Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

question about rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
maxxin2.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about rpm?

i have the first gen maxx. the .15 maxx..
i have converted the enigne to a 2.5 and i am looking to get a 3.3 but first i want to make sure my truck is ready for the beating sao i will be getting rpm all around.. but one question..

can i buy the t-maxx 2.5 arms and have them fit with no problems or do i have to buy t-maxx .15 arms??

thanks a lot
Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
ridikt

Default RE: question about rpm?

i would convert it to 3.3 arms as well. i think the 3.3 will rip up your stock drive lines. i converted my 2.5 to all 3.3 suspension and drive line and it didnt cost me much at all. makes the truck handle alot better as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
maxxin2.5

ok well i am looking to get a 3.3 later down the road

first i want to make my truck able to handle it then get the 3.3

so first i am gonna get rpm arms all around.. but i am debating on .15 2.5 or 3.3

if i get the 2.5 arms i have to get new turnbuckles which i dont think is to much.. but if i buy the .15 i dont have to get the turnbuckles..

Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
ridikt

if your wanting to stay cheap just get the .15, especially if you are planning on getting the 3.3 later. i put all the 3.3 stuff on mine cause i didnt like the looks of the longer chassis, but like the wider stance.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
dacaur

DONT stick with the .15 arms, that's money down the drain... the handling with the wider arms is so MUCH better, you wont regret it. While rpm sells "2.5" arms, their 3.3 arms work with either a 2.5 or 3.3, the only difference between the two is that the 3.3 maxx uses bigger diameter driveshafts, so the 3.3 arms have a little pocket molded into the arm so the driveshaft doesn't hit it.

I was in the same boat as you. Instead of just upgrading to the 3.3 arms all around, I went with 3.3 arms in front and the tru track conversion in the rear. You NEED 2.5R/3.3 driveshafts to use the trutrack conversion, but those can be had for about $20 off ebay. Then you either need to upgrade the front axle carriers to 2.5R/3.3 carriers, or get some 2.5 driveshafts for the front (different bearing sizes.) I went with RPM, since they come with the bearings, and they are bigger than even the 3.3 bearings too....

$50 for the trutrack might seem like a lot, but consider that just to upgrade to 2.5 arms is about $35... 2 sets of arms at $12 each and a set of toe links.... so its really only costing you $15 more, and you get to eliminate rear toe links and have perfect toe-in without having to worry about it....
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
maxxin2.5

its only gonna be around 40$ to get rpm arms all the way around..

and i do not feel like spending 40$ just for tru track on one side of my truck

cause its 40$ for one set for one side.. so tghats 80$ already and another 20$ for rpm arms up front.. and i still have to get linkages and the dirveshafts for the rear so in reality it will be around 50-60$ more... right??

im not sure what im talking about.. i need links and stuff to know what im talking about..
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
dacaur

If you go with the wider arms, you need new driveshafts no matter what, and the 3.3 shafts are much stronger, AND have the rubber boots to seal out dust and dirt from the sliders....

One tru-track set does both sides. So to upgrade your truck you would need one of those and then 2 sets of arms for the front, and 1 set of toe links for the front. In reality it would only cost less than $20 more than upgrading to normal rpm arms, the upgrade is totaly worth that... (you can get a set of 3.3 driveshafts, including the ones that go from the tranny to the diffs, for $20 plus $6 shipping on ebay) You can also get a set of 3.3 axle carriers for the front for $5.99 plus $3.25 shipping off ebay, then you could use the 3.3 shafts in the front too.... The prices in quoting here are buy it now, so if you bid, you might get them even cheaper....
Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
maxxin2.5

could you give me parts # or links because reading it over i am terribly confused..
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
maxxin2.5

so i will need this

X1 true track conversion
X2 rpm arms
X1 3.3 driveshaft
X1 3.3 front driveshafts
X1 3.3 axel cariers
X2 t-maxx 3.3 steering turnbuckles?

is that what i would need?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
maxxin2.5

i think i will just go with rpm arms all around because the true track will cost me quite a lot more money..

