your engine is toast. If you don't have paddle tires get some they will make the experience one to remember.
+1!!!; also, remember to get any sand out of the bearings when u are done by blasting it out with compressed air and the like...because otherwise like arlo mentioned; u may need to replace them because the sand can mess everything up if ur not careful....
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

In the new rc car action it shows how to sand prep your rc.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Dsyyke

anything else?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 AM
fabrimacator21

Some beer... and your good!

Oh yeah, don't forget to run it next to some beach honey's! LOL.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
keithinspace

Here are some pictures my wife took when we went to Ocracoke a couple years ago...at this point, my truck was about 9 months old with a fresh Picco MAX and about half my current upgrades.

And yes, my wife can handle a camera quite well...

Some recommendations:

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT QUESTION NEVER, EVER, EVER GET YOUR TRUCK ANYWHERE NEAR SALTWATER. Waterproofed or not, it will destroy everything. Saltwater is HATEFUL on copper, steel, and bearings. Not to mention that, unless it is DEAD STILL, any water you encounter will probably have sand agitated in it which will kill any moving parts it encounters.

As you can see from the pictures, sand gets packed everywhere inside the truck. I didn't have a center diff and was going through spur gears like bubble gum, and this day was no different. I ran for about 3/4 of a tank and the truck started slowing significantly. Kept driving and it eventually stopped. Melted the spur down to mush. I figure sand got in all the driveshafts and put so much resistance into the drivetrain that it eventually just crapped itself. Sand was packed EVERYWHERE.

When you get the truck home DO NOT take the air filter off. Guaranteed, a grain of sand will get into the intake trumpet. Then it'll get into the engine. Then it'll score your cylinder. Then your engine is wrecked. Be very, very careful about how you handle your car/engine until you get all the sand off. Best thing is probably to not touch anything until it cools, then just remove the engine, air filter and all. That way you can control where the sand falls.

Even though I ran my truck on dry sand WELL away from any type of moisture or water, the MIP steel driveshafts still rusted. As did all the stock pushrods. It was because of this single trip to the beach that I bought the TRX hollow pushrods...hated rust on my truck.

It was fun for about 5 minutes, but I doubt I'll ever take my truck to the beach again. It was a real pain in the butt, fraught with real danger of ruining my engine and screwing up my car.

I go to the Outer Banks at least 3 times a year and regularly drive my 1:1 truck on the beach. Every time, I see some yahoo in a Jeep driving in the surf, splashing in the saltwater. Idiots. Saltwater kills stuff...that's just how it is.

Just thought I'd share my experience. But hey, out of these 5 minutes of fun and 5 hours of hell and ~$200 fixing it (all new shafts, all new pushrods, new gears, new clutch, new slipper, and 2 cans of cleaner spray), I got these GREAT pictures!!!

Have fun! And yes...drink beer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92382.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1145219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37976.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1145220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52746.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1145221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82594.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1145222   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98446.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1145223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20594.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1145224  
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Mr.SelfDestruct

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

Some beer... and your good!

Oh yeah, don't forget to run it next to some beach honey's! LOL.
lol
Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

When we go to the beach I always run mine, but like "keithinspace" said stay away from the saltwater it will kill your truck. I have severly damaged 2 different trucks getting to close to the water, actually I wasn't close to the water I was in it, dang sneaker waves.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
ShoestringRacer

On any nitros I run on the beach I use a regular hose clamp to make sure the air filter stays on the carb...nice and tight. And Outerwears on the airfilter is good too to keep sand from getting to the airfilter. If you have to change or check a glow plug turn the car upside down to take it out and put it in. Sand is bound to get on the head around the glow plug and it's just too easy for it to fall in if you remove a plug. To turn it upsidedown with fuel in the tank if necessary you can take the carb end fuel line and put it on the tanks outlet pressure tap to close the loop to prevent flooding but you have to be extra careful when doing that on the carb obviously. Also becareful to not spill any fuel on the tank or anywhere when filling up because when the fuel evaporates the left over oil will attract the sand. It's not terrible but makes for less to clean off after. I've found paddles on the rear only is best. (on any 4wd) On the front paddles will actually hinder steering response as the paddles only grab when under power - off throttle they slide over the sand when on the front...and on the front they will fling even more sand on the chassis. Although it is kind of cool having 4 paddles sling the sand.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

When we go to the beach I always run mine, but like "keithinspace" said stay away from the saltwater it will kill your truck. I have severly damaged 2 different trucks getting to close to the water, actually I wasn't close to the water I was in it, dang sneaker waves.
Especially in particular, on the bearings, that saltwater will most likely eat away at the bearings like no tomorrow as well as make a big mess of the rest of the truck......
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
nhoj_yelbom

i have been thinking about this for a long time, saltwater tears up our boats even with vigorous washings
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Geardaddys

When I was about 10 or 11 years old (35 now!) I had a tamiya Frog.. Took it down to the ocean and was having a blast with it.. I was chasing the surf in and out when my rx batteries went out.. unfortunately I was heading towards the water at full tilt boogie when the rx battery croaked.. I think EVERY piece of metal on the car turned green.. I tried to save it a few times by removing all the green corrosion but it was NEVER the same and was the beggining of the end for that buggy!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Straick

