Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Thinking about switching fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
michaelwash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about switching fuel

First off I have be running Traxxas 20% in all my trucks. And have heard go and a lot off bad about the stuff.
So, first off. Can I switch to another fuel? I have heard, you have to stick with the same fuel. And if I can switch, are
there any steps I must take. And at my LHS, the only other fuels they carry are Trinity Monster , XTM and some other
stuff that is cheep. And I know I don't want that stuff. Or should I start mail ordering something better?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
jikkuria

Default RE: Thinking about switching fuel

i switched from traxxas to trinity 30% and it has been running great, i've heard good things about xtm, but have never run it. i've also heard great things about losi nitrotane.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
mikel05
My Feedback: (1)

the trinity 20% is a great fuel i run it in everything , wait till you see the difference from that traxxas crap, traxxas has too much oil in it , good for breakin but thats it!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
michaelwash

What about switching from 20% to 30%?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: michaelwash

What about switching from 20% to 30%?
Well, as far as this goes, I would stick with 20% because the engine will last longer overall than it will on 30%; and as far as switching fuels; I would switch to something like trinity, or odonells as well because it will definitely be better than traxxas stuff; even I will admit that(even though I still have some traxxas stuff left to use myself)....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
fabrimacator21

You want fuel with 8-12% oil. Any higher or lower and you'll run into problems.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
absolutemayhem

also on my tz i ran traxxas 33% and a super hot plug, but when i switched to o'donnel 30% i had to go to a hot plug because i was getting detention with the super hot plug
Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
MMT GUNS

I've been in the hobby since the early 80's I have tried Trinity, Traxxas, O'Donnell and almost all in between and non of them are as good as Blue Thunder 20% for the average basher (my thought dough) heard good thing about Byron fuel and the XTM but haven't tried it yet.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
DaveG55

To switch fuel is easy. One 20% to another 20% all you have to do is set the carb to factory and retune.
Switching to a 30% fuel may require that you change glow plugs and maybe take out a head shim in addation to retuning.

You can switch fuels. All those old sayings about staying with a brand or go up but not down in %, etc are BS. You can use as many different fuels as often as you are willing to reset-up/retune your engine and no harm will come.

Which fuel to use is a very individual thing, though most will agree that Top Fuel is too oily. Personally I like O'Donnell's and have had bad luck with Blue Thunder and Traxxas, but that's me, your results may vary.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
rcnitrohead

I haven't been a happy camper with the original Traxxas fuel, made all of my engines run like trash. Their new Power Plus formula gives more power, but I'm having the same problem of the one way bearing slipping on me and that is directly related to the lubrication Traxxas uses, though I do not know the exact percent they use in the new blend. I recommend Byron's, Sidewinder, and O'Donnell's but I've heard good about Nitrotane/Trinity/Maxy's. As long as you retune after switching brands or percents there is no danger. Some engines may need compression adjustments through head shims, but if you are running an RTR engine they usually don't need anything. Oh and 20 VS 30% is bull, engines run cooler on 30% so feel free to use whatever you need, and if there is a decrease in life it is so small that it is negligible.

Tom.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
MMT GUNS

I guess it depend on how well different engine accept fuel brand mixture.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I haven't been a happy camper with the original Traxxas fuel, made all of my engines run like trash. Their new Power Plus formula gives more power, but I'm having the same problem of the one way bearing slipping on me and that is directly related to the lubrication Traxxas uses, though I do not know the exact percent they use in the new blend. I recommend Byron's, Sidewinder, and O'Donnell's but I've heard good about Nitrotane/Trinity/Maxy's. As long as you retune after switching brands or percents there is no danger. Some engines may need compression adjustments through head shims, but if you are running an RTR engine they usually don't need anything. Oh and 20 VS 30% is bull, engines run cooler on 30% so feel free to use whatever you need, and if there is a decrease in life it is so small that it is negligible.

Tom.
+1; I happen to definitely agree with tom here; especially the stuff about byron's fuel; I have used their stuff myself and have found it to be very good stuff for almost, all, if not all engines(at least the ones Ive run so far anyways)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
dakamat

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

To switch fuel is easy. One 20% to another 20% all you have to do is set the carb to factory and retune.
Switching to a 30% fuel may require that you change glow plugs and maybe take out a head shim in addation to retuning.

You can switch fuels. All those old sayings about staying with a brand or go up but not down in %, etc are BS. You can use as many different fuels as often as you are willing to reset-up/retune your engine and no harm will come.

Which fuel to use is a very individual thing, though most will agree that Top Fuel is too oily. Personally I like O'Donnell's and have had bad luck with Blue Thunder and Traxxas, but that's me, your results may vary.
[:@]Just a little correction here, if you switch from 20% to 30%, you don't have to take out a head shim, but you have to put another one
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Your best bet is to experiment with the brands that are easy for you to find/purchase. Start with those that cost the least and work your way up. You WILL find one that works great for you at the best price in your market
Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
michaelwash

OK so if I go up to 30%. how do you know when to add shims and how many?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
scoobs92

ive ran blue thunder for over 2 years now and havent had no problems with it i tried traxxas top fuel and i was very po at how my truck ran i gave the hole gallon away