because 40$ for tru track 25$ for two rpm arms driveshafts 20$ and the cariers are 10$ then the turnbuckleas are 10$ so for thatbsetup it will be around 100$

and for rpm arms it will be 45$ plus 10$ for turnbuckles

so if you can convince me it will only cost me a little more than that i might consider it but until then i still am going for just rpm arms all arond
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: maxxin2.5

could you give me parts number or links because reading it over i am terribly confused..
from RPM you need 2 sets of these: (pick one part # and get 2 of them)
80461 T-Maxx 2.5R/3.3 & E-Maxx 16.8 A-arms - Dyeable White
80462 T-Maxx 2.5R/3.3 & E-Maxx 16.8 A-arms - Black
80465 T-Maxx 2.5R/3.3 & E-Maxx 16.8 A-arms - Blue
80468 T-Maxx 2.5R/3.3 & E-Maxx 16.8 A-arms - Purple

and One of these:
80942 T/E-Maxx True-Track Rear A-arm Conversion - Black
80945 T/E-Maxx True-Track Rear A-arm Conversion - Blue

we arent supposed to post ebay links here, but from ebay you need:

2 steering knuckles pulled from a #3905 or #3908 emaxx or tmaxx. you can get them in sets of 2 or 4, if you get the trutrack you just need 2. (Just type "maxx Axle Carriers" into the ebay search box. it doesnt matter if they were pull from a 16.8 E-maxx, 3.3 t-maxx, 2.5r t-maxx, revo, or slayer, they are all the same part.)

A set of 4 driveshafts pulled from any 2.5R or 3.3 t-maxx or 16.8v emaxx... (type "maxx 3.3 driveshafts " into the search box

and then of course you need the toe links...

If you decide to go with normal arms all around, you just need 4 sets of the normal arms, the driveshafts, two sets of toe links, and a set of 4 axle carriers....
Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
maxxin2.5

i am getting mixed answers.. i was told that all i neede would be rpms arms all around and turnbuckles..

because if i have to buy all that other stuff them i will just go with the regular .15 rpm arms..
Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: maxxin2.5

i think i will just go with rpm arms all around because the true track will cost me quite a lot more money..

because 40$ for tru track 25$ for two rpm arms driveshafts 20$ and the cariers are 10$ then the turnbuckleas are 10$ so for thatbsetup it will be around 100$

and for rpm arms it will be 45$ plus 10$ for turnbuckles

so if you can convince me it will only cost me a little more than that i might consider it but until then i still am going for just rpm arms all arond
Well, if you go with the narrow .15 arms then sure you can do it for around $40, since you wont need new toe links.
But ask around, and people will tell you the wide arms are totally worth it, especially if you are going to be using a 3.3 later...

If you go with the wide arms, your total cost will be about $85, since you will NEED new driveshafts. the old ones will work, but only until they twist apart, which will be soon. You can get a set of 2.5 driveshafts off ebay for about $30. But they may not hold up to the power of a 3.3.

If you go with the trutrack, yes it will end up costing about $100-$110, but you dont have to worry about breaking rear toe links when you come down off a jump on one tire, or getting your rear toe bumped out of alignment, or funky handling caused by bad rear toe adjustments.

Its not up to me to convince you, I am just letting you know that since you are upgrading anyway, now is a good time to go with the trutrack setup... but in the end, its your call. Sometimes if you spend a little extra now, you avoid spending a lot more later...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
maxxin2.5

ok so if i was to not get a 3.3.. and even if i do it wont be untill maybe a year or so..

can i buy only the t-maxx 2.5 wide rpm arms and turnbuckles then be set to use them with my 2.5?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
maxxin2.5

im sorry for making you sound like you had to convince me.. wrong words i ment like tell me..or w/e

but may i ask you this..

if i was to stay with my trx 2.5 could i buy

true track
rpm arms for front and steering turnbuckles and be set ?

or do i HAVE to buy the driveshaft for the truetrack?

because i highly doubt i will get a 3.3 anytime soon..
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
dacaur

The truetrack will only work with the 3.3 axles.

the stock axles on a .15 maxx are too short for 2.5/3.3 arms. Like I said, you can get it all put together and it will look like it will work, since they are slider shafts they can extend to make up the extra width, but that leaves less contact area in the sliders, That plus the extra power of the 2.5 engine, and it wont be long before they twist apart on you. So you need new axles with the wide arms,

You can do one of two things.

Get the 2.5 arms for about $30

or

Get 3.3 axles and axle acarriers for about $35-$40 (depending on who you buy it from, some sellers will combine the shipping if you buy both from them.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
maxxin2.5

so no matter what if i buy rpm arms for a 2.5 i would have to buy driveshafts?

the whole concept confuses me.. i wisdh i just had a 2.5 t-maxx