Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

the stupid DX3S roller button..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Switch_639

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the stupid DX3S roller button..

why is it breaking? see for yourself...

here is a question... why wouldn't it break?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
madmaxx1

Default RE: the stupid DX3S roller button..

poor design/cheap plastic. do a search on google or even these forum's and see how many other frustrated DX3s user's there are with the exact same issue....
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Switch_639

notice the left side is where the button is at and the right side is so thin compared to it... and also the first problem is the button where it presses on the left hand side where as the DX3R is being pressed in the center which makes way more sense if it is using the same roller button which it is probably not... I am now gonna use a steel shaft all the way through the roller button and then shift the white press button to the center... need to design new circuit board, but if thats what it takes... this is the second time it has broken...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 PM
madmaxx1

make shure that steel shaft don't short anything out or cause any interference....
Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Switch_639

it wont, its isolated by the I think pot they using for the scroller function there... its all plastic and my shaft will be running into it...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
madmaxx1

any chance you could use a wood dowel? this way there will be no chance of shorting out or interference? usually you can find the dowel's at a craft store or a hardware store....

i wouldn't want to risk damaging my brand new $300 radio....

guess you got no warranty?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Switch_639

not anymore... and I payed R2900 for it which of the two receivers are worth R2500 here in SA... so which means the remote is worth nothing almost... which made it a good deal... I will fix her up to work for a long time...
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Hopped

What material is the rotating part of the potentiometer made of ?

If it's metal, using a metal replacement shaft for the roller will most likely cause some interference. If it's plastic should be ok to replace with metal.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Hopped

Could we have some pics of the fix Switch.[8D]
Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Switch_639

have not yet done the fix... but will do when done... the pot rotating part is plastic...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 AM
madmaxx1

so you bought this brand new and you have no warranty why? IMO the switch was made from plastic for a reason but hey it's your remote [8D]
Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Switch_639

its made of plastic for a reason? so it was intended to break? I dont think so... the DX3R switch is in the center of the roller button, much much better... now the weight and force of your finger is evenly spread, unlike the S version where all force is on left hand side pulling the right hand side up, no wonder its breaking all the time... I have no warranty because I stripped open the whole remote and am now gonna replace the circuit board in there with my own design where I am gonna shift the button to the center... and then gonna replace the plastic shaft with a steel one...
Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wumTvSYYC4[/youtube]

As you can see I had the same thoughts and problems. Problem that Horizon Hobbies discribed is the the scroll button mechanism was mounted on the circut board at an angle and not straight. My fix was with a old allen wrench, but being that there was no give it broke the scroll mechanism off the circut board. I thought for sure I'd end up paying for the fix but I sent it int o Horizon and they are fixing it under warranty. Horizon received it April 21, 2009 and a guy said on Friday 1, 2009 that I have a 2 to 3 week wait. On Friday they were working on orders from April 7, 2009. I've considered selling it when I get it back and trying a different brand. May even sell the Losi XXL that it came with. The last 45 days is the worst of my R/C Experience. Good luck to everyone out there. As far as interference, after I fixed the radio with the allen wrench it worked flawlessly with my Losi LST XXL. I never experienced any problems. If there were an interference problem it would act-up right as I turned it on. It wouldn't start small and slightly progress. It would be very noticeable.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Switch_639

yeah well... I have all this tele equipment now, cause I got me the nitro tele pack also to use with my lap trigger for lap times... so I am gonna redesign the circuit board for better and not for worse... and also gonna check what to do with the roller button... definitely also gonna go steel and hex wrench... what size hex is that BTW?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to get back to you on the size. It was bigger then the hole, I ground it down with a dremel to fit the scroll hole then drilled the scroll button a size small and pushed it in. Like I said, I'll get back toy you on the size of the allen wrench.