I run my Revo in the snow all the time, and during the summer in sand. If you will be running in sand a lot, a hardened spur and clutchbell combo will be your best friends. The spur won't wear out like the stock one does. Just have to have your slipper set properly. The only other "mandatory" part will be a good quality 2 or 3 stage air filter. The stock Traxxas ones are garbage if you're running in sand. I only oil the inner foam filter on mine and keep the outer one dry. The outer one catches the larger dirt and a lot of the sand, and the inner the finer debris. I also carry a portable air tank with blow gun to blow out the prefilter, and the truck when done in sand.
Biggest piece of advice, be ready for some major cleanup of the truck and where ever you put it to transport it. After a snow run, I set my truck in the shower with a portable fan forced heater blowing on it without the body to force dry/melt. The sand will pack in between the body and chassis, but if your jump it every now and then, the sand underneath will get knocked off of the truck. Still have to replace bearings every year or two even with hitting them with a penetrant grease after all's dry.
The only real wear I can find on it so far from the hard running for several years is that the driveshafts all need to be rebuilt soon. The universal in them are getting sloppy.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
keithinspace

ORIGINAL: Geardaddys
When I was about 10 or 11 years old (35 now!) I had a tamiya Frog..
HAAAAA!!! Me and my brother ran our Frogs 8 hours a day, every day. Had a track in the back yard. I'm 34, he's 37. He actually still has his (sentimental). Thought they were awesome then...if you drive it now, you'd laugh.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:58 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: keithinspace

Here are some pictures my wife took when we went to Ocracoke a couple years ago...at this point, my truck was about 9 months old with a fresh Picco MAX and about half my current upgrades.

And yes, my wife can handle a camera quite well...

Some recommendations:

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT QUESTION NEVER, EVER, EVER GET YOUR TRUCK ANYWHERE NEAR SALTWATER. Waterproofed or not, it will destroy everything. Saltwater is HATEFUL on copper, steel, and bearings. Not to mention that, unless it is DEAD STILL, any water you encounter will probably have sand agitated in it which will kill any moving parts it encounters.

As you can see from the pictures, sand gets packed everywhere inside the truck. I didn't have a center diff and was going through spur gears like bubble gum, and this day was no different. I ran for about 3/4 of a tank and the truck started slowing significantly. Kept driving and it eventually stopped. Melted the spur down to mush. I figure sand got in all the driveshafts and put so much resistance into the drivetrain that it eventually just crapped itself. Sand was packed EVERYWHERE.

When you get the truck home DO NOT take the air filter off. Guaranteed, a grain of sand will get into the intake trumpet. Then it'll get into the engine. Then it'll score your cylinder. Then your engine is wrecked. Be very, very careful about how you handle your car/engine until you get all the sand off. Best thing is probably to not touch anything until it cools, then just remove the engine, air filter and all. That way you can control where the sand falls.

Even though I ran my truck on dry sand WELL away from any type of moisture or water, the MIP steel driveshafts still rusted. As did all the stock pushrods. It was because of this single trip to the beach that I bought the TRX hollow pushrods...hated rust on my truck.

It was fun for about 5 minutes, but I doubt I'll ever take my truck to the beach again. It was a real pain in the butt, fraught with real danger of ruining my engine and screwing up my car.

I go to the Outer Banks at least 3 times a year and regularly drive my 1:1 truck on the beach. Every time, I see some yahoo in a Jeep driving in the surf, splashing in the saltwater. Idiots. Saltwater kills stuff...that's just how it is.

Just thought I'd share my experience. But hey, out of these 5 minutes of fun and 5 hours of hell and ~$200 fixing it (all new shafts, all new pushrods, new gears, new clutch, new slipper, and 2 cans of cleaner spray), I got these GREAT pictures!!!

Have fun! And yes...drink beer.
Good advice.

Saltwater is a mild acid that will eat through anything over time.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my revo to glamis before. I didnt sand proof anything, i just cleaned the air filter after every tank. And if you dont know what glamis is. Its a huge area of dunes that you can just go ride quads, dirtbikes, buggys, you name it, its out there. But anywyas, my bone stock revo did great. Jumping off 30 ft tall razorbacks is a blast!! I need paddles now.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: So Cal Nitro Basher

I took my revo to glamis before. I didnt sand proof anything, i just cleaned the air filter after every tank. And if you dont know what glamis is. Its a huge area of dunes that you can just go ride quads, dirtbikes, buggys, you name it, its out there. But anywyas, my bone stock revo did great. Jumping off 30 ft tall razorbacks is a blast!! I need paddles now.
Yea!!! now thats the way to go man!!! [8D] I too have heard from several people that the glamis area is a blast to go out and run the trucks in....too bad u dont have any pics of it in action....or do ya?? If u do have any pics, would love to see them. [8D]
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: matts6887

ORIGINAL: So Cal Nitro Basher

Yea!!! now thats the way to go man!!! [8D] I too have heard from several people that the glamis area is a blast to go out and run the trucks in....too bad u dont have any pics of it in action....or do ya?? If u do have any pics, would love to see them. [8D]
Unfortunately i dont. But since i just got a muggy i have to take it to the dunes for its initiation. So in a week when we go im going to take it and get some pics of it flying off razor backs and trying to climb china wall. (steepest 350 ft tall 500 ft long dune thet averyone goes to to race up and down)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 AM
hman123467

From my sand driving experience (1), if you have no paddle tyres, keep your car moving!!! or you will get bogged. Be wary of sand as it gets EVERYWHERE!! I covered my electric motor with nylon stockings as suggested and no sand in the motor (hooray!!). but if using petrol, get sand in the carburettor and there goes your engine (and 200$). But do it right and it'll be an experience to remember

hman out