Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Glow plug probems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
dtwallace84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plug probems

I own a revo 3.3 and im burning through glow plugs like crazy. When I start it with fresh glowplug it will fire up and run but when I shut down the truck the glow plug will not fire back up again. I have adjusted my carb to many different setting and took apart the engine to clean it out but problem still happens. Anybody know what my problem may be?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
mikel05
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Glow plug probems

whats the outside temp. where you live ? i suspect it is very cold try richening up your carb, when in dought i use a plug called FIREBALL there good and there cheap 12 plugs for 26 dollars, on ebay, why burn up 7 dollar plugs just to find out that your too lean due to the weather, also keep an eye on your engine temp[ very important ] i had the same problem last week, its more like the plugs go bad when the engine cools down, then the plug pops, dont be afraid to richen it up.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed; also, if u are running a tad too lean, or a tad too rich, it can also burn up plugs like that if u are not in the right range as far as the needles go... one other thing; another good plug to use that I use is the mccoy mc59. I have yet to have any real issues with them....
Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 PM
michaelwash

+1 on the MC59
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: matts6887

Indeed; also, if u are running a tad too lean, or a tad too rich, it can also burn up plugs like that if u are not in the right range as far as the needles go... one other thing; another good plug to use that I use is the mccoy mc59. I have yet to have any real issues with them....
You are correct, sir! Running too rich will eat plugs faster than running too lean, too.

If you put a plug run in an engine too lean under decent magnification and light it you will see all sorts of deposits along the coil.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: matts6887

You are correct, sir! Running too rich will eat plugs faster than running too lean, too.

If you put a plug run in an engine too lean under decent magnification and light it you will see all sorts of deposits along the coil.
yes indeed, I have been down that road before(sad to say) so yes I know exactly what u mean;(but fortunately it didnt totally "ruin" my engine at the time)...it just comes with experience in the nitro side of things I guess; but once u have experienced a lean condition like that; obviously "one" should take the time to correct the problem; otherwise there could be even bigger problems in store....
Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 AM
mikel05
My Feedback: (1)

mccoy 59 plugs r really good unfortunitly you can never find a good deal on them i often have to spend 14$ for 2 of them so i try to make sure i have my tuning rite ive had mccoys in some of my picco engines for months
Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 AM
motormouth27

You might be running it to lean or rich. Check the glow plug and see if is wet with fuel if it is your running it rich.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: motormouth27

You might be running it to lean or rich. Check the glow plug and see if is wet with fuel if it is your running it rich.
Indeed, it can. Look at some of what the above posts mentions and u will see.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
srad750c

Set all needles to factory settings then try it, your settings are probably very rich. What is nitro content of your fuel? What is temp outside? I have used a lot of different plugs and fuel combinations and the best for me is a 30-33% nitro with a cold plug. I use this plug, Megatech MTC1692 plug, it can really take some abuse. Get them here $4.99 http://www.discounthobbies4u.com/tek...ific=jqpqopirc
I use Sidewinder or O'Donnell's fuel and I use a Hobbico Supershot2 glow starter instead. . Broke my truck out today for the first time in 6 months. I had some old Traxxas fuel I need to use up so, I used it, truck started instantly. It was about 75 here in NC today. Truck was really flying today! Here is a pic of glow plug with a good needle settings. Any comments from anyone on this plug shot?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30366.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1152563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28242.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1152564  
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM
ridikt

ORIGINAL: mikel05

mccoy 59 plugs r really good unfortunitly you can never find a good deal on them i often have to spend 14$ for 2 of them so i try to make sure i have my tuning rite ive had mccoys in some of my picco engines for months
try [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Twelve-McCoy-MC-59-Glow-Plugs-Hot_W0QQitemZ270354043698QQihZ017QQcategoryZ44028Q QcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262]this[/link] . its where i just got some. best deal i have seen in